• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In the beginning...

jonathan180iq

1) If there is space, energy and time but no matter, can anything be created?
Can something come from nothing? No.

I challenge you to show me a Cosmological point where "nothing" has ever been a state of existence. There has always been something, and we are part of that something.

3) If there is time, matter and space but no energy, how could anything be created?
This scenario is impossible unless you have a Universe that's at total equilibrium - and that doesn't happen.

4) If there is matter, space and energy but no time, when could anything be created?
Again, no.
http://physics.ucr.edu/~wudka/Physics7/Notes_www/Pdf_downloads/6.pdf

5) Where did space, energy, time and matter come from?
For all we know, they are an innate property of the Universe. If not:
quantum-gravity-nature-online.jpg

6) Is the universe finite or infinite and if, it is infinite, can the age be determined?
Origins of matter can absolutely be traced back to their general starting point - but that only works for building blocks - not for Space Time itself... Our understanding of time is little more than a relative construct. There is no such thing as absolute time.

7) If anyone cares to answer, I am looking for answers that can be supported by empirical scientific evidence, not theories.
If you aren't interested in theoretical physics then you have no business asking these questions, do you?

HonestJoe

Can any cosmology evolutionist answer these questions for me?
I doubt it. The detailed concepts seem to be horribly complex and difficult to get your head around and anyway, there’s a significant element of “nobody knows”.

As best this layman can say, your first four questions are somewhat meaningless. Current theories suggest that time and space (as you’re thinking of it) were created with the universe while matter and energy are essentially interchangeable in this context. The “Big Bang” basically describes a singularity of matter/energy that expanded to create the Universe and everything in it (including time and “space”). Where that came from is, I think, one of the “nobody knows” questions.

Determining the age of the universe requires understand how it came to be. Based on current theories of how the universe came to be and how it expanded in that early phase can be used to estimate it’s age, measuring things that can be predicted based on the theories now to work out how long it would take them to reach that state. It’s a bit like those logic puzzles with two trains moving towards each other at specified speeds and predicting when they’ll pass each other.

Frankly, if you really want detailed scientific explanations of these things, you’d be better off asking for them in some kind of formal scientific forum rather than a religious debate one.

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
Can any cosmology evolutionist answer these questions for me?

In the beginning...

1) If there is space, energy and time but no matter, can anything be created?

2) If there is energy, time and matter but no space, where would anything created be placed?

3) If there is time, matter and space but no energy, how could anything be created?

4) If there is matter, space and energy but no time, when could anything be created?

5) Where did space, energy, time and matter come from?

6) Is the universe finite or infinite and if, it is infinite, can the age be determined?

7) If anyone cares to answer, I am looking for answers that can be supported by empirical scientific evidence, not theories.

@sayak83 may know. He makes threads answering these sort of things :)

Ted Evans

Premium Member
Yes, I recommend Lawrence Krauss' excellent book "A Universe from Nothing"

No, I highly recommend AIG...now, does that convince you that nothing can be created without time, energy, space and matter? No? I did not think so, so why should I be convinced by your response? But to be fair, provide a link to an article that has verifiable proof that something can be created without those four components, with examples, and I will read every word, IF, you will agree to answer every question that I may ask with plausible, verifiable answers, are you interested?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I hope that this thread isn't just another thread that has it that because we don't know some answers that this means a deity must have created all.

BTW, d'yall notice that it's always a "deity" and not "deities"?

Ted Evans

Premium Member
Not sure that makes sense but I'll say I don't know

"don't know" That is a reasonable answer. As for making sense, I do not know what there is about space, time, energy and matter that makes no sense. The question seems quite simple to me, if one has energy, matter and time to create something but there was no space, where would you place that creation?

DavidFirth

I hope that this thread isn't just another thread that has it that because we don't know some answers that this means a deity must have created all.

BTW, d'yall notice that it's always a "deity" and not "deities"?

It also doesn't mean a deity did not create or does not exist.

I'm with you as long as you include that statement.

Ted Evans

Premium Member
I recommend Lawrence Krauss' excellent book "A Universe from Nothing"
Where did god come from?

I recommend AIG...anyone can write a book but the question is can they provide verifiable evidence that substantiates their assertions?

To answer you question, I have no idea but that is not the topic of the OP, is it?

Altfish

Veteran Member
I recommend AIG...anyone can write a book but the question is can they provide verifiable evidence that substantiates their assertions?

To answer you question, I have no idea but that is not the topic of the OP, is it?
Answers in Genesis is a Christian apologetics group whose sole aim is to prove the bible . If the evidence proves contrary to their aims they ignore it. That is NOT science.

DavidFirth

But if you extrapolate backwards from where we are now at the rate of growth that can be measured, we get 13.77 billion years. So yes we can.

But what if God created the universe 10,000 years ago with everything in place including the light and scientists just think it all started millions of years ago? Then the scientists would all be wrong, wouldn't they?

Ted Evans

Premium Member
I know those answers won't satisfy you, but I'm being honest, I'm no expert in this.
They make more sense to me that "God did it" and I'm happy to say, "I don't know" that's what keeps scientists (and me) excited...what might we discover next?

You are correct, and I do appreciate honesty, nothing wrong, in my view of saying "I do not know". I still do not know where space, time, energy and matter came from in the beginning as seen by those that believe in cosmology evolution (CE). IOW, it is a belief by CEs that those components were there, no different than creationist "believe" that God was there and He created those components.

What upsets me are those that scoff at creationists views of creation but try to pass of CE views as being "scientific".

Altfish

Veteran Member
But what if God created the universe 10,000 years ago with everything in place including the light and scientists just think it all started millions of years ago? Then the scientists would all be wrong, wouldn't they?
Yes, if god did create things 10,000 years ago they would be wrong and give me good evidence for that and I'll be the first to change my mind. What would it take for you to change your mind?

Altfish

Veteran Member
You are correct, and I do appreciate honesty, nothing wrong, in my view of saying "I do not know". I still do not know where space, time, energy and matter came from in the beginning as seen by those that believe in cosmology evolution (CE). IOW, it is a belief by CEs that those components were there, no different than creationist "believe" that God was there and He created those components.

What upsets me are those that scoff at creationists views of creation but try to pass of CE views as being "scientific".
It upsets me too that creationists are fed ignorance by Ken Ham, AiG and the likes. CE is scientific, it is based on good evidence and the scientists will alter their views if differing good evidence is found.