• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If there is the devil, why did God create him?

Real Sorceror

Pirate Hunter
Tiberius said:
However, even if we ignore the problem of an all knowing God being incompatible with the idea of free will, we still have the question of a god who didn't know that Satan was going to turn out to be a nasty piece of work.

Unless you want to arbitrarily redefine God to limit his powers in an attempt to solve this problem. But then aren't you just making up a God?
Well first, I don't believe that the future is something that can be known. It doesn't exist. It hasn't happened yet. "Future" is just a word to describe what happens after right now. "All-Knowing" only extends to things that have happened and are happening. Therefore, before God created anything, did He know about violence, death, or destruction? Ergo, God created Satan with the belief that he would be normal. Also, if I know what someone is going to do, how does it stop them from having free-will? Just becuase I can know or predict their behavior doesn't mean they have no free-choice.
And yet God still lets him hang around and screw up those wonderful little Humans that God made so lovingly. if God was prepared to wipe out all of humanity in the flood for some lowly human type sins, why doesn't he also wipe out Satan? Satan, after all, is only one being, and don't tell me his sins are less than what the people of Noah's time were doing.
We are talking about two different Gods here. I don't take anything in the Old Testament literally, becuase I'm a theistic evolutionist. I consider the universe to be God's greatest creation and I believe God speaks through His creations. Creation is His language, so to speak. Therefore if the Earth provides overwhelming evidence that Genesis is not a historic account, I am inclined to believe thay evidence.
Again, free will and an all knowing God. How do we have the freedom to choose if God always knows what we will choose?
And agian, just becuase I know that you are going to cross the street does not mean that you didn't choose to cross the street. I am not deciding your action for you, I simply know what you are going to do.
He destroyed just about the whole Earth in the flood, didn't he?
Nope.
Again, I point you in the direction of Noah's Flood.
If you would like to discuss these sorts of things, is there perhaps a "Noah's Ark" thread anywhere?

Real Sorceror

Pirate Hunter
Katzpur said:
That is really interesting. With a certain amount of stretching, it corresponds roughly to my belief.
Yes, my personal religion is sort of familiar to everyone. Its becuase I've "borrowed" beliefs from just about everyone. I just kinda search for those beliefs that "fit" or "sing".
I also have a belief that every religion of the world is a piece of the Ultimate Truth. Basically, all religions are incomplete taken by themselves(even my own "mixing pot" religion). There is some truth to be learned from each of them. (except Scientology :sarcastic)

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Real Sorceror said:
Yes, my personal religion is sort of familiar to everyone. Its becuase I've "borrowed" beliefs from just about everyone. I just kinda search for those beliefs that "fit" or "sing".
I'm curious... Where did you borrow your idea of 9 hells and 7 heavens from?

Real Sorceror

Pirate Hunter
Katzpur said:
I'm curious... Where did you borrow your idea of 9 hells and 7 heavens from?
Thats gonna be tough. I don't exactly wright these things down. The important aspect of that belief is the "multiple layers" part........but where did I get that from....oh right! I got it from this awsome Christian Buddhist! He goes by the screen name "Freelight". He is a very inspirational figure for me, but I didn't tell him that becuase it sounds weird.:eek: Anyway, he gave me the idea of multiple Heavens and Hells, and that people can ascend/descend through them. After that, I just looked at different beliefs for a specific number. Any time multiple Hells are mentioned, the most common number is nine. The Torah mentions three Hells~ Sheol, Tartarus, and one other. Anytime multiple Heavens are mentioned, seven is the most commonly excepted number. This is not exactly Biblical, but it was a pretty common belief among early Christians and pagans. A fun fact is that 7 is a lucky number in the west, while 9 is often a lucky number in the east. Not sure if thats related in any way.

