• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you don't trust the Catholic Church, why do you trust the Bible?

Tumah

Veteran Member
Jesus called the Jewish leaders the "Synagogue of Satan" yet quoted their scriptures.
Word on the street is that he didn't actually quote from the Scriptures of the Jewish leaders. The authors of the NT quote the Septuagint, not the MT.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
Word on the street is that he didn't actually quote from the Scriptures of the Jewish leaders. The authors of the NT quote the Septuagint, not the MT.

Jesus quoted whatever was being used by the Jews at the temple of Jerusalem in the time he was on Earth.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tumah

Veteran Member
Jesus quoted
I can cite sources that the NT uses the LXX, so you'll need to prove anything in the rest of this statement that doesn't conform to that.
What is the Septuagint?

whatever was being used by the Jews at the temple of Jerusalem in the time he was on Earth.

By which Jews at the Temple? The Pharisees? The Saducees? And do you mean what they actually used at the Temple or what Jews who went to the Temple used privately? They read from the Torah once a year in the Temple and that was only the Pentateuch. Are you suggesting Jesus only quoted the Pentateuch?

Word on the street is, Jews say just about anything that is anti-Jesus.

12/28/2017 the day facts became a biased position.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
I can cite sources that the NT uses the LXX, so you'll need to prove anything in the rest of this statement that doesn't conform to that.
What is the Septuagint?

By which Jews at the Temple? The Pharisees? The Saducees? And do you mean what they actually used at the Temple or what Jews who went to the Temple used privately? They read from the Torah once a year in the Temple and that was only the Pentateuch. Are you suggesting Jesus only quoted the Pentateuch?

12/28/2017 the day facts became a biased position.

The Law and the Prophets is all Jesus mentioned; nothing about any babylonian talmuds or Septuagints. If the septuagint or talmuds have quotes from the law and the prophets you might find some sources who would say he quoted those instead. Whether you're fool enough to listen to them is up to you.

Tumah

Veteran Member
The Law and the Prophets is all Jesus mentioned; nothing about any babylonian talmuds or Septuagints. If the septuagint or talmuds have quotes from the law and the prophets you might find some sources who would say he quoted those instead. Whether you're fool enough to listen to them is up to you.
1. You don't know anything that Jesus may or may not have said except as is quoted in the NT.
2. I have not quoted, paraphrased, or brought into the discussion either of the Talmuds in any form.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
1. You don't know anything that Jesus may or may not have said except as is quoted in the NT.
2. I have not quoted, paraphrased, or brought into the discussion either of the Talmuds in any form.

But how should i know anything you may or may not have said except what is written on this forum. How do I know you haven't said anything about the Talmud?

Tumah

Veteran Member
But how should i know anything you may or may not have said except what is written on this forum.
What I've said on this forum is what I've said though. So taking your analogy that means what the NT quotes Jesus as saying is what he said too. Which brings us back to our original issue: you claim that Jesus quoted the Scriptures of the Jewish leaders, when in fact he [is said to have] quoted the LXX, a translation not used by the Jewish leaders.

How do I know you haven't said anything about the Talmud?
Are you just trying to deflect from your lack of point? If I was making an argument from the Talmud, then I'd either preface it by saying such, or you'd recognize it for not being an objective point.

Kemosloby

Premium Member
What I've said on this forum is what I've said though. So taking your analogy that means what the NT quotes Jesus as saying is what he said too. Which brings us back to our original issue: you claim that Jesus quoted the Scriptures of the Jewish leaders, when in fact he [is said to have] quoted the LXX, a translation not used by the Jewish leaders.

Are you just trying to deflect from your lack of point? If I was making an argument from the Talmud, then I'd either preface it by saying such, or you'd recognize it for not being an objective point.

Blah blah blah

kjw47

The question is for Christians. The Catholic Church decided which books would be in your Bible at the councils of Rome, Carthage, and Hippo. The Bible is a Catholic book.

If you don't trust the church, why do you trust that they made the right decision putting together your new testament Canon?

