• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If you could talk to a rioter.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I don't see that it's just a matter of debate or disagreement, at least not in how it's often manifested in America. Remember our conversation about "cancel culture." People are so passionate about politics that they can't just agree to disagree. They feel the need to call people out, doxx them, ruin their lives, or even kill them for having a view they don't like.
"Cancel culture" isn't anything new. It's just that the right-wing used to be in charge of "cancelling" people and now they're not.

Suddenly, people are being confronted with real consequences of things they did that used to be rather safe: a manager coercing a staff member into sex, for instance... or a cop pulling over someone for "driving while black."

I think a lot of the objections I hear to "cancel culture" these days are rooted in an unreasonable sense of entitlement. They're predicated on the idea that someone "deserves" their position of wealth and status that they arrived at mostly due to luck, so it's somehow an injustice that it's taken away.

A couple of years ago, one of the local morning shows here fired half of their on-air staff because they were going for a new "look" to keep things "fresh." They were really good, but lost their jobs through no fault of their own. But some rapist in a similar situation thinks he's entitled to his job? Not likely.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Cats are so uppity though. Dogs are where it’s at

I don't know... my dogs say the same thing all the time.
"You gonna pet me or feed me?"

The cats vary.

Troy: "I'm a good kitty. Let me lick your hands."
Cub: "Admire me. I'm hungry."
Quesa: "Lets cuddle and forget these other nutsos exist."
Nina: No one can really understand what Nina says, not even the other cats. She's not quite all there.
Lamar: "You're a good people, and I appreciate you."
Swatty: "I'm so happy you guys aren't going to eat me!" (was feral the longest)
Kore: "Do you have any pizza? Will you scratch my back? What stinks? I love stink!"
Lucky: "Pet me. Pet me NOW! Dang it! Pet me!"
Yodel: "Whatcha doing? Whatcha eating? Whatcha looking at?"
Stupid: "Who put the toilet lid down?"

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't know... my dogs say the same thing all the time.
"You gonna pet me or feed me?"

The cats vary.

Troy: "I'm a good kitty. Let me lick your hands."
Cub: "Admire me. I'm hungry."
Quesa: "Lets cuddle and forget these other nutsos exist."
Nina: No one can really understand what Nina says, not even the other cats. She's not quite all there.
Lamar: "You're a good people, and I appreciate you."
Swatty: "I'm so happy you guys aren't going to eat me!" (was feral the longest)
Kore: "Do you have any pizza? Will you scratch my back? What stinks? I love stink!"
Lucky: "Pet me. Pet me NOW! Dang it! Pet me!"
Yodel: "Whatcha doing? Whatcha eating? Whatcha looking at?"
Stupid: "Who put the toilet lid down?"
There’s an old proverb that comes to mind
“Cats have slaves, dogs have masters.”

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
If you could talk to one (or even a large crowd) of the seditionist rioters who rampaged their way into the US Capital Building last week on Wednesday the 6th, now, one week later.....

What would you tell them?
What would you ask them?
How might you advise them for the future, both near and far?

Two sentences.......
What you have done has damaged the name of everything that I think you believe in.
But if you believe in violence then only justice can do anything about that.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
There’s an old proverb that comes to mind
“Cats have slaves, dogs have masters.”

That's what I've heard, but I disagree. You can be your cat's slave...or you can join the hierarchy. Once cats think you're one of them, they behave differently.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
That's what I've heard, but I disagree. You can be your cat's slave...or you can join the hierarchy. Once cats think you're one of them, they behave differently.
Ahh so play their own game then? They that manipulative?

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.
If you could talk to one (or even a large crowd) of the seditionist rioters who rampaged their way into the US Capital Building last week on Wednesday the 6th, now, one week later.....

What would you tell them?
What would you ask them?
How might you advise them for the future, both near and far?

Mark 12:30-31

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
"Cancel culture" isn't anything new. It's just that the right-wing used to be in charge of "cancelling" people and now they're not.

Suddenly, people are being confronted with real consequences of things they did that used to be rather safe: a manager coercing a staff member into sex, for instance... or a cop pulling over someone for "driving while black."

You're describing actions, not words or ideas. Calling people out for their actions which have provable harm towards other humans is not really the same thing.

I think a lot of the objections I hear to "cancel culture" these days are rooted in an unreasonable sense of entitlement. They're predicated on the idea that someone "deserves" their position of wealth and status that they arrived at mostly due to luck, so it's somehow an injustice that it's taken away.

There's another side to it. Regardless of whatever someone feels entitled to or deserves, there might still be those who might be interested in what they have to say. For example, if a scientist made some great achievement, I might want to hear about it, and I might be put off by someone who wants to cancel it just because he might have worn a sexist t-shirt.

It's not just punishing a speaker or writer or whoever it might be who is canceled. It also punishes those who might be interested in hearing what they have to say. There's nothing wrong with listening and giving people a chance to explain themselves. If the people don't like it, then they can disagree. But I see nothing wrong with letting both sides have their say. To do otherwise does a disservice to the people who have a right to make informed choices.

Sure, the right-wing had McCarthy and blacklists of anyone who they thought were communists or sympathizers, but they couldn't really cancel the left-wing. Public opinion was turning against them, and the right-wing attempts to associate people like MLK, JFK, the anti-war protesters, civil rights leaders, and even the Beatles with international communism, more and more people just stopped buying it. So, at least in the case of the right-wingers, their attempts at cancelling people ultimately backfired - and quite badly.

A couple of years ago, one of the local morning shows here fired half of their on-air staff because they were going for a new "look" to keep things "fresh." They were really good, but lost their jobs through no fault of their own. But some rapist in a similar situation thinks he's entitled to his job? Not likely.

I'm not sure which rapist you're referring to or whether they feel entitled to their job. If they're convicted rapists, they should be in prison. If they're ever released, they would be on a sex offenders list. As for employment, I guess that depends. Ex-convicts aren't necessarily disqualified from employment everywhere, although I suppose it would depend on what kind of work it is. I'm not sure how that actually works. But I do know that they can find work. Maybe they wouldn't be very good jobs, especially for a rapist. Maybe some distant outpost or weather station in Alaska.

But for someone who hasn't committed any crimes, they might have better employment options, depending on their skills, experience, and qualifications. Should people be barred from employment for their political beliefs, even if they haven't committed any actual crimes? For a TV show or some other public type job, I can see it, if it reflects badly on the employer. I guess it just depends on the job, but I can't see barring them from any and all means of earning of living. That's as much as condemning someone to poverty, homelessness, and starvation. That's more cruel than throwing them in prison.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
People are the worst.
But I've tried talking to cats.
They have a limited perspective....
"Feed me."
"Everything here is mine."
"That June bug is wicked."

Cats are very particular as to which humans they share their deepest most profound wisdom with.

JustGeorge

Staff member
Premium Member
Ever had a cat clean your litter box?

I tend to use the toilet. Its easier, though I suppose it wastes water...

I did have a cat that would run from any corner of the house and panic whenever I threw up during my second pregnancy(which was a lot, he was dedicated). He got his head thrown up on once... he was completely non judgmental. "I see you're not feeling well again." He seemed to say, as vomit dripped down from his ears...