• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm pretty sure there's no god now

AndromedaRXJ

Normally, I just consider myself non-religious, and my stance on there being a god is the same as the likes of the Tooth Fairy, leprechauns, ghosts etc... There's a lack of evidence, therefore, I simply have a lack of belief. But now after watching this video, I'm thinking to myself "Nope! No way there can be a god. He's just not there!" because this is just effed up! My stance on god goes from simply being a lack of belief, to pretty much disbelief!

The video is raw footage of crocodiles attacking a zebra. Now we all know predators constantly kill prey in nature, and that in it of it self puts the notion of a benevolent god in question. But this video is so much worse than that! The crocodiles tear it's stomach out while it's still alive! And it walks around for a few moments while it's intestines are hanging out!

Now I already know gory kills like this happen in nature. But actually seeing it is a whole different thing! As much as I like watching nature videos and learning about the wild, I find this video unbearable! And even knowing in advance that the Universe and nature is harsh and very indifferent, I still can barely watch this!

Edit: When I'm mentioning god in this post, by that, I mean a benevolent, omnipotent and omniscient god.

WARNING! GRAPHIC VIDEO!

To the Abrahamic theists out there, in your heart of hearts! Why would a god allow stuff like this to happen?! Consider that harshness like this in the wild happens daily! It's a horrible way to die, and it happens daily!

Last edited:

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
Normally, I just consider myself non-religious, and my stance on there being a god is the same as the likes of the Tooth Fairy, leprechauns, ghosts etc... There's a lack of evidence, therefore, I simply have a lack of belief. But now after watching this video, I'm thinking to myself "Nope! No way there can be a god. He's just not there!" because this is just effed up! My stance on god goes from simply being a lack of belief, to pretty much disbelief!

The video is raw footage of crocodiles attacking a zebra. Now we all know predators constantly kill prey in nature, and that in it of it self puts the notion of a benevolent god in question. But this video is so much worse than that! The crocodiles tear it's stomach out while it's still alive! And it walks around for a few moments while it's intestines are hanging out!

Now I already know gory kills like this happen in nature. But actually seeing it is a whole different thing! As much as I like watching nature videos and learning about the wild, I find this video unbearable! And even knowing in advance that the Universe and nature is harsh and very indifferent, I still can barely watch this!

WARNING! GRAPHIC VIDEO!
To the Abrahamic theists out there, in your heart of hearts! Why would a god allow stuff like this to happen?! Consider that harshness like this in the wild happens daily! It's a horrible way to die, and it happens daily!

You've got a downright quaint notion of "terrible". A Zebra died like a gory pinanata...and? That's your litmus test for a deity?

AndromedaRXJ

You've got a downright quaint notion of "terrible". A Zebra died like a gory pinanata...and? That's your litmus test for a deity?

A benevolent omnipotent deity, yes. And not just this zebra dying this way, but this being a regular thing in the wild.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

WARNING! GRAPHIC VIDEO!

I never found the horrors (which would be part of the god's design) of the natural world to be evidence for the non-existence of gods.
Strife could very well be necessary for whatever bigger plans a supreme being would have.

AndromedaRXJ

Not that I'm a theist, but emotional appeals are hardly reasonable arguments for any position, be it theistic or non-theistic.

True. I was thinking that too as I was making this thread. But I think the question I asked is still valid. Why a benevolent deity allows this to be a regular thing.

AndromedaRXJ

I never found the horrors (which would be part of the god's design) of the natural world to be evidence for the non-existence of gods.
Strife could very well be necessary for whatever bigger plans a supreme being would have.

Would you consider it evidence for the non-existence of a benevolent, omnipotent god?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Would you consider it evidence for the non-existence of a benevolent, omnipotent god?
No.
If there really were a god, there would be supernatural considerations of which we'd be unaware.
Perhaps suffering in this world is part of some larger benevolent plan, eh?

AndromedaRXJ

No.
If there really were a god, there would be supernatural considerations of which we'd be unaware.
Perhaps suffering in this world is part of some larger benevolent plan, eh?

I don't see why that would be necessary if he's utterly omnipotent. Such a plan wouldn't be done because he has to, but rather, because he wants to.

Jumi

Would you consider the existence of an evil(from your perspective) group of gods?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

Yes, although there are other more fundamental examples along these lines. This could be into the 'stuff happens' bucket to some degree, and can be tied into considerations of free will I guess, but there are creatures which HAVE to be 'cruel' as part of their feeding process. I do consider that 'design' issue some evidence against an omnipresent, omnipotent, omnibenevolent God. It does depend very greatly on how one defines God though.

(eg. Emerald Cockroach Wasp)

AndromedaRXJ

I mean that a god could have a vision & goals which we simply cannot observe.
It would live on a plane of existence infinitely more expansive than ours.

But is he doing it because he has to or because he wants to? Or both? It can't be neither (unless he doesn't exist), and it's got to be at least one of them.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
But is he doing it because he has to or because he wants to? Or both? It can't be neither (unless he doesn't exist), and it's got to be at least one of them.
Being supreme, I'd say it's cuz he wants to.
But I can't be at all sure of that.

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
I understand what you're saying, I had a similar experience in elementary school. I just couldn't get over how that polar bear preyed on those baby seals. Nowadays I just think to myself, that's how nature runs.
As gruesome as it is, you have to keep in mind that the crocodile only is doing this to survive.
Why would a god allow stuff like this to happen?!
Either he is powerless to stop it or he's not there, at least he isn't there theistically.
It's a horrible way to die, and it happens daily!
I think about all the people in these third world countries who starve to death. And they die also because those in power are corrupt.