• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Immaculate conception 2.0

King Phenomenon

What does it mean to u?

I think it means Jesus was born of god and just appeared.

no mommy involved

hey he rose from the dead too so why not right?

Now do I believe this meaning?
That’s another story

Last edited:

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What does it mean to u?

no mommy involved

That’s another story
There are five distinct versions of Jesus in the NT ─ those of Paul and the respective authors of Mark, Matthew, Luke and John.

Paul's Jesus pre-existed in heaven with God, and (in the role of the gnostic demiurge) created he material universe. Paul tells us nothing about his parentage or birth except that he was descended from David. That implies that he was born of a Jewish family, so perhaps we may imply that his spirit entered the zygote at the moment of conception.

The Jesus of Mark is an ordinary Jew until his baptism, at which point he becomes the "son of God" because God adopts him, as [he] had adopted David in Psalm 2:7. Unlike the other four, he's not descended from David.

The Jesuses of Matthew and of Luke have in common that his mother was a virgin and that he was the product of divine insemination ─ and since he was a male, that means at the least that he had God's Y-chromosome.

The Jesus of John, like the Jesus of Paul, pre-existed in heaven with God and made the material universe. And since he too was said to be descended from David, perhaps we may make the same inferences as with Paul's Jesus about his birth.

With those three basis models to choose from ─ visitor from heaven, ordinary Jew adopted, and product of divine insemination ─ it may be gilding the lily to devise more ways; but that of course is a matter for you.

King Phenomenon

There are five distinct versions of Jesus in the NT ─ those of Paul and the respective authors of Mark, Matthew, Luke and John.

Paul's Jesus pre-existed in heaven with God, and (in the role of the gnostic demiurge) created he material universe. Paul tells us nothing about his parentage or birth except that he was descended from David. That implies that he was born of a Jewish family, so perhaps we may imply that his spirit entered the zygote at the moment of conception.

The Jesus of Mark is an ordinary Jew until his baptism, at which point he becomes the "son of God" because God adopts him, as [he] had adopted David in Psalm 2:7. Unlike the other four, he's not descended from David.

The Jesuses of Matthew and of Luke have in common that his mother was a virgin and that he was the product of divine insemination ─ and since he was a male, that means at the least that he had God's Y-chromosome.

The Jesus of John, like the Jesus of Paul, pre-existed in heaven with God and made the material universe. And since he too was said to be descended from David, perhaps we may make the same inferences as with Paul's Jesus about his birth.

With those three basis models to choose from ─ visitor from heaven, ordinary Jew adopted, and product of divine insemination ─ it may be gilding the lily to devise more ways; but that of course is a matter for you.
Looks like all three of them lillied it up. I might as well do some lillying of my own

King Phenomenon

Never knew Paul believed Jesus created the universe

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Never knew Paul believed Jesus created the universe
1 Corinthians 8:6 yet for us there is one God, the Father, from whom are all things and for whom we exist, and one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom are all things and through whom we exist.​

And in John:

John 1:2 He was in the beginning with God; 3 all things were made through him, and without him was not anything made that was made.

King Phenomenon

1 Corinthians 8:6 yet for us there is one God, the Father, from whom are all things and for whom we exist, and one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom are all things and through whom we exist.​

And in John:

John 1:2 He was in the beginning with God; 3 all things were made through him, and without him was not anything made that was made.
So I guess my original post isn’t that far fetched

Altfish

Veteran Member
What does it mean to u?

no mommy involved

That’s another story
It was the start of many religions fear and shame of people having sex.

exchemist

Veteran Member
It was the start of many religions fear and shame of people having sex.
False. The Immaculate Conception has nothing to do with sex. The notion that it does is a common misconception (haha;)).

It is the (rather arcane and unnecessary-seeming) doctrine that Mary had to be, uniquely, conceived without inheriting original sin, in order to be, later on, a suitable vessel for the growth in her womb of the embryonic Jesus.

pearl

It is the (rather arcane and unnecessary-seeming) doctrine that Mary had to be, uniquely, conceived without inheriting original sin, in order to be, later on, a suitable vessel for the growth in her womb of the embryonic Jesus.

True, Mary was conceived in the normal sexual act, like most of us.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
What does it mean to u?

no mommy involved

That’s another story
It's just a mythology of an ancient demigod.

Altfish

Veteran Member
False. The Immaculate Conception has nothing to do with sex. The notion that it does is a common misconception (haha;)).

So ... what does "Uniquely conceived" mean. Surely it can't be normal sexual intercourse.
Good to know she was a 'suitable vessel' rather than a woman with a uterus.

exchemist

Veteran Member
So ... what does "Uniquely conceived" mean. Surely it can't be normal sexual intercourse.
Good to know she was a 'suitable vessel' rather than a woman with a uterus.
Yes it was, as post 15 confirms.

Read the link in post 2 if you want the full-on, nerd-out, Ultra-Catholic explanation. It's all to do with the "infusion of the soul", not the mechanics of copulation, which are neither here nor there.

I agree St. Paul has a lot to answer for in the attitude of the church to sex down the centuries, but neither original sin nor the immaculate conception have anything to do with sex.