• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm curious about something and have some questions.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
as I was several times when that TV turned on for no reason that could be explained by a malfunction in the electronics or cable box, but those have been the only paranormal experiences that I have had. Lately I have wished it would happen again but it hasn't.

Have you asked your late husband to turn the television back on again or to give you another sign of his presence that you would recognize?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Have you asked your late husband to turn the television back on again or to give you another sign of his presence that you would recognize?
How would I do that? Unless he is earthbound he would not hear me and if he was earthbound he probably would have turned the TV back on again. The TV has not gone on since January 4, so he has probably moved on. I have to get this communication going though because I cannot go on living like this. I am completely stuck and I have no closure. This was not a natural death and it happened under suspicious circumstances. I cannot go on living unless I find out why this happened. I will find out something through the investigation of the HMO and possibly a lawsuit, but that won't tell me why he was suicidal. Only he knows that.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
From my perspective, I've seemingly never had any experiences that I could put down to anything spiritual - seeing no ghosts or hearing any voices that I couldn't attribute to my own mind's processes. I tend to believe that I have inevitably to go with what science shows us in relation to this subject and what it hasn't, and hence I am of the default belief as to - show us the evidence. And it appears that many have tried but not succeeded as to this. I am sceptical as to any technology capturing anything that might reflect on and inform as to this particular subject too - given the technology might be measuring something else rather than what is claimed.

Over the years I have read some of the material as to claims but I've always tended to leave them as 'not proven', given we know there are many fraudulent people in the field or those just mistaken as to what they experience, and I would have thought by now that we would have rather more convincing evidence as to these phenomena being as depicted. Hence my approach is much the same as to other areas of parapsychology and the paranormal in general - until enough evidence to convince is provided - that is, not proven.

Perhaps spirits just avoid interacting with those more sceptical. :oops:

But I do try to be consistent, hence I have the same doubts as to UFO sightings and abductions.

Last edited:

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
How would I do that? Unless he is earthbound he would not hear me and if he was earthbound he probably would have turned the TV back on again. The TV has not gone on since January 4, so he has probably moved on. I have to get this communication going though because I cannot go on living like this. I am completely stuck and I have no closure. This was not a natural death and it happened under suspicious circumstances. I cannot go on living unless I find out why this happened. I will find out something through the investigation of the HMO and possibly a lawsuit, but that won't tell me why he was suicidal. Only he knows that.

To be honest, I believe that your best chance of communicating with your late husband (if he is still earthbound) is through a genuine psychic medium. You could try speaking to him verbally, but keep in mind that spirits require a lot of energy to communicate with the living, so he may need to build up some energy before he can respond. You can also buy an inexpensive spirit box off of Amazon, which would allow you and your late husband to communicate with each other. Finally, if you have any questions, you can ask me in a private message. Once again, I'd like to say that I wish I could help you in person.

JDMS

Academic Workhorse
I've never done paranormal investigations in real life, but I'm familiar with the techniques and equipment as they've been adapted into a video game called "Phasmophobia". I play with two friends from Europe every weekend and have a lot of fun.

I don't necessarily believe in ghosts, but I would definitely have fun ghost hunting with them!

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
To be honest, I believe that your best chance of communicating with your late husband (if he is still earthbound) is through a genuine psychic medium. You could try speaking to him verbally, but keep in mind that spirits require a lot of energy to communicate with the living, so he may need to build up some energy before he can respond. You can also buy an inexpensive spirit box off of Amazon, which would allow you and your late husband to communicate with each other. Finally, if you have any questions, you can ask me in a private message. Once again, I'd like to say that I wish I could help you in person.
I don't really know, but I suspect he is no longer earthbound even if he once was, since I have received no signs since early January. If I thought he was around I would try to communicate with him by speaking to him verbally or doing the other things you suggested.

If he is not earthbound I will have to try getting through to him in the spiritual world through the psychic medium who was recommended to me.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
I had a friend once, a hardcore materialist. Any mention of religion, the supernatural etc would infuriate him. I once asked "what if he saw the ghost of a friend of ours" who had died a few years ago? He said that it was evidence of being "mentally ill."
Some people are very difficult to persuade when their belief system is, or so it seems, as much a 'faith' as that which they hate.