Random

Real Sorceror said:
Thats gonna be tough. I don't exactly wright these things down. The important aspect of that belief is the "multiple layers" part........but where did I get that from....oh right! I got it from this awsome Christian Buddhist! He goes by the screen name "Freelight". He is a very inspirational figure for me, but I didn't tell him that becuase it sounds weird.:eek: Anyway, he gave me the idea of multiple Heavens and Hells, and that people can ascend/descend through them. After that, I just looked at different beliefs for a specific number. Any time multiple Hells are mentioned, the most common number is nine. The Torah mentions three Hells~ Sheol, Tartarus, and one other. Anytime multiple Heavens are mentioned, seven is the most commonly excepted number. This is not exactly Biblical, but it was a pretty common belief among early Christians and pagans. A fun fact is that 7 is a lucky number in the west, while 9 is often a lucky number in the east. Not sure if thats related in any way.

I heard of 7 Heavens and 9 Hells in the cosmology of the Dungeons & Dragons role-playing game I used to particitpate in as a teen! Wouldn't suggest "Freelight" got his ideas from that though...:D

Real Sorceror

Pirate Hunter
Godlike said:
I heard of 7 Heavens and 9 Hells in the cosmology of the Dungeons & Dragons role-playing game I used to particitpate in as a teen! Wouldn't suggest "Freelight" got his ideas from that though...:D
No, he didn't have a specific number and Freelight is not the kind of guy to base his idealogy on a role-playing game.
However, I myself am an avid D&D player. I hadn't realized they used the same numbers until after I bought the Book of Exalted Deeds. Then agian, those naughty Wizards of the Coast are known to use real-world stuff in their games.;)

fullyveiled muslimah

Evil incarnate!
Genna said:
If there is the devil, why did God create him? I am not sure which religions believe in a personal devil but know that Islam and Christianity do. Also the bible says that God creates evil, why would he allow for such wickedness to present in this world if he loves mankind? Why not destroy this devil? Is he not powerful enough to rid the world of this devil on his own?

I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. (Isaiah 45:7, KJV)

Actually, the way Islam presents the situation is that Allah created Azazeal/Iblis as any other being. Shaytan (as he is known now) is a jinn (which is a whole other thread if I am to explain what that is). In Quran Allah states the purpose of the creation of humans and jinn as for the worship of Allah. Shaytan was no exception to this. Humans and jinn have a free-will as opposed to angels who do not have this. Shaytan refused to prostrate to Adam upon direct command from Allah. Since that time shaytan was cursed by Allah after ascertaining the purpose of shaytans disobedience. The reason for shaytans disobedience is because he felt that since he was created from smokeless fire (or heat) that he was better than Adam who was constructed of earth. Shaytan simply felt he was better than Adam. I like to term this as the first racism.

The quran retells the story of how it came to be that shaytan decides that due to his consumming hatred of mankind, he will subvert or lead astray those of mankind whom he can persuade to disobey Allah. This is the stroy from Quran:

(7.11-7.18)
And certainly We created you, then We fashioned you, then We said to the angels:prostrate to Adam. So all of them prostrated except Iblis, he was not of those who prostrated.
Allah said: what hindered you that you did not prostrate when I commanded you? Iblis said: I am better than him. You have created me of fire, while You have created him from dust.
Allah said: then get you down from here (paradise) for it does not befit you to behave proudly therein. Go forth, for surely you are of the accursed ones.
Iblis said: give me respite until the day they are raised up.
Allah said: surely you are of the respited ones.
Iblis said: as You have caused me to be led astray, I will lie in wait for them (mankind) on Your straight path.
Then I will certainly come from before them and from behind them, from their right and from their left, and You shall not find most of them thankful (to You).
Allah said: get down from here, accursed and expelled; and whoever of them will follow you I will fill hell with you all.

