• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you were shown irrefutable evidence that heaven or hell did not exist, would that interest you?

If you were shown irrefutable evidence that heaven or hell did not exist would you

• Modify your faith in light of the evidence

Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Accept the evidence while keeping your faith intact.

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Ignore the evidence and continue as though you had not seen it

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Other, please explain?

Votes: 12 44.4%

• Total voters

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
We. As in those who visit this thread

I made it clear who i was addressing the thread to. If that doesnt spply to you then fair enough?
i think you're last statement proves the point that believing doesn't necessarily make everything clear for everyone?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
If you're not sure if I have the right or wrong idea of the Big Bang Singularity, then why comment.

You made a comment of singularity the size of a pinhead, this is only a limited idea. I know if no hypothesis that identify a pre bb singularity as the size of a pinhead

On the contrary, the people that use such terminology tend to lack understanding of the bb

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Uh Oh, I voted:

*Ignore the evidence and continue as though you had not seen it

I'm the only one that voted that way so far.

I wonder if I should change my vote?

Nope, my faith in heaven, my faith in the Lord, remains firm.

I can do nothing without Him, He is the true vine I am the branch.

“I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. If you do not remain in me, you are like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned.​

I would dismiss the evidence.

It's a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

Because I know Satan prowls around like a roaring lion seeking who he may devour.

Satan can appear as an angel of light, performing many signs and wonders.

If not to deceive even the very Elect of God.

(If that were possible)

Good luck with that.

:)

So whatever is in a book, you believe? Not interested in proof?

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
That's going to be fun to experiment with on judgement day after the thousand years are finished.

Good luck with that.

It doesn't matter that the Hebrew god killed or ordered the killing of thousands in the OT alone? There is very little mention of a devil and his evil deeds. He certainly killed far fewer than Yahweh did. The idea came from Zoroastrianism anyway.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
Inspired by a thread by @ideogenous_mover,
If an entity offered you as an atheist an after life after you lived, would that interest you

A question to all those with belief in the afterlife. If you were shown irrefutable evidence that heaven or hell did not exist would that,
evidence cause you to modify your faith? Would your faith in heaven/hell remain firm? Or would you dismiss the evidence?

Of course I cannot provide such irrefutable evidence, only circumstantial which is of no value to a believer.
I would try to live upright and help others to as well just the harder.

ChristineM

Premium Member
That's going to be fun to experiment with on judgement day after the thousand years are finished.

Good luck with that.

Seems you dont know much about the biblical depiction of the devil.

There is nothing in the bible to portray the devil as evil.

Lets talk murders
God 2000000+. The devil 10

ChristineM

Premium Member
forms have limits, energy doesn't. doesn't matter if you believe, or not, reality is going to be no thing but definitely not nothing.

Yes, i have already stated i understand that

Dave Watchman

So whatever is in a book, you believe?

Yep.

Not just A book.

This Book:

brown_grande.jpg

The planet's number one best selling Book.

The Word of God.

(The Atheists must wonder about that)

Not interested in proof?

I have too much already.

My cup has a convex meniscus,
And it runneth over.

It doesn't matter that the Hebrew god killed or ordered the killing of thousands in the OT alone? There is very little mention of a devil and his evil deeds. He certainly killed far fewer than Yahweh did. The idea came from Zoroastrianism anyway.

And He arranged to have His own Son killed on our behalf.

His ways are higher than our ways.

Have no fear of those who can kill the body.

"And I say to you my friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body and after this there is nothing more for them to do." "But I will show you whom you should fear: that one who after he kills is authorized to cast into Gehenna; yes I say to you, be afraid of this one - Luke 12:4​

God knows He can bring us back.

We do not grieve as others do who have no hope.

We know that God, through Christ Jesus, will bring with Him those who have fallen asleep.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Inspired by a thread by @ideogenous_mover,
If an entity offered you as an atheist an after life after you lived, would that interest you

A question to all those with belief in the afterlife. If you were shown irrefutable evidence that heaven or hell did not exist would that,
evidence cause you to modify your faith? Would your faith in heaven/hell remain firm? Or would you dismiss the evidence?

Of course I cannot provide such irrefutable evidence, only circumstantial which is of no value to a believer.
Irrefutable evidence of something not existing is the ultimate ace in the hole.

It would take irrefutable evidence to prove something exists to counteract that, so you win by default for having the strongest evidence to begin with because it's completely true at the onset.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Yep.

Not just A book.

This Book:

brown_grande.jpg

The Word of God.

I have too much already.

And it runneth over.

"And I say to you my friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body and after this there is nothing more for them to do." "But I will show you whom you should fear: that one who after he kills is authorized to cast into Gehenna; yes I say to you, be afraid of this one - Luke 12:4​

We know that God, through Christ Jesus, will bring with Him those who have fallen asleep.
Well if the pages glowed, and the book mysteriously hovered above it's resting place surrounded by angel wings and a holy chorus of disembodied voices, you might of had a point with that.

Dave Watchman

Well if the pages glowed, and the book mysteriously hovered above it's resting place surrounded by angel wings and a holy chorus of disembodied voices, you might of had a point with that.

Mine does.

I thought that they all glowed.

The unfolding of Your Words gives light;
it gives understanding to the simple.

"Your word is a lamp for my feet,
a light on my path. Psalm - 119:105​

Seriously, I rest my case.

Try to find me the next runner up to it.

Or the Gospel story that it holds.

Try to find me a Budda, or a Ramakrishna, or another religious figure that came back to life after three days and nights in the heart of the earth.

There is none.

My wager is a sure thing.

The more sure Word.

The Way and the Truth and the Life.

Dreadful sorry Clementine.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
If you were shown irrefutable evidence that heaven or hell did not exist
Interesting.

IMHO: Irrefutable evidence about existence of heaven can only be provided by God (defined as omniscient + omnipresent). You must have been everywhere and seen all to be able to claim this (without being a fool).

I would dismiss the evidence.

Therefore I would not dismiss the evidence
And make sure to ask a bunch of other unanswered questions.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Yep.

Not just A book.

This Book:

brown_grande.jpg

The Word of God.

I have too much already.

And it runneth over.

It actually does not come up in any top ten list of best selling books.

It is however the most published and most given away

ChristineM

Premium Member
Interesting.

IMHO: Irrefutable evidence about existence of heaven can only be provided by God (defined as omniscient + omnipresent). You must have been everywhere and seen all to be able to claim this (without being a fool).

Therefore I would not dismiss the evidence
And make sure to ask a bunch of other unanswered questions.

I did say "if"
And i also said that i cannot provide such evidence

But i am happy to see you would at least question the evidence

Skwim

Veteran Member
To me, any irrefutable evidence of the nonexistence of heaven or hell is of no more interest than any irrefutable evidence of the nonexistence of unicorns.