• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'm curious about something and have some questions.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Some ghost-hunting equipment seems better than others. If you capture a voice or a humanoid shape on a recording device that's good for analysis. But a hard-Skeptic can always present a challenge to things you claim are clearly documented.
Having recorded evidence is always better than not, though it's important to remember that visual and auditory pareidolia is a thing. Our brains will try to make patterns out of vague or confusing stimuli to make us see and hear things that aren't actually there.

And it seems to me that the ghost-hunting community never seems to tackle the question of "are the anomalies we're seeing here more or different than what we would expect to see in a place that isn't haunted?" Without that, it's hard to have a real basis to conclude a paranormal explanation for anything.

The question for me becomes at what point do the hard-skeptics stop seeming reasonable.
From my perspective, the best evidence from paranormal investigations - or at least the best that I've ever seen - falls well short of that point.

Skeptics will not be impressed by things like SLS cameras where a machine creates the figure itself.
That was the thing that really convinced me that the ghost-hunting community just isn't approaching their investigations in good faith... especially the way that Microsoft Kinetic cameras are often used as "SLS" detection devices.

I mean, why would someone insist on using a 10-ish-year-old camera from a video game to investigate... well... anything? It's low res compared to even a modern phone camera and it's going to have noisier low-light performance than a modern DSLR. There's nothing about it that an intellectually honest researcher would see appealing enough to seek it out as a real research tool.

What it does have going for it are things that would lend itself to getting as many false hits as possible: the low res and noisy-by-modern-standards chip would help to generate false anomalies and artifacts, and the camera's "try to map a human form onto absolutely anything that looks kinda close to human proportions" algorithm designed for video games is especially attuned to "find" human-like shapes when they aren't there.

IOW, the only reason to have something like that on an investigation is to generate false positives to try to pass off as real, IMO.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Having recorded evidence is always better than not, though it's important to remember that visual and auditory pareidolia is a thing. Our brains will try to make patterns out of vague or confusing stimuli to make us see and hear things that aren't actually there.

And it seems to me that the ghost-hunting community never seems to tackle the question of "are the anomalies we're seeing here more or different than what we would expect to see in a place that isn't haunted?" Without that, it's hard to have a real basis to conclude a paranormal explanation for anything.
Well I a start my reasoning with the question; do anomalous events actually occur that could suggest what some colloquially call the 'paranormal'? In that analysis we consider the possibility of things like pareidolia among many other things. My conclusion is 'yes, beyond reasonable doubt'. Our differences probably start right from that answer.

Now I do also believe there are haunted locations where there is a much greater prevalence of anomalous events than random locations. I don't know of any controlled study that compares them with random locations.

That was the thing that really convinced me that the ghost-hunting community just isn't approaching their investigations in good faith... especially the way that Microsoft Kinetic cameras are often used as "SLS" detection devices.

I mean, why would someone insist on using a 10-ish-year-old camera from a video game to investigate... well... anything? It's low res compared to even a modern phone camera and it's going to have noisier low-light performance than a modern DSLR. There's nothing about it that an intellectually honest researcher would see appealing enough to seek it out as a real research tool.

What it does have going for it are things that would lend itself to getting as many false hits as possible: the low res and noisy-by-modern-standards chip would help to generate false anomalies and artifacts, and the camera's "try to map a human form onto absolutely anything that looks kinda close to human proportions" algorithm designed for video games is especially attuned to "find" human-like shapes when they aren't there.

IOW, the only reason to have something like that on an investigation is to generate false positives to try to pass off as real, IMO.
I am not a technical person, but I am sure there have been technical people involved in the development of the SLS. I do lean to believing they are indeed sometimes picking up the paranormal. I remember watching a paranormal TV show imaging an alleged haunted stage in a theatre and there were four characters in the SLS moving like a band playing instruments. Now if the SLS was bunk I wouldn't expect things with situational meaning to occur. And they seem to respond to spoken requests. Here it is for what little it's probably worth to the hard-skeptics.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
Some ghost-hunting equipment seems better than others. If you capture a voice or a humanoid shape on a recording device that's good for analysis. But a hard-Skeptic can always present a challenge to things you claim are clearly documented. The question for me becomes at what point do the hard-skeptics stop seeming reasonable.