This is what Allah says happened with shaytan. Allah did not destroy shaytan at that moment because firstly, shaytan is not a threat and secondly Allah has promised that He will allow shaytans sentencing to be postponed until the day of judgement. Shaytan has promised Allah that he will attempt to lead astray all the people that he can. Allah has restricted shaytan abilities to that of suggestions only. This means that humans retain their free will, but with the added pressure that shaytan will be suggesting that we do things against the will of Allah. We can ignore this if we choose, but usually shaytan suggests things to us that he knows we will want to do.

The evil in the world is not primarily caused by the shaytan. Rather he aids and assists the humans in creating our own evil. It is us who decides that we will go against the orders of Allah, and that we willfully cause trouble to ourselves and others.

Genna

So I guess it is safe to say that the catchphrase "the devil made me do it," is a common fallacy, no?

Peace4all

Tiberius said:
That's the problem of suffering you are talking about. I've never heard a good answer, and I suspect there isn't one.

i got ur answer right here buddy....

Ok so god has been there for all eternity and hes created many creations. I guess god felt that he wanted to be worshiped by creatures with free will so he created ginn (the arabic word translates into spirits) so these spirits have the choice of wheather to worship god or not. When these spirits started to worship god the Angels admired them greatly and soon their intensions deviated and they started to worship god to be admired by his other creations rather than because of their devotion to god. And god knew this. so when god decided to create humans and asks the spirits to bow down to Adam they were outraged. To them it was an insult to having to bow down to such an inferior creature. Those spirits that did not bow to Adam soon were called satans. When god damned them from ever gaining salvation they were even more outraged and they took all their fury out at adam. So the Devil hated adam at the very start because adam was why the devil was damned so he proceeded to trick adam to eat from the forbidden tree and get kicked out of heaven and sent to earth.

So to make the long story shot god created man as a test to satan and satan as a test for man.

Peace4all

fullyveiled muslimah said:
Actually, the way Islam presents the situation is that Allah created Azazeal/Iblis as any other being. Shaytan (as he is known now) is a jinn (which is a whole other thread if I am to explain what that is). In Quran Allah states the purpose of the creation of humans and jinn as for the worship of Allah. Shaytan was no exception to this. Humans and jinn have a free-will as opposed to angels who do not have this. Shaytan refused to prostrate to Adam upon direct command from Allah. Since that time shaytan was cursed by Allah after ascertaining the purpose of shaytans disobedience. The reason for shaytans disobedience is because he felt that since he was created from smokeless fire (or heat) that he was better than Adam who was constructed of earth. Shaytan simply felt he was better than Adam. I like to term this as the first racism.

The quran retells the story of how it came to be that shaytan decides that due to his consumming hatred of mankind, he will subvert or lead astray those of mankind whom he can persuade to disobey Allah. This is the stroy from Quran:

(7.11-7.18)
And certainly We created you, then We fashioned you, then We said to the angels:prostrate to Adam. So all of them prostrated except Iblis, he was not of those who prostrated.
Allah said: what hindered you that you did not prostrate when I commanded you? Iblis said: I am better than him. You have created me of fire, while You have created him from dust.
Allah said: then get you down from here (paradise) for it does not befit you to behave proudly therein. Go forth, for surely you are of the accursed ones.
Iblis said: give me respite until the day they are raised up.
Allah said: surely you are of the respited ones.
Iblis said: as You have caused me to be led astray, I will lie in wait for them (mankind) on Your straight path.
Then I will certainly come from before them and from behind them, from their right and from their left, and You shall not find most of them thankful (to You).
Allah said: get down from here, accursed and expelled; and whoever of them will follow you I will fill hell with you all.

This is what Allah says happened with shaytan. Allah did not destroy shaytan at that moment because firstly, shaytan is not a threat and secondly Allah has promised that He will allow shaytans sentencing to be postponed until the day of judgement. Shaytan has promised Allah that he will attempt to lead astray all the people that he can. Allah has restricted shaytan abilities to that of suggestions only. This means that humans retain their free will, but with the added pressure that shaytan will be suggesting that we do things against the will of Allah. We can ignore this if we choose, but usually shaytan suggests things to us that he knows we will want to do.

