• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In Science We Trust

firedragon

Veteran Member
Survey shows that US atheists are overwhelmingly pro-vax

Survey shows that US atheists are overwhelmingly pro-vax

My guess is that this holds true for atheists everywhere. No?

UAE is almost completely vaccinated. Whole of US is about 60% only. In second place in the world is Brunei. U.S is in the forties in ranking. Malta, being almost completely atheist, is at the 6th place. More than 80% of Hispanic Catholics in the U.S are vaccinated. In research interpretation, must watch out for correlation and causation.

Quite strange.

How do we know these facts? ;)

It seems you are misrepresenting the phrase "trust science" as trust anything said in the name of science, rather than trusting the method. The method that undoubtedly gave you those facts you just used. No one said trust shoddy pseudoscience or bias, did they? To be fair...

No, you are just creating another of your many strawmen.

I'm pointing out that much of what is published in peer-reviewed scientific journals, that uses "the scientific method" and is thus deemed credibly scientific by credible scientists is not actually true. Do you accept this is a fact?

You seem to have this naive attitude that noting the sciences vary wildly in their accuracy and reliability means someone is "anti-science". If this is not your point, do you agree the sciences vary wildly in their accuracy and reliability?

You also seem to have the naive and cartoonish attitude that the poor replication rates in certain sciences is a result of not following "the scientific method" (there is also no such thing as a singular "scientific method"). What they result from are the fact that the sciences, and the application of scientific methods, are human activities and are subject to the limitations and failings of any other human activity.

I treat the sciences as a real world activity with real world results, not some idealised normative fantasy.

Sheldon

Veteran Member
I'm pointing out that much of what is published in peer-reviewed scientific journals, that uses "the scientific method" and is thus deemed credibly scientific by credible scientists is not actually true. Do you accept this is a fact?
Where is the objective evidence for this clam obtained? If not from the scientific method?

Sheldon

Veteran Member
What they result from are the fact that the sciences, and the application of scientific methods, are human activities and are subject to the limitations and failings of any other human activity.
Now that's a straw man, and one need only read my posts on this to know that.

Sheldon

Veteran Member
If it matters, I have been vaccinated 3 times against covid (2 AZ, 1 Pfizer), although I currently have myocarditis (inflammation of the heart) as a result of the booster. This is acknowledged as a side-effect with 'unknown' probability so it was a risk I chose to take.
Sorry to hear that, now was your motivation to receive the vaccine not based on scientific evidence of its efficacy then?

Or is that just naïve scientism?

Sheldon

Veteran Member
If this is not your point, do you agree the sciences vary wildly in their accuracy and reliability?

Define sciences for me? How are you obtaining this information exactly? How is the obtaining of this information not part of science exactly? Do you have access to some other method of validating conclusions scientists make then?

I treat the sciences as a real world activity with real world results, not some idealised normative fantasy.

Maybe they can find some cream for that monstrously enlarged ego?

In other news I've been reading excerpts from the creationist Kent Hovind's doctoral dissertation for his PhD. Of course I'm just a simple atheist, not a genius like you, so maybe I can ask you a few questions about his "scientific facts"?

Last edited:

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Saying "trust the science" is about the most unscientific attitude I can imagine. In some fields published research replicates at below 50%, and significant amounts of published science is impacted by poor methodology, personal bias, deliberate manipulation, etc.

I said "trust science" which is different than "trust the science". :)

That said, I agree that a lot of sloppy work has been done and called "science".

F1fan

Veteran Member
I'm vaxxed so sure.

But I'm also pro choice for individuals to make their own decisions as what they want to do with their bodies. It's not for others to decide.
Right. And these people should wear a big red letter A on their clothes in public so we can identify them. For public safety.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Why would anyone trust pharmaceutical companies?
Because We the people hire officials that operate on our behalf to make sure these companies do ethical work. Of course we have to elect ethical people who work on the behalf of the public good.

Their goal is to keep us addicted to lots of pills. For every real or imagined ailment.
Don't take the pills. And elect ethical officials who will hold these unethical companies accountable so drug companies will learn not to do unethical things to the public.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
If it matters, I have been vaccinated 3 times against covid (2 AZ, 1 Pfizer), although I currently have myocarditis (inflammation of the heart) as a result of the booster. This is acknowledged as a side-effect with 'unknown' probability so it was a risk I chose to take.
Sorry to hear that, now was your motivation to receive the vaccine not based on scientific evidence of its efficacy then?
You have not answered Sheldon's question. Why did you get vaxed and have even taken a booster dose? Side effects are possible with all medication.