• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Illinois judge says 14th Amendment bars Trump from 2024 primary ballot

Clizby Wampuscat

I'm in no position to either accept or reject it.
I've no power.
I might agree or disagree with whatever ruling they make.
So it goes with other SCOTUS decisions.

Don't dwell on what it "sounds like".
To infer something not there leads to misunderstanding.
And you didn't even get the humor.
ok

esmith

Veteran Member
I perdict that it will be 9-0 decision that says no one state can dictate who can and can not run for the office of President.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I perdict that it will be 9-0 decision that says no one state can dictate who can and can not run for the office of President.
But as a republic, it makes some sense that
states be able to control who can run.
This is fraught with partisan peril, but so
is having no well defined authority to stop
insurrectionists from running for Prez.

esmith

Veteran Member
But as a republic, it makes some sense that
states be able to control who can run.
This is fraught with partisan peril, but so
is having no well defined authority to stop
insurrectionists from running for Prez.
To start with Trump has not been charged, let alone convicted, of insurrection.
If one or more states decided that Biden does not have the mental cognition to be the President what would stop them from removing his name from the ballot? That is the reason I think the SCOTUS will vote 9-0 against those states that want to remove Trump from the ballot.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The Constitution doesn't require that.
If one or more states decided that Biden does not have the mental cognition to be the President what would stop them from removing his name from the ballot? That is the reason I think the SCOTUS will vote 9-0 against those states that want to remove Trump from the ballot.
That would be a risk.
But it must be balanced against having no
effective authority to deal with insurrectionists,
which would effectively let them run for office.
Which is worse?
That would have to be observed over a couple
centuries of experimentation.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

That would be a risk.
Which is worse?
Hopefully Trumpism is a rare disease that will not recur, but having protection from it in another outbreak might be a very good idea.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Hopefully Trumpism is a rare disease that will not recur, but having protection from it in another outbreak might be a very good idea.
We'll see if SCOTUS delivers protection
from Magaism, or support for it.
With 6/9 justices being Catholic, I wonder
how the Pope will influence their decision?

esmith

Veteran Member

That would be a risk.
Which is worse?
Having a mentaly incompetent dufus as president which the majority of the American public thinks Biden is.
You say:
"But it must be balanced against having no effective authority to deal with insurrectionists,"
Opinion of biased children does not determine the charge of "insurrectionists"

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Having a mentaly incompetent dufus as president which the majority of the American public thinks Biden is.
You say:
"But it must be balanced against having no effective authority to deal with insurrectionists,"
You appear to be extremely confused. Of the two Biden is not the "dufus'.

Now if you still do not understand what an insurrection is that is your problem.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
The conservative majority on SCOTUS has already decided.
They'll just go thru the motions of hearing the case, then
construct a rationale to keep Trump in the race.
He won't be awarded absolute immunity, but he will get
qualified immunity. And everything he did will be judged
below that threshold of criminality.

How do I know this? I'm not prescient. But a Drudge
Report fell thru a wormhole from the future onto my
computer.
No, I don't think that will happen. That drudge report probably comes from another timeline, not from our own timeline; so lets get back to the future.

On the other hand I am wrong about something. I have been saying that the Supreme Court won't consider the question of Trump's presidential immunity, and I am wrong about it. I have made a bet with someone about it, but now I can't find the thread. I have to find that thread and fulfill my part of the bargain.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Looks like the other party has left the forum. I may not have to pay.
You might get lucky. Keep us informed. You would have been right if you said that the SC should not hear it. It is such a no-brainer. But unfortunately the corrupted SC has been voting for no brainers lately.

F1fan

Veteran Member
But Trump was observed supporting and leading an insurrection.

It's like 10 of us saw you driving stolen car and you are insisting it doesn't matter because you haven't been arrested or indicted for it. No, you were observed driving a stolen car, that is the fact.
If one or more states decided that Biden does not have the mental cognition to be the President what would stop them from removing his name from the ballot?
Let them bring expert testimony, not just claims by unprofessional hacks.

Do you know what we observe about Biden? That he is elderly, but lucid, clear, rational, and often telling jokes. I will take that over Trump's mental cesspool.
That is the reason I think the SCOTUS will vote 9-0 against those states that want to remove Trump from the ballot.
Legal analysts agree. It is a touchy issue that is part of the obsolete Electoral College election laws. There needs to be a uniform national standard and sets of election laws.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Trump is showing signs of mental decline too.
They're both losing it to some extent.
But my problems with them are their agendas.
You say:
Biased children?
I don't get the reference.
It's pretty clear that Trump attempted a coup.
Such treason should legally prevent him from
again holding office, by whatever appropriate
method.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
No, I don't think that will happen. That drudge report probably comes from another timeline, not from our own timeline; so lets get back to the future.

On the other hand I am wrong about something. I have been saying that the Supreme Court won't consider the question of Trump's presidential immunity, and I am wrong about it. I have made a bet with someone about it, but now I can't find the thread. I have to find that thread and fulfill my part of the bargain.
Just speculating how they'll rule.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Then the majority believes far right wing disinformation.

Of course you are asking us to trust your claim, which I don't. You watch MAGAmedia, and believe its disinformation, don't you?

esmith

Veteran Member
But Trump was observed supporting and leading an insurrection.

It's like 10 of us saw you driving stolen car and you are insisting it doesn't matter because you haven't been arrested or indicted for it. No, you were observed driving a stolen car, that is the fact.

Let them bring expert testimony, not just claims by unprofessional hacks.

Do you know what we observe about Biden? That he is elderly, but lucid, clear, rational, and often telling jokes. I will take that over Trump's mental cesspool.

Legal analysts agree. It is a touchy issue that is part of the obsolete Electoral College election laws. There needs to be a uniform national standard and sets of election laws.
Point 1- In your opinion
Point 2- The majority of the country can see that Biden is mentally unfit for the job, so it doesn't matter to you as long as it fits your political views
Point 3- Let them charge and convict Trump, not just claims by hacks.
Point 4 - Some people are just blinded by their bias and can't handle the truth. At least Trump doesn't see dead people.
Point 5 - The Electoral College has nothing to do with whether a state can remove a person from the ballot. Voting still shows the will of the people; even if the Electoral College was not used let the people decide not crazy power hungry political hacks.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Point 1- In your opinion
No, we all observed what Trump did. Evidence indicates he intended to overturn the valid election results that he lost.
Point 2- The majority of the country can see that Biden is mentally unfit for the job, so it doesn't matter to you as long as it fits your political views
MAGAmedia is spreading disinformation about this issue. If you look for yourself you will observe that Biden is lucid and cognitively stable, unlike Trump.
Point 3- Let them charge and convict Trump, not just claims by hacks.
The conservatives on the Supreme Court appear to be delaying the trial in DC. The federal judge in Florida appears to be slowing the trial for Trump. We the people want these trials concluded before the election.
Point 4 - Some people are just blinded by their bias and can't handle the truth.
That is your side of media and politics. MAGAmedia is nothing more than disinformation.
At least Trump doesn't see dead people.
That is the one good thing about Trump. If this is the best compliment you can dream up it's sad for Trump.
Point 5 - The Electoral College has nothing to do with whether a state can remove a person from the ballot.
No one said it did.

Voting still shows the will of the people; even if the Electoral College was not used let the people decide not crazy power hungry political hacks.
Try to understand the difference between the Electoral college and popular vote. Try to understand the criticisms of the EC system, and how it is vulnerable to fraud. At least pence stood in the way of Trump's fraud scheme from working.