The evil in the world is not primarily caused by the shaytan. Rather he aids and assists the humans in creating our own evil. It is us who decides that we will go against the orders of Allah, and that we willfully cause trouble to ourselves and others.

OH SNAP

i did not see all that he typed but she pretty much tells you the whole story!
Frubals fully veiled:clap

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Peace4all said:
Lol i guess it is
I don't personally believe that the devil makes anybody do anything. He doesn't have that kind of power. On the other hand, I do believe in his existance. And I do think he is the one who encourages us to behave in such a way that we will distance ourselves from God. He is able to subtly influence us in such a way that we find ourselves rationalizing when it comes to our choices.

PetShopBoy88

Real Sorceror said:
He was created good. He chose to be evil. In Biblical mythology, Satan is also the first evil being. That means nobody tempted him.
How could he have chosen evil? If Satan is the first evil, there was no evil before him to choose. The only thing he would have seen was good (in the form of God) so how would he have known evil existed in the first place, and therefore have been able to choose it?

fullyveiled muslimah

Evil incarnate!
Katzpur said:
I don't personally believe that the devil makes anybody do anything. He doesn't have that kind of power. On the other hand, I do believe in his existance. And I do think he is the one who encourages us to behave in such a way that we will distance ourselves from God. He is able to subtly influence us in such a way that we find ourselves rationalizing when it comes to our choices.

Exactly. Realizing that shaytan does not have the power to make us do anything, really makes the responsibility ours. As far as Islam is concerned this is one of the primary reasons for heaven, hell, and the day of judgement. Humans have a responsibility to serve God and fulfill the rights of others. We also have the right, responsibility, and the tools to resist any of the suggestions of shaytan. The day of judgement is there to ascertain which of us has successfully fulfilled these obligations to the best of our ability, and which of us didn't even try.

Tiberius

Katzpur said:
No. I have a memory. I have experienced cold, and am therefore able to recognize that heat is its opposite. Anything beyond that is simply a physical response to stimuli.

What if you were one of those people born and raised in a desert? What about the aboriginal people who live in the middle of australia? They don't exactly get cold there. Are they unable to recognise heat?

Let's stick with what I actually said. Where did I say that God created Satan/Lucifer as "Holy"?

You said, "I believe in a devil (Satan). I don't believe God created him evil, but that he chose to be evil." If Satan wasn't created evil, doesn't that mean he was good? And wasn't he created as an angel? And aren't Angels meant to be holy, being messengers from God and all?

Again, you're misquoting me. I never said that Satan isn't evil. I said precisely the opposite.

Well, you seemed to be saying, "Satan isn't evil, he's just not Good." I'm sorry, but I really don't fancy searching through 8 pages looking for the exact quote.

God had a purpose in allowing evil to exist alongside good. Therefore, he gets credit, not blame.

So why was Eden created as a paradise with no suffering or evil? And why were Adam and Eve PUNISHED for eating from the tree if that's what God had planned all along?

I bet he's having himself a hell of a good time :D right now. But it's not over yet.

Which leads to the question, why isn't it over yet. What's God waiting for?

He will when He's ready. He doesn't operate according to your timetable.

Again with the "We can't understand God's plan" which is pulled out whenever there's a question about God which can't be answered.

Does this have anything to do with the topic?

yes, dealing with punishments for doing things wrong. America executes some criminals. God executed most stuff in the Flood. This was directed at the claim that death is not a good punishment, because the punishment requires awareness. I was merely pointing out how that logic is flawed because death is being used as a punishment today, and God's done it himself, so we can't suddenly change the rules when it comes to making excuses for God not punishing Satan by saying, "God doesn't kill Satan because punishments require awareness of the punishment."

Since when did I question Him? If anybody's questioning Him, it's you. Given the fact that you don't even believe in Him, there is about as much point in you questioning Him as there is in me questioning the tooth fairy. Why do you bother?