I've met such skeptics before, but after I gave them a reading, they admitted that there was no way I could have known the private information I told them, and they began to believe in the paranormal and psychic mediumship. I've met other skeptics who told me, after a paranormal investigation, that they saw something and heard direct answers to questions on the ghost box that they couldn't debunk or rationally explain. It's these kinds of first-hand experiences that can make a skeptic very curious and could eventually convince them to change their mind about the paranormal and begin to believe that it's real.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I've met such skeptics before, but after I gave them a reading, they admitted that there was no way I could have known the private information I told them, and they began to believe in the paranormal and psychic mediumship. I've met other skeptics who told me, after a paranormal investigation, that they saw something and heard direct answers to questions on the ghost box that they couldn't debunk or rationally explain. It's these kinds of first-hand experiences that can make a skeptic very curious and could eventually convince them to change their mind about the paranormal and start to believe it's real.
You need to try it on someone that understands cold reading. They might be able to show why what you are doing is not what you think that it is.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
I don't really know, but I suspect he is no longer earthbound even if he once was, since I have received no signs since early January. If I thought he was around I would try to communicate with him by speaking to him verbally or doing the other things you suggested.

If he is not earthbound I will have to try getting through to him in the spiritual world through the psychic medium who was recommended to me.

As I previously stated, I believe that communicating with your late husband is best accomplished through a genuine psychic medium. If you remember, I suggested that you not reveal any personal information about him, including details about his life or personal character, the circumstances surrounding his death, or even his name. And if the opportunity presents itself, I recommend that you prepare specific questions to ask your husband, but not so specific that the medium will catch on. If the medium is genuine, he or she will not require prior knowledge of a spirit or their physical life. As I've stated before, there aren't many people that I know in person who are aware of my mediumship, but there are other paranormal investigators I know and trust who are.

If one of the paranormal investigators I know asks me to use my abilities at a haunted location, I'll remind them that I don't want to know anything about their personal experiences there. If the location is a house, a building, another type of structure, or a public business, I don't want to know anything about the current or previous owners or the property's history. If I'm given a personal object to hold so that I can possibly connect with a spirit, I will make it clear that I don't want to know anything about the person who owned that object before they passed away. And if I'm being driven to a specific location, then I don't want to know where I'm being taken. I actually prefer that no one speaks to me while we're traveling so that I can focus on any possible messages from spirits. It's important to me that I have a clear mind before doing a reading for another person or when I'm investigating a well-known or suspected haunted location. I want to make sure that my reading or what I'm sensing at a haunted location is accurate and that nothing has influenced me. I can't speak for other mediums, but that's what I do when I'm asked to give a reading or when I'm asked to use my abilities during a paranormal investigation.

Finally, I've already shared some of my experiences in other threads, so I won't repeat them here. I'll just post the links to them as a reference.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Such as? Please give me some examples.

Sure, when you do not properly use the scientific method you only have an ad hoc argument. You do not have evidence. Ideally you would think of a test that would refute your idea if you were wrong before you went out hunting for ghosts. To have scientific evidence one first needs a testable, which means possibly refutable idea.
Such as? Please give me some examples.

There are "magicians" that do cold reading as part of their show. It is a psychological tool that many of them understand how to use to make it seem as if they know deep secrets. Many people use it subconsciously. A person that understands it could show you where you were using it.

The problem is that people who want to believe could be leading the people that they are interviewing without even knowing it themselves. That is why it can be key to have skeptics involved. If your ideas still work it gives them more credibility. If you are wrong then you may find out how you are wasting your time and you could possibly try another more reliable technique.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
Sure, when you do not properly use the scientific method you only have an ad hoc argument. You do not have evidence. Ideally you would think of a test that would refute your idea if you were wrong before you went out hunting for ghosts. To have scientific evidence one first needs a testable, which means possibly refutable idea.