Skeptics will not be impressed by things like SLS cameras where a machine creates the figure itself.

I know some skeptics who were impressed with the images they saw when I pointed my SLS camera at the center of a lake or at the center of an open field while standing on the beach, where nothing else could obscure the image or images on the camera. Several friends of mine and I, including some skeptics, used my SLS camera to watch a spirit walking on the water in the middle of a lake. The spirit was visible to me, whereas my friends viewed her through the camera's screen and watched her walk on top of the water. There was nothing else on the water's surface that would have caused the camera to form a human image, much less one that was clearly walking. Other skeptics were impressed by my SLS camera as they observed a spirit standing in the middle of a field or yard, or in the middle of a floor in a building or house where nothing else could obscure the image on the camera (such as the outline of a person in a picture). That being said, I have a relatively new piece of ghost-hunting equipment that I like to use more often during my investigations, and it's a GS2 Laser Grid System (exactly like this one). It definitely attracts the attention of skeptics and intrigues them, especially when it detects a spirit or spirits. My BooBuddy Ghost Hunting Interactive Talking Bear (see here) has also become a favorite during my investigations. It's interesting to watch skeptics try to debunk its movements when it goes off while placed in the middle of the floor with nothing or no one nearby to make it turn on and speak.

I am not a technical person, but I am sure there have been technical people involved in the development of the SLS. I do lean to believing they are indeed sometimes picking up the paranormal. I remember watching a paranormal TV show imaging an alleged haunted stage in a theatre and there were four characters in the SLS moving like a band playing instruments. Now if the SLS was bunk I wouldn't expect things with situational meaning to occur. And they seem to respond to spoken requests. Here it is for what little it's probably worth to the hard-skeptics.

I knew exactly what paranormal show you were talking about before I clicked on the link to see if I was right.

Psalm23

I think a haunting could happen but don't believe it would be from a human spirit. I don't believe in earth bound spirits. I haven't been on any haunted house investigations. I have a family member who has told me a variety of spiritual experiences she has had such as seeing someone and/or feeling something. This month I had surgery on the 10th and came back from the hospital on the 13th. One particular night I felt as if someone was there and it felt like someone wrapped me up on the left side. I sensed that two times. I looked around and didn't see anything. It was comforting.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I know some skeptics who were impressed with the images they saw when I pointed my SLS camera at the center of a lake or at the center of an open field while standing on the beach, where nothing else could obscure the image or images on the camera.
Why does the SLS know to put humanoid joints where they do. Is a humanoid figure in the software that way?
Several friends of mine and I, including some skeptics, used my SLS camera to watch a spirit walking on the water in the middle of a lake. The spirit was visible to me, whereas my friends viewed her through the camera's screen and watched her walk on top of the water. There was nothing else on the water's surface that would have caused the camera to form a human image, much less one that was clearly walking.
Now, what impresses me there as an open-minded skeptic myself, is the simultaneous occurrence of your psychic vision and the SLS both agreeing as independent collaboration. Unfortunately, others though cannot see your psychic vision for their own confirmation. But two independent sources saying the same thing does impress me.

I knew exactly what paranormal show you were talking about before I clicked on the link to see if I was right.
You must be psychic!

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
Why does the SLS know to put humanoid joints where they do. Is a humanoid figure in the software that way?

Rather than go into specific detail about the SLS camera, I thought I'd share these informative articles about the camera. I also wanted to share these SLS images of living people walking, sitting, and standing still to demonstrate how the camera maps out human forms. I'm not sure if they will help or not.

The SLS Camera and Ghost Hunting

SLS Camera for Ghost Hunting [Ultimate Guide]

SLS Camera for tracking ghosts and spirits in real time

84006_98f1d5878b72bece91baf98ccdecb79e_thumb.jpg
84008_2c486a2f5b73e5b1fe18ffc490c15ffa_thumb.jpg
84007_cce4f5583ebbefb1efce8b8248655be2_thumb.jpg

Now, what impresses me there as an open-minded skeptic myself, is the simultaneous occurrence of your psychic vision and the SLS both agreeing as independent collaboration. Unfortunately, others though cannot see your psychic vision for their own confirmation. But two independent sources saying the same thing does impress me.