Oh, sorry, i thought you were claiming that Death wasn't a good punishment, even though God has found it fit to use death as a punishment before. Didn't you say, "How is [death] punishment? Doesn't there need to be awareness in order for punishment to be effective?" Apparently God doesn't think so. he has used death as a punishment before!!!!! And if it's good enough for God, it should be good enough for you!

Real Sorcerer said:
Well first, I don't believe that the future is something that can be known. It doesn't exist. It hasn't happened yet. "Future" is just a word to describe what happens after right now. "All-Knowing" only extends to things that have happened and are happening. Therefore, before God created anything, did He know about violence, death, or destruction? Ergo, God created Satan with the belief that he would be normal. Also, if I know what someone is going to do, how does it stop them from having free-will? Just becuase I can know or predict their behavior doesn't mean they have no free-choice.

Unfortunately I can't confine my debate to your interpretation. There are lots of people who believe that God does know the future. Anyway, there's mention in the Bible of the book of names that contains the list of people who will go to heaven and the list of those who will go to Hell. Unless the names are chosen randomly, then doesn't that indicate at least some foreknowledge of the future? And what about those biblical prophecies?

And agian, just becuase I know that you are going to cross the street does not mean that you didn't choose to cross the street. I am not deciding your action for you, I simply know what you are going to do.

So it's possible for me to NOT cross the street, depsite your knowledge that I will cross it?

And regarding the destruction of the world, I understand that you feel comfortable dismissing the old testament as myth, but as I said before, I can't confine my debate yto your interpretation. besides, my references to Noah's Flood were merely to show that according to the bible, God is perfectly willing to use widespread death as a punishment, which he has failed to use against Satan.

Peace4all said:
Ok so god has been there for all eternity and hes created many creations. I guess god felt that he wanted to be worshiped by creatures with free will so he created ginn (the arabic word translates into spirits) so these spirits have the choice of wheather to worship god or not. When these spirits started to worship god the Angels admired them greatly and soon their intensions deviated and they started to worship god to be admired by his other creations rather than because of their devotion to god. And god knew this. so when god decided to create humans and asks the spirits to bow down to Adam they were outraged. To them it was an insult to having to bow down to such an inferior creature. Those spirits that did not bow to Adam soon were called satans. When god damned them from ever gaining salvation they were even more outraged and they took all their fury out at adam. So the Devil hated adam at the very start because adam was why the devil was damned so he proceeded to trick adam to eat from the forbidden tree and get kicked out of heaven and sent to earth.

So to make the long story shot god created man as a test to satan and satan as a test for man.

Why does God need to perform a test? Doesn't he know what the outcome will be? And at what point did you go from many devils to one devil? Also, why would God require beings to worship him? Was he lonely?

nutshell

Tiberius said:
What if you were one of those people born and raised in a desert? What about the aboriginal people who live in the middle of australia? They don't exactly get cold there. Are they unable to recognise heat?

Then that person's knowledge of hot and cold will be limited to their own experience. There will be certain ends of the spectrum they will not know. Further, their knowledge of hot/cold will be relative. I just moved and everyone around me thinks it's warm, but I think it's hot.

Tiberius said:
You said, "I believe in a devil (Satan). I don't believe God created him evil, but that he chose to be evil." If Satan wasn't created evil, doesn't that mean he was good? And wasn't he created as an angel? And aren't Angels meant to be holy, being messengers from God and all?

He was created with the same potential as all of us - to be like God. He progressed and learned God's plan and choose not to follow it. I don't know if he was created good, but he choose evil. I don't believe we were necessarily created good or evil. In fact, I don't believe God created us from nothing. We already existed as "intelligences" and, IMO, already had some characteristics that set us apart from each other. God organized those intelligences into spirits and began teaching us.

Tiberius said:
Well, you seemed to be saying, "Satan isn't evil, he's just not Good." I'm sorry, but I really don't fancy searching through 8 pages looking for the exact quote.