There are "magicians" that do cold reading as part of their show. It is a psychological tool that many of them understand how to use to make it seem as if they know deep secrets. Many people use it subconsciously. A person that understands it could show you where you were using it.

The problem is that people who want to believe could be leading the people that they are interviewing without even knowing it themselves. That is why it can be key to have skeptics involved. If your ideas still work it gives them more credibility. If you are wrong then you may find out how you are wasting your time and you could possibly try another more reliable technique.

Thank you for sharing your input, Subduction Zone. I appreciate it.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
I've never done paranormal investigations in real life, but I'm familiar with the techniques and equipment as they've been adapted into a video game called "Phasmophobia". I play with two friends from Europe every weekend and have a lot of fun.

I don't necessarily believe in ghosts, but I would definitely have fun ghost hunting with them!

I understand that some people think "hunting" ghosts is fun, but it can be dangerous if you don't know what you're doing and are fooling around rather than being on the lookout for potential danger at a location. I was with a group of paranormal investigators once at an abandoned psychiatric hospital, and two of the newer, inexperienced investigators were joking around and being loud on the second floor when one of them fell through the floor and had to be taken to the hospital. He wasn't paying attention and stepped into a hole in the floor. Paranormal Investigation 101: Before conducting an investigation at night in the dark, always go to a location and do a thorough walk-through of any building and of the property during the day. If you do this, you will become familiar with the interiors of the buildings as well as the property's landscape, which lessens the probability that you'll walk into something in the buildings or walk into a tree somewhere on the property. You may not realize it, but most paranormal investigations are conducted in complete darkness, using only the light of a small video camera screen or, occasionally, flashlights to see where you're going. It's still very dark, and you need to be cautious and aware of your surroundings. As previously stated, conducting a paranormal investigation can be dangerous, and people can be injured if they don't know what they're doing or are joking around. I don't let anyone who's joking around and acting up participate in my investigations.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Finally, if you're one of the people on this forum who believes in the paranormal (i.e., earthbound human spirits, nonhuman entities, and anything else paranormal), but you haven’t investigated the paranormal, then why do you believe?
That's pretty much describes me. I believe because being as fair and objective as I can possibly be it seems beyond reasonable doubt that things happen that do not fit into the materialist paradigm of reality. The quantity, quality and consistency of the evidence has me overwhelmed that something dramatic is behind the scenes and not yet understood by science.

I am actually a former materialist and understand the so-called skeptic/materialist perspective. I can understand how they can challenge every piece of experience forever. Random phenomena can be challenged forever. Even controlled experiments can be challenged forever.

I guess in the end we believers should not be overly concerned with the determined non-believers. We can coexist just fine in the public arena. But I do enjoy a good debate myself and that can quickly get personal and emotional.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I haven't seen any theory as to how a spirit could be visible to a camera or audible to a recorder, or cause objects to move, or affect ambient temperatures, or generate sounds, yet be regarded as immaterial.
In science cannot 'Observation (of phenomena) precede its Understanding'? Seems that still happens all the time. And to add, some suggest that the paranormal is not immaterial but subtle material in dimensions beyond our three-dimensional physical senses and instruments. Even science tells us that the vast majority of the matter in the universe is not directly detectable by the physical senses and instruments (so-called Dark Matter).

I remain open to evidence, but extraordinary claims require remarkably good demonstration. I've seen none. Can you point me to any?

Now we are getting to the crux of this thread.

Inexact wording like 'remarkably good' make the answer to your question a subjective opinion. Our OP has provided some links that can be no more than grains of sand on the beach. My opinion is that after the fairest consideration of the quantity. quality and consistency of evidence suggesting the paranormal that the case for the paranormal is not only 'remarkably good' but 'beyond reasonable doubt'. This much evidence strongly suggesting the paranormal being all in error seems to approach impossible IMO.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Thank you for sharing your input, Subduction Zone. I appreciate it.
If there is something to your claims it would be nice to know. Proper methodology could show that. But it could also expose that your claims are not true. Just a warning to you. If you want others to accept your work using proper methodology is the best way to get people to do that.