• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Illinois judge says 14th Amendment bars Trump from 2024 primary ballot

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member

F1fan

Veteran Member
It all depends on the Supreme Court's decision on the Colorado (and Maine) case. Most predictions are that they won't allow any state to use the 14th amendment to ban Trump from ballots.

Given other acts by the SC it looks to be on the US voter to reject Trump again. Of course this is not a stright popular vote, Trump coulkd lose the popular vote a third time and still win the Electoral College. These elections are only decided by 4-6 swing states. All other states are irrelevant since they are so well established as red or blue states. That makes a lot of voters feeling helpless since their votes don't matter.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Illinois judge says 14th Amendment bars Trump from 2024 primary ballot.

Will it hold up or fail?

We have already discussed this quite a bit. It was rather odd the way that the judge came up with this, since she knew that the Supreme Court is deciding this matter right now. Oregon paused their case because there is no point in going on if the Supreme Court finds against Colorado. Personally I too hope that the Republicans are forced to find a better candidate, but it is unlikely. I have been following the case and as much as I would love to say that "It looks bad for Trump" in this matter I will have to sadly say that it looks as if Trump will win.

At least the article that you linked did link to a source that reports on the USSC case.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
We have already discussed this quite a bit. It was rather odd the way that the judge came up with this, since she knew that the Supreme Court is deciding this matter right now. Oregon paused their case because there is no point in going on if the Supreme Court finds against Colorado. Personally I too hope that the Republicans are forced to find a better candidate, but it is unlikely. I have been following the case and as much as I would love to say that "It looks bad for Trump" in this matter I will have to sadly say that it looks as if Trump will win.

At least the article that you linked did link to a source that reports on the USSC case.
The conservative majority on SCOTUS has already decided.
They'll just go thru the motions of hearing the case, then
construct a rationale to keep Trump in the race.
He won't be awarded absolute immunity, but he will get
qualified immunity. And everything he did will be judged
below that threshold of criminality.

How do I know this? I'm not prescient. But a Drudge
Report fell thru a wormhole from the future onto my
computer.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member

computer.
sadly, i think the smart money is on your prediction :(

Clizby Wampuscat

computer.
Sounds like you are the one that has made up their mind and won’t look at the rationale no matter what they decide.

Clizby Wampuscat

What a poor inference you have there.

I can't make up their minds for them.
I've no influence on them whatsoever.
That should be obvious.
But I'll read their rationale when they deliver.
You said you would not accept it if it was for trump because you believe they will just make something up.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
You said you would not accept it if it was for trump because you believe they will just make something up.
Where did he say that he may not accept it? Actually he got off track a bit and is discussing another case that the USSC is going to hear. One that they should have rejected. Trumpism is a disease that even affects the USSC at times.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Where did he say that he may not accept it? Actually he got off track a bit and is discussing another case that the USSC is going to hear. One that they should have rejected. Trumpism is a disease that even affects the USSC at times.
If Thomas had ethics (which he doesn't) he would recuse himself since his wife was involved in the very crime Trump has been charged with, and that Trump claims he is immune from prosecution.

F1fan

Veteran Member
There is hope. But not much. Do you ever watch John Oliver's Last Week Tonight?

I did see that. It's horrifying how unethical Thomas and other justices are. And they feel no shame when it is exposed.

I feel bad for the three liberals on the court. Sometimes even Roberts. These reputations will be harshly judged by history.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I did see that. It's horrifying how unethical Thomas and other justices are. And they feel no shame when it is exposed.

I feel bad for the three liberals on the court. Sometimes even Roberts. These reputations will be harshly judged by history.
Just watch the last five minutes or so if you want to see the solution that John came up with.

Clizby Wampuscat

Find the quote you claim exists.
With this comment would you accept the ruling of the supreme court as legitimate or not? If you think they are just going to rule for Trump no matter what that sounds like you won't accept their decision if they rule for Trump.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
With this comment would you accept the ruling of the supreme court as legitimate or not?
I'm in no position to either accept or reject it.
I've no power.
I might agree or disagree with whatever ruling they make.
So it goes with other SCOTUS decisions.
If you think they are just going to rule for Trump no matter what that sounds like you won't accept their decision if they rule for Trump.
Don't dwell on what it "sounds like".
To infer something not there leads to misunderstanding.
And you didn't even get the humor.