This happens to me on every investigation when I use my SLS. A spirit or spirits are visible to me, but not to everyone else around me who does not have psychic mediumship abilities. That is one reason why I like to use it during my investigations so that others can see the spirits, but not as clearly as I can.

You must be psychic!

While I am a psychic medium, I've been a fan of this paranormal show since it first aired in October 2008, and even before that with the documentary that preceded it (July 2007). I was deeply inspired while watching the documentary to embrace my mediumship and begin investigating and researching the paranormal myself. It marked the beginning of my own journey into the exciting world of mediumship, as well as paranormal research and investigation.

Last edited:

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Rather than go into specific detail about the SLS camera, I thought I'd share these informative articles about the camera. I also wanted to share these SLS images of living people walking, sitting, and standing still to demonstrate how the camera maps out human forms. I'm not sure if they will help or not.

This happens to me on every investigation when I use my SLS. A spirit or spirits are visible to me, but not to everyone else around me who does not have psychic mediumship abilities. That is one reason why I like to use it during my investigations so that others can see the spirits, but not as clearly as I can.

While I am a psychic medium, I've been a fan of this paranormal show since it first aired in October 2008, and even before that with the documentary that preceded it (July 2007). As I watched the documentary, I was deeply inspired to embrace my mediumship and begin investigating and researching the paranormal myself. It was the beginning of my own journey into the world of paranormal research and investigation.
*INFORMATIVE*

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

Another useful article on the topic:

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
I hear lots of loud noises coming from the attic and I don't know exactly what they are, but I know they are 'living' creatures of some kind, maybe squirrels although they sound too big to be squirrels. :eek:

I frequently hear loud noises coming from my house's attic and other rooms, but there are no living animals making the noises. I know this to be true because my husband has double-checked just to be sure. I told him he was wasting his time because there is an upset spirit, or more than one, causing the ruckus. Doors opening and closing when no one is around, lights flickering on and off (even after being checked and rechecked by an electrician), water faucets turning on and off when no one is in the bathroom or kitchen, the television turning on and off even after being unplugged from the wall, and drawers opening and closing when no one is in the bathroom or kitchen are all common occurrences in my home. In addition, my 20-year-old daughter and I occasionally see spirits walking across a room, down the hall, through a wall or door, or moving objects. It doesn't bother either of us, and my husband and other children are used to unusual things happening in our home. Basically, we are all used to experiencing strange things in our house.

Psalm23

What do you think it could be from then?

I would consider a haunting from a evil spirit(s) and tend to associate haunting with negative and scary things going on in a house.

I believe in angelic activity. I see that as more of if God sends and angel to help , protect or comfort someone.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I frequently hear loud noises coming from my house's attic and other rooms, but there are no living animals making the noises. I know this to be true because my husband has double-checked just to be sure. I told him he was wasting his time because there is an upset spirit, or more than one, causing the ruckus.
In your case there is reason to believe it is not live animals, but in my case there is a reason to believe it is. I am sure not going up there to check. ;)

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I would consider a haunting from a evil spirit(s) and tend to associate haunting with negative and scary things going on in a house.
I believe it is an evil spirit, which is a human spirit who was evil, died, and came back to haunt the living.
I believe in angelic activity. I see that as more of if God sends and angel to help , protect or comfort someone.
I believe there are humans who are angels already living in the world, and they help, protect or comfort people.
I also believe there are angels, good spirits who have died and ascended to the spiritual world (heaven), and these spirits help, protect or comfort people in this world.

Question: "What are cherubim? Are cherubs angels?"

Answer:
Cherubim/cherubs are angelic beings involved in the worship and praise of God. The cherubim are first mentioned in the Bible in Genesis 3:24, “After He drove the man out, He placed on the east side of the Garden of Eden cherubim and a flaming sword flashing back and forth to guard the way to the tree of life.” Prior to his rebellion, Satan was a cherub (Ezekiel 28:12-15). The tabernacle and temple along with their articles contained many representations of cherubim (Exodus 25:17-22; 26:1, 31; 36:8; 1 Kings 6:23-35; 7:29-36; 8:6-7; 1 Chronicles 28:18; 2 Chronicles 3:7-14; 2 Chronicles 3:10-13; 5:7-8; Hebrews 9:5).

