• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm either crazy or decieved or...

Student of X

Paradigm Shifter
...or I am a very special person. I haven't figured out which. Maybe I'm too scared to.

I doubt I'm crazy, because many of my supernatural experiences have been objectively verifiable and shared with other people.

So maybe I'm being deceived by a supernatural trickster(s). I've read The Trickster and the Paranormal...great book. The archetype of the trickster is part of the paranormal. It can't be avoided. But that doesn't mean that it's all just 'mind tricks'. That's much to simple and glib an explanation. I can see why it's a tempting one, though.

I'm an expert in comparative mythology, comparative religion, comparative mysticism, parapsychology. I'm no stranger to the archetypes of world religion and myth...including the trickster archetype. Of course the trickster isn't the only archetype I'm acquainted with. As a mystic who has achieved profound altered states of consciousness, all the archetypes of the collective unconscious have been activated in my psyche. For many years they have been active. I've had a great many profound encounters with them, both objective and subjective.

So if I'm not "crazy" and I'm not completely under the power of the trickster archetype then I am 'a son of God', mystically speaking. A 'buddha' or something like that.

Last edited:

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
Why not just a human who has great amount of knowledge and experiences, but instead the son of God?

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
...or I am a very special person. I haven't figured out which. Maybe I'm too scared to.

I doubt I'm crazy, because many of my supernatural experiences have been objectively verifiable and shared with other people.

So maybe I'm being deceived by a supernatural trickster(s). I've read The Trickster and the Paranormal...great book. The archetype of the trickster is part of the paranormal. It can't be avoided. But that doesn't mean that it's all just 'mind tricks'. That's much to simple and glib an explanation. I can see why it's a tempting one, though.

I'm an expert in comparative mythology, comparative religion, comparative mysticism, parapsychology. I'm no stranger to the archetypes of world religion and myth...including the trickster archetype. Of course the trickster isn't the only archetype I'm acquainted with. As a mystic who has achieved profound altered states of consciousness, all the archetypes of the collective unconscious have been activated in my psyche. For many years they have been active. I've had a great many profound encounters with them, both objective and subjective.

So if I'm not "crazy" and I'm not completely under the power of the trickster archetype then I am 'a son of God', mystically speaking. A 'buddha' or something like that.
Fourth option: you are experiencing a common psychological phenomenon, which is why it is shared with other humans.

Student of X

Paradigm Shifter
Why not just a human who has great amount of knowledge and experiences, but instead the son of God?

I didn't say 'the', I said 'a'. There have been, are, and will be many sons of God. They are fully human and yet fully Divine.

Last edited:

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you

Your question seems loaded to me. We must choose between lunacy, thralldom, or complete enlightenment. I am not one to insult people when I first meet them, and so calling you a lunatic or a thrall right off the bat is not likely to happen. So, now I'm left with supposing you are some kind of special someone?

Then, you go on to explain how your expertise in a variety of related areas make you well qualified to answer the question for yourself. This seems to me like an attempt to preemptively discredit any posters who aren't similarly eclectic in their expertise. In other words, "If you aren't the supreme executive in charge of determining reality than you need not post (unless you agree that I'm super-special and awesome)."

So, I have seen nothing in your post to confirm or deny that you belong to any of the three categories you've presented.
I can, however, say with all confidence that you most definitely believe it is the super-special enlightened option.
I also doubt that anything anyone says in this thread will change that perception you have of yourself.

Student of X

Paradigm Shifter
Your question seems loaded to me. We must choose between lunacy, thralldom, or complete enlightenment. I am not one to insult people when I first meet them, and so calling you a lunatic or a thrall right off the bat is not likely to happen. So, now I'm left with supposing you are some kind of special someone?

Then, you go on to explain how your expertise in a variety of related areas make you well qualified to answer the question for yourself. This seems to me like an attempt to preemptively discredit any posters who aren't similarly eclectic in their expertise. In other words, "If you aren't the supreme executive in charge of determining reality than you need not post (unless you agree that I'm super-special and awesome)."

So, I have seen nothing in your post to confirm or deny that you belong to any of the three categories you've presented.
I can, however, say with all confidence that you most definitely believe it is the super-special enlightened option.
I also doubt that anything anyone says in this thread will change that perception you have of yourself.

Thanks for reminding me why I'm on my own. I need reminding every once in a while.

My desire to talk about this with a community that might just have someone special enough to help, or even just sympathize, has been quenched.

Last edited:

Alceste

Vagabond
Thanks for reminding me why I'm on my own. I need reminding every once in a while.

My desire to talk about this with a community that might just have someone special enough to help, or even just sympathize, has been quenched.

Why do you need to think of yourself as special? I've had loads of inexplicable and awe-inspiring experiences too. It's not unusual. Maybe you're a normal person with a normal human brain.

I suspect that one of the factors that distinguishes enlightenment from mental illness is humility. They are otherwise quite similar states in many ways. My partner, the soon of a psychoanalyst, once said, "if everything around you starts to look as though it had personal significance, as though it were some kind of sign intended for you in particular, watch out! " My unmedicated psychotic friend reports feeling this way often.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm confused. If something can be objectively verified, then it can't be supernatural. The supernatural by definition lies completely outside the scope of nature itself. Things completely outside the scope of nature cannot be objectively verified or empirically measured. Intersubjectively verified, maybe, but if it could be objectively verified, it would just be science, wouldn't it? :confused:

At any rate, it's a minor point. You experience what you experience.

Last edited:

Student of X

Paradigm Shifter
Why do you need to think of yourself as special?

Why do you need to think it's a need? Maybe it's about trying to avoid denial either way. Maybe it's about balance.

Thanks for your post but I am already tired of talking about this with this community. I thought I made that clear in my last post. Why do you need to keep posting?

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you

Always happy to help. I hope you find your path strengthened.

You flatter me too much. I am no more special than the slugs in my garden (although I can beat them up, which is handy if things ever come to blows). I do have quite a lot of sympathy for you, however, and I am glad it was able to satisfy your thirst for the same.

May all of your endeavors achieve their appropriate ends.

Alceste

Vagabond
Why do you need to think it's a need? Maybe it's about trying to avoid denial either way. Maybe it's about balance.

Thanks for your post but I am already tired of talking about this with this community. I thought I made that clear in my last post. Why do you need to keep posting?

That was my first post in this thread. Claiming to be a Buddha or a Messiah doesn't strike me as "balance". I thought you were asking if you might be mentally ill so I answered your question. Sorry you don't like my answer. I guess I was supposed to agree that you're a Buddha?

dust1n

Zindīq

So, you should be able to share your supernatural experiences with us so that we may objectively verify them? Why not do so?

Shuddhasattva

Hey, I'll post a thread in the vague and vain hope that someone will come along and help me stroke my ego, because sometimes two hands on the keyboard just aren't enough.

Orias

Left Hand Path

The thing about crazy people is that most of them know they are, and if they have no idea then I'd assume there something other than crazy.

Insanity is a far different thing, I for one would not favor losing control of my frontal lobe, its what allows me to think crazy thoughts! :D