• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In the beginning...

Ted Evans

Premium Member
Can any cosmology evolutionist answer these questions for me?

In the beginning...

1) If there is space, energy and time but no matter, can anything be created?

2) If there is energy, time and matter but no space, where would anything created be placed?

3) If there is time, matter and space but no energy, how could anything be created?

4) If there is matter, space and energy but no time, when could anything be created?

5) Where did space, energy, time and matter come from?

6) Is the universe finite or infinite and if, it is infinite, can the age be determined?

7) If anyone cares to answer, I am looking for answers that can be supported by empirical scientific evidence, not theories.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Would you care to share how that answers my questions, or, is it only a deflection?
Not a deflection at all but a correction of your misapprehension of what a theory is and you trying to discount answers that contain references to a theory.

If you want an answer, may I first ask you to explain your god without saying, "She was always there, she is eternal"

DavidFirth

Not a deflection at all but a correction of your misapprehension of what a theory is and you trying to discount answers that contain references to a theory.

If you want an answer, may I first ask you to explain your god without saying, "She was always there, she is eternal"

He explained it Himself. He said I AM. He is the beginning and the end, the alpha and the omega. I doubt our minds are capable of understanding His existence completely.

Ted Evans

Premium Member

I asked the questions first about space, matter, energy and time and the universe, are you trying to deflect from that to "god"? It certainly seems that way to me. Answer my questions with plausible, verifiable answers and I will most certainly answer yours, fair?

Altfish

Veteran Member

In the beginning...

Yes, I recommend Lawrence Krauss' excellent book "A Universe from Nothing"

2) If there is energy, time and matter but no space, where would anything created be placed?
Not sure that makes sense but I'll say I don't know

3) If there is time, matter and space but no energy, how could anything be created?
But there was energy.

4) If there is matter, space and energy but no time, when could anything be created?
Time, as we know it, began at the Big Bang.

I recommend Lawrence Krauss' excellent book "A Universe from Nothing"
Where did god come from?

6) Is the universe finite or infinite and if, it is infinite, can the age be determined?
It is still expanding, measured by the Doppler Effect and Red Shift it is 13.77 billion years old. Is it finite, don't know? We can't see the edges.

7) If anyone cares to answer, I am looking for answers that can be supported by empirical scientific evidence, not theories.
I know those answers won't satisfy you, but I'm being honest, I'm no expert in this.
They make more sense to me that "God did it" and I'm happy to say, "I don't know" that's what keeps scientists (and me) excited...what might we discover next?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Welcome to RF, Ted. Love the avatar, I haven't seen a cardinal since I moved out here to the wild West. I miss the bluejays, too. Our Steller's jays are a poor substitute, IMHO.
Of course, back East I'd never seen any roadrunners or mountain bluebirds, either.

OK, in re your questions:
Yes -- but not by the ordinary, Newtonian physics we observe in everyday life.
How would these things exist without space? They sort of define space.
The question doesn't make sense. Matter is energy -- they're equivalent, and so are time and space.
You need to brush up on your Relativity -- or get a relative and brush up on him...
tongue.gif

Space is time. The two are inextricable, and equivalent. You can't have space and no time.(See last sentence in #3)
This involves physics way over my head. If you're seriously interested it's all there in textbooks and professional journals.
We can no longer understand reality through commonsense and our physical senses. It's all spooky and counter-intuitive.
Both -- depends on how you look at it and define the terms.

So, now I have a question. What the heck is a "cosmology evolutionist?"
dunno.gif

leibowde84

Veteran Member

In the beginning...

I would suggest reading Steven Hawking's "The Grand Design". It answers your questions pretty well. And, just as a spoiler, he explains very well how God or any designer is in no way necessary to explain the origin of the universe.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

In the beginning...

Yes. Energy can be converted into matter. E=mc^2.

Mass is a form of energy. Your question shows a lack of understanding.

And if time, matter, energy, and space are all in existence when any of the others are, none of your questions are relevant.

This assumes a 'cause' for all of these things. It also assumes a time before time existed (to come from), so again your question makes little sense.

Now, at this point we do not know if those assumptions are correct or not. Some of the speculations we have allow for time, matter, space, and energy to exist prior to the current expansion phase of the universe. Other speculations do not.

At this point we have no way to test between the different possibilities. If you find a way to test them, please let someone know.

The current expansion phase is about 13.7 billion years old. What, if anything was before that is unknown. At this point, we don't even know if 'before' is meaningful here.

We can say how long the current expansion phase for our universe has been going on. Unfortunately, we have no evidence to distinguish between the various speculations past that point.

If you want to allow speculation based on the different proposals for quantum gravity, I will be happy to go through some of them.

DavidFirth

I'm talking about our encounter on other threads where I posted 3 questions for you and you refused to answer about 4 times despite me reminding you.

There is no requirement for me to answer your questions. If I answered every question directed at me on here I'd be on here all day. I don't have time for that.