• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Im not so afraid to be dead

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Death doesn't scare me.
Also because there are so many painkillers nowadays...so I am not afraid of pain either.

Getting old terrifies me...really.
Sometimes I hope that I get cancer and I die before getting too old.
I am not the only one...many women are afraid of that.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I'm not afraid of death, in fact, I've made arrangements for euthanasia should i get to the point of not being able to do the basics, being a burden.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I'm guessing being dead will be pretty much the same as not yet being alive...I don't recall anything bad about that. I am inclined to avoid it though, for as long as I can.
Yes, there's breathing exercises that you can do.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I suspect lack of consciousness is the first thing that will occur when any pain becomes too much, and hence we will hardly know when death happens. And I have been unconscious for many different reasons already. No point in fearing the inevitable.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Yes, I'm afraid of the process of dying, too. In that I don't want to suffer. I think everyone, even those who are executed for horrific crimes, deserves a quick death. Even if I die young from illness or a heart attack, am murdered or in an accident, I just want to go quickly. But the notion of being dead doesn't scare me. Those are two separate things. I don't care for living into my 100s but I don't want to go yet as there's still things I feel I need to do. After that, that's fine.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
There's no graceful way to die, but I am not afraid of it.

I hope to meet my forebears.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Getting old terrifies me...really.
Given that I'm 78, "old" to me means physical or mental disability, not age.

As far as death goes, my father-in-law was staying with us with hospice support. He spoke of extreme fear of death but at the end his last words were "I'm ready now". A friend who was in her 80's could not do what she loved, playing music for kids in a hospital and decided she had enough of life and basically decided to die and did so. The atmosphere around her was one of joy the day she died.

Add those experiences with my belief in reincarnation and I'm not afraid to die but I'm also far from ready to do so.

Ella S.

*temp banned*
Death will be nice. I've read many accounts of people who have experienced it and they uniformly describe it as a warm silence that's quieter and more peaceful than any sleep they've ever had. To be honest, I kind of look forward to finally being able to rest.

The pain used to scare me a lot more, but I've been through a lot of intensely painful experiences. Some of them are very likely to have been worse than whatever will wind up killing me. If I'm killed in something like a car accident or a natural disaster, I'll probably dissociate so heavily that I won't be able to process the pain at all up to the point that I actually die. I might even faint from the pain before it overtakes me.

Even if I do experience the pain in its fullest, and it's drawn out, it will end eventually. It won't be a pleasant experience, and that's putting it mildly, but I take some solace in the fact that it won't be forever. I would much rather die painlessly, but that's a subjective preference and I know that fate doesn't always respect those.

I'm more concerned that I'm going to live to be over 90 years old and deeply regret all of my choices in life. I don't want to spend the last years of my life on earth mourning and hating myself, powerless to use the wisdom that I've gained from life to fix it. That scares me more than death ever will.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I'm not afraid of death, in fact, I've made arrangements for euthanasia should i get to the point of not being able to do the basics, being a burden.

I'm going to expand a little.
4 years ago after undergoing what turned into a major stomach op one of the surgeons confided in me "don't worry you still have 5 lives left". It seems that I'd died 4 times while on the operating table.
When I've used up the remaining 5 lives that's the way i would
Iike to die, totally out of it with powerful anesthesics.