What are cherubim? Are cherubs angels? | GotQuestions.org

My religion has the same teaching as the Bible regarding angels

“And now, concerning His words: “And He shall send His angels….” By “angels” is meant those who, reinforced by the power of the spirit, have consumed, with the fire of the love of God, all human traits and limitations, and have clothed themselves with the attributes of the most exalted Beings and of the Cherubim..... And now, inasmuch as these holy beings have sanctified themselves from every human limitation, have become endowed with the attributes of the spiritual, and have been adorned with the noble traits of the blessed, they therefore have been designated as “angels.” Such is the meaning of these verses, every word of which hath been expounded by the aid of the most lucid texts, the most convincing arguments, and the best established evidences.”

Bahá’u’lláh, The Kitáb-i-Íqán, pp. 78-80

Psalm23

I believe it is an evil spirit, which is a human spirit who was evil, died, and came back to haunt the living.

I believe there are humans who are angels already living in the world, and they help, protect or comfort people.
I also believe there are angels, good spirits who have died and ascended to the spiritual world (heaven), and these spirits help, protect or comfort people in this world.

Question: "What are cherubim? Are cherubs angels?"

Answer:
Cherubim/cherubs are angelic beings involved in the worship and praise of God. The cherubim are first mentioned in the Bible in Genesis 3:24, “After He drove the man out, He placed on the east side of the Garden of Eden cherubim and a flaming sword flashing back and forth to guard the way to the tree of life.” Prior to his rebellion, Satan was a cherub (Ezekiel 28:12-15). The tabernacle and temple along with their articles contained many representations of cherubim (Exodus 25:17-22; 26:1, 31; 36:8; 1 Kings 6:23-35; 7:29-36; 8:6-7; 1 Chronicles 28:18; 2 Chronicles 3:7-14; 2 Chronicles 3:10-13; 5:7-8; Hebrews 9:5).

What are cherubim? Are cherubs angels? | GotQuestions.org

My religion has the same teaching as the Bible regarding angels

“And now, concerning His words: “And He shall send His angels….” By “angels” is meant those who, reinforced by the power of the spirit, have consumed, with the fire of the love of God, all human traits and limitations, and have clothed themselves with the attributes of the most exalted Beings and of the Cherubim..... And now, inasmuch as these holy beings have sanctified themselves from every human limitation, have become endowed with the attributes of the spiritual, and have been adorned with the noble traits of the blessed, they therefore have been designated as “angels.” Such is the meaning of these verses, every word of which hath been expounded by the aid of the most lucid texts, the most convincing arguments, and the best established evidences.”

Bahá’u’lláh, The Kitáb-i-Íqán, pp. 78-80

I believe there are people who have died and gone to heaven. Generally I don't think of people who have passed to be active in the world though I could be wrong about that . I think a person can be another person's angel in a way .

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.

Not all hauntings are caused by a malicious human spirit or entity. A haunting could also be residual rather than intelligent. Most of the hauntings I've investigated over the years were caused by a human spirit that was confused and in need of assistance or who disliked the current owners of their home.

I once saw two angelic beings walking through an open field and had the impression they didn't want me bothering them. On the other hand, I've met and communicated with angelic spirit guides who were very kindhearted and graciously assisted me in communicating with lost and confused human spirits.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I hear lots of loud noises coming from the attic and I don't know exactly what they are, but I know they are 'living' creatures of some kind, maybe squirrels although they sound too big to be squirrels. :eek:
That is less likely where I live but a wasp's nest falling down might be one reason for any noises since I do know they have resided there before, but it could still just be the movement of the house from subsidence and something giving way. The nearest wildlife I generally get is birds nesting in a bush outside my front door. :D

Last edited:

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
The nearest wildlife I get is all over my deck, day and night - raccoons, squirrels, and birds, and an occasional possum. I love possums.
I'm sure it is nice to see and feed such a variety, and of mostly friendly creatures.

Since my garden has become a wilderness, and trimmed down quite often, with a tree chopped down some years back, I stopped feeding the birds, so it is a bit quiet of late. Even before, apart from a variety of birds, one was lucky to see a squirrel, and probably more likely to see a rat. :eek:

So the UK can be a bit devoid of wildlife if one doesn't take the trouble to encourage any. But generally it is a lot safer than many countries. :D

All depends upon where one lives I suppose.