Furthermore, how do you know they didn't tamper with it throughout the centuries. For centuries there were no other Christian churches on the face of the Earth but the Catholic Church.

If the Catholic church is so evil, that shows what a terrible job God does at guiding and shepherding his people. How could God be so pitiful? The only churches on the face of the Earth preaching that Jesus is Lord were catholic.

God lets centuries of people become totally deceived and didn't introduce protestantism to the world until the 16th century. Protestants who claim that the Catholic church is the whore of Babylon, are stating that the Bible they love so much was put together by the whore of Babylon. How is that Bible trustworthy?

No protestants ever fixed the translating errors that Catholicism did. They are all in the same boat-- up the creek without a paddle.
Yes all trusting trinity based translations put their eternal lives on Catholicism translating.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Yes all trusting trinity based translations put their eternal lives on Catholicism translating.
Tell us, kjw47, have you had any thoughts about maybe accepting Biblical teachings whereas you decide to believe in what Jesus and Paul taught, especially when it comes to not judging others? Seems to me that you're just blowing them off so you can blindly believe in what your JW leaders have taught you is right and proper even though it's in defiance of what Jesus and Paul taught.

I guess it boils down to this: do you believe in Jesus and Paul or do you believe in your JW teachers even though it's clear you can't truly believe in both, especially in regards to judging others?

John 3:16 says nothing about the trinitarian concept one way or the other, and yet your JW leaders have told you that salvation may not be had by those who accept the trinitarian approach. Was John wrong and your JW teachers right on this, kjw47?

kjw47

Tell us, kjw47, have you had any thoughts about maybe accepting Biblical teachings whereas you decide to believe in what Jesus and Paul taught, especially when it comes to not judging others? Seems to me that you're just blowing them off so you can blindly believe in what your JW leaders have taught you is right and proper even though it's in defiance of what Jesus and Paul taught.

I guess it boils down to this: do you believe in Jesus and Paul or do you believe in your JW teachers even though it's clear you can't truly believe in both, especially in regards to judging others?

John 3:16 says nothing about the trinitarian concept one way or the other, and yet your JW leaders have told you that salvation may not be had by those who accept the trinitarian approach. Was John wrong and your JW teachers right on this, kjw47?

I share bible principles on matters, I personally do not judge. The bible teaches it is a two edged sword. Most do not like the reality of Gods will. They killed Jesus, apostles then the followers. Not for teaching-Love-Peace and unity-- But showing the world as well the satan ruled side. The false god worship and pagan practices handed down from parent to child by the majority on earth. its always been that way. Have you read the bible? The only possible time 99% weren't being mislead was in the OT when Israel stood strong, but they fell over and over. Its much worse today. Jesus compared these last days to Noahs day.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I share bible principles on matters, I personally do not judge.
Yes you have-- over and over again you have. This is what the JW's do all the time as anyone who's had yas on their doorstep can vouch for. It's what your literature repeatedly says.

Whom are you trying to kid here, kjw47, as your posts repeatedly reek of judgementalism?

kjw47

Yes you have-- over and over again you have. This is what the JW's do all the time as anyone who's had yas on their doorstep can vouch for. It's what your literature repeatedly says.

Whom are you trying to kid here, kjw47, as your posts repeatedly reek of judgementalism?

The bible has done the judging. Sharing those truths does not make the sharer the judge. I state facts to the best of my abilities--that is all.
There are lists of unacceptable sins-1Cor 6:9-11, Gal 5:19-21 add in false god worship and partaking off the table of demons = 99% on earth. Yet the blind guides assure these--you are saved or born again and God assured them they will NOT be allowed in his kingdom. Should I stand by and watch my fellow humans go down with this system or speak out? Jesus , apostles and followers chose to speak out--they were murdered for sharing Gods truth and judgements. The world hates truth.

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
I would not bring this up except it is something that keeps popping up in your posts and I am curious about it. You seem to have a distaste, a disdain, a dislike, a hatred for Jews and Judaism. Your abhorrence is inescapable and I would just like to know why.