• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If time is a dimension, does the past and future exist physically still?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Do all moments of time always physically exist?
There remain questions about time, gravity and quanta. We don't have a quantum theory of gravity, and it is known in Physics that one is needed. Currently two possible theories getting attention are String Theory and Loop Quantum Gravity. These are not true theories yet. They are more like mathematical constructs that are hypothesis to explain phenomena, and its hard to test them. If we can't test them, then they cannot become scientific theories despite the word 'Theory' in String Theory.

Brian2

Veteran Member
If it all exists now then we are experiencing all of it now, not just a slice of it.
How does cause and effect fit it?

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
Time isn't a thing. It's a measurement.
A measurement of duration, right? In a similar way that space is a measurement of distance. All things physically exist in width, length, and height, which are measurements. So what’s the difference?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
A measurement of duration, right? In a similar way that space is a measurement of distance. All things physically exist in width, length, and height, which are measurements. So what’s the difference?
You can't pinpoint a true beginning or ending for time.

Just a defacto 'start' and 'end' making time a sliding scale limited to our applications where the measurements are of use. .

Heyo

Veteran Member
Do all moments of time always physically exist?
There is a hypothesis called "B Theory of Time". According to that hypothesis time is like a book or a film. It all exists physically but you are only experiencing it one frame at a time. This is in full accord with the theories of relativity but conflict with quantum theory.
The consequence of B theory is determinism. The future already exists, you can't change it.

The Sum of Awe

Brought to you by the moment that spacetime began.
There is a hypothesis called "B Theory of Time". According to that hypothesis time is like a book or a film. It all exists physically but you are only experiencing it one frame at a time. This is in full accord with the theories of relativity but conflict with quantum theory.
The consequence of B theory is determinism. The future already exists, you can't change it.
I have always thought relativity, as I understand it, made more sense as a model for time space and gravity than QM does.

Heyo

Veteran Member
I have always thought relativity, as I understand it, made more sense as a model for time space and gravity than QM does.
Yes, it's pretty straight forward and simple but:
1. I don't like it
2. QM seems to hint at a basically stochastic universe.