• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Illinois House Bill 3751

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery

Illinois House Bill 3751 allows for "an individual who is not a citizen but is legally authorized to work in the United States under federal law is authorized to apply for the position of police officer, subject to all requirements and limitations, other than citizenship, to which other applicants are subject. Effective January 1, 2024."

Folks, I'm having trouble with this one. Can anyone explain why this is even reasonable? My guess is that they are having big recruitment problems and this is one solution - however loopy.

Got any choice words @Revoltingest

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist

Illinois House Bill 3751 allows for "an individual who is not a citizen but is legally authorized to work in the United States under federal law is authorized to apply for the position of police officer, subject to all requirements and limitations, other than citizenship, to which other applicants are subject. Effective January 1, 2024."

Folks, I'm having trouble with this one. Can anyone explain why this is even reasonable? My guess is that they are having big recruitment problems and this is one solution - however loopy.
I don't have a problem with that, plus what is decided in Illinois is Illinois choice.

However, it's a pity they don't live here in Michigan. :D

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
This seems like a good way of introducing a powerful 5th column...

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

It has happened before in our past. There is the old cliche' of the Irish cope. Many early Irish immigrants could not find work. Police forces were one place that they could get jobs. They did not seem to be any better or any worse than other Americans at that time.

We Never Know

No Slack

Not the first state

"California and Colorado have passed laws that would permit noncitizens authorized to work in the U.S. to become police officers, while New Jersey and other states consider similar legislation"

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Sure, come to the US were we'll put a gun in your hands and teach you how to use the treat of violence to control the public.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

Could a ferriner be worse than an Ameristanian cop?
Although illegal demands to see your papers by a
cop with a heavy German accent could be troubling.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Who thought up that bright idea?

Let me guess, a bunch of ******* Democrats. Right?

Not surprised.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Could a ferriner be worse than an Ameristanian cop?
Although illegal demands to see your papers by a
cop with a heavy German accent could be troubling.

As long as it's not a Russian with a big "Z" somewhere on her body, I don't see a problem.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Another statement by someone who does not know history since this practice goes back to the 1850's with Irish immigrants.
They were Irish Americans bright eyes.

Show me where they were non citizens rather than your unsourced statement.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
This seems like a good way of introducing a powerful 5th column...

It may be a good reason for us to reevaluate how we train police, the kinds of responsibilities they have, and what kind of oversight and restrictions they have.

If a vocation that requires very little training in relation to the amount of responsibility it entails with very little oversight is able to work as an opportunity for undermining our society, it makes sense we should change it regardless of whether non-citizens can take it. There are plenty of citizens who could take the same opportunity.

On the plus side, if it's a good job, it might change the mind of a non-citizen who may appreciate the opportunity for a good life.

wellwisher

Illinois is one of those Democrat run states, that people are leaving for other lower tax states like Texas and Florida. The taxes are high and crime is bad. It is third leading state, behind California and New York, where people and business are leaving. There may be a shortage of police and decreasing tax revenue, due to the coddling of criminals, and the police having a Liberal target on their back. The powers to be figure they can hire immigrants at half the price.

What the the boneheads may or may not understand is the immigrants, from poor Latin American Countries, understand the role of police in a different way than we do. In third world countries, police is more based on bribery and force. I am not saying these immigrants will do it that way, but that is how it is within these tough countries, where the drug gangs own the police, and the citizens are on often their own, and feel the need to flee. The Chicago drug gangs may will recruit these immigrant police, so third world Chicago neighborhoods, can feel more like home. The Politicians of Chicago may know this, but may be OK with that, as long as they get a cut of the action.