• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

IMF Proposes Additional Gasoline Tax

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I don't want to pay it to the IMF, but I favor a higher gas tax. It's a good
free market approach to encouraging fuel conservation & cleaning up the air.

tytlyf

Not Religious
I have no problem with additional taxes. The IMF is an organization we need to be a part of.

The International Monetary Fund (IMF) is an international organization that was initiated in 1944 at the Bretton Woods Conference and formally created in 1945 by 29 member countries. The IMF's stated goal was to stabilize exchange rates and assist the reconstruction of the world’s international payment system post-World War II. Countries contribute money to a pool through a quota system from which countries with payment imbalances can borrow funds temporarily. Through this activity and others such as surveillance of its members' economies and policies, the IMF works to improve the economies of its member countries.[1] The IMF describes itself as “an organization of 188 countries, working to foster global monetary cooperation, secure financial stability, facilitate international trade, promote high employment and sustainable economic growth, and reduce poverty around the world.”[2] The organization's stated objectives are to promote international economic cooperation, international trade, employment, and exchange rate stability, including by making financial resources available to member countries to meet balance of payments needs.[3] Its headquarters are in Washington, D.C., United States.
International Monetary Fund - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Im not in favor. When ever has tax money gone to any body of goverment and exclusively is used for the stated purpose.

Till then. No more taxes.

F0uad

And the corporations give it back to the politicians. Back and forth forever.

Politicians don't give it to the people but the corporate interests also, why did they bail out the banks and corporations instead of the people? Americans are paying taxes to to private businesses that made the sh.... hole in the first place its funny.

F0uad

You're right, we don't need help from other countries and shouldn't help other countries resolve their disputes and conflicts.

Hmm let see.. the worst foreign policy of the world in the last 10 years.
Paying dictators and war-lords in Africa instead of the poor yeah doing a great job so far.

American's middle-class shrinking, high taxes, unemployment rising...
Yeah lets tax more and spend more, i mean why not we will just wait till China bails you guys out right?

Last edited:

alacks hovel

Secretary of Calendars
I have no problem with additional taxes. The IMF is an organization we need to be a part of. International Monetary Fund - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Seems like the IMF is a way to 'opening' developing countries up to neoliberal trade policies, aka. cheap labor and resources. It also requires a large overhaul to the country in question's financial structure in the face of a massive loan. No?

Then, when global economies crash, like in 2008, developing countries are hit the hardest, sometimes requiring them to refinance that loan. huge consequences.

Maybe not. I don't know **** about economics.

alacks hovel

Secretary of Calendars
You're right, we don't need help from other countries and shouldn't help other countries resolve their disputes and conflicts.

I feel like your argument couldn't be more reductive.

America wields are large amount of both soft and hard power; appearing to wane in light of BRICS, but deserving of no less scrutiny, if not MORE scrutiny. We need to start taking very seriously where we stand in the world's myriad regional disputes and express a great deal more of care in dispensing our moral whip (economic sanctions, no-fly zones, unmanned, extra-judicial assassinations)

To just withdraw completely from the global sphere is economic suicide. And it won't ever happen. It's like calls for the Southern states to secede. It's just a futile expression of a xenophobic, solipsistic political posture. It's not a position, it's a posture.