Read my paragraph above.

Tiberius said:
So why was Eden created as a paradise with no suffering or evil? And why were Adam and Eve PUNISHED for eating from the tree if that's what God had planned all along?

Eden was a paradise in that there was no death...but there was also no learning. Our goal is to become like God, but how could we do that without progression. Adam and Ever were "punished" because they did something they were told not to do by God. However, they were also told to have children, and we believe they could not do that until after they ate from the tree. You see, God set up contradicting commandments knowing that, eventually, they would break one or the other. It was his "switch" to get His plan in motion. And just because Adam and Eve were punished does not mean they will forever be separated from God. They repented and found grace with God.

Tiberius said:
Which leads to the question, why isn't it over yet. What's God waiting for?

Perhaps God is waiting for all the Spirits he organized to come down and receive a body. Perhaps he's waiting for you...who knows.

Tiberius said:
Again with the "We can't understand God's plan" which is pulled out whenever there's a question about God which can't be answered.

Well, the scriptures themselves say it is not for man to know the mysteries of God. How do you expect us to argue against our own canon?

Tiberius said:
yes, dealing with punishments for doing things wrong. America executes some criminals. God executed most stuff in the Flood. This was directed at the claim that death is not a good punishment, because the punishment requires awareness. I was merely pointing out how that logic is flawed because death is being used as a punishment today, and God's done it himself, so we can't suddenly change the rules when it comes to making excuses for God not punishing Satan by saying, "God doesn't kill Satan because punishments require awareness of the punishment."

God has punished Satan. Satan will never receive a physical body and his progression has ended. All of us, by being on earth, surpass Satan in power and progression. What more punishment do you want? He will be shoved away in a quiet corner eventually, but while we live in an imperfect world, he is free to reign.

Tiberius said:
Oh, sorry, i thought you were claiming that Death wasn't a good punishment, even though God has found it fit to use death as a punishment before. Didn't you say, "How is [death] punishment? Doesn't there need to be awareness in order for punishment to be effective?" Apparently God doesn't think so. he has used death as a punishment before!!!!! And if it's good enough for God, it should be good enough for you!

Nice use of exclamation points. :rolleyes:

The death of the OT was under a different law than we have today. Part of the His plan is having perfect Justice and perfect Mercy. The OT was under the law of Justice and the NT ushered in the law of Mercy. And, as stated, Satan has already been punished and will be punished further. I expect his fate is worse than death.

Tiberius said:
Unfortunately I can't confine my debate to your interpretation. There are lots of people who believe that God does know the future. Anyway, there's mention in the Bible of the book of names that contains the list of people who will go to heaven and the list of those who will go to Hell. Unless the names are chosen randomly, then doesn't that indicate at least some foreknowledge of the future? And what about those biblical prophecies?

Those names are written as we do good or do evil. They may not already be determined and in the book. Besides, I expect God knows exactly how things will turn out.

Tiberius said:
So it's possible for me to NOT cross the street, depsite your knowledge that I will cross it?

And regarding the destruction of the world, I understand that you feel comfortable dismissing the old testament as myth, but as I said before, I can't confine my debate yto your interpretation. besides, my references to Noah's Flood were merely to show that according to the bible, God is perfectly willing to use widespread death as a punishment, which he has failed to use against Satan.

See my comments on Justice and Mercy above. As well as my belief Satan has been punished and will be punished again.

Tiberius said:
Why does God need to perform a test? Doesn't he know what the outcome will be? And at what point did you go from many devils to one devil? Also, why would God require beings to worship him? Was he lonely?

The test isn't for God's benefit ---- It's for us (are you passing?). He does know the outcome, IMO. Can you explain what you mean by "And at what point did you go from many devils to one devil?" God requires worship for our own benefit, not his (something about this thing called humility). No, he wasn't lonely.

Real Sorceror

Pirate Hunter
Unfortunately I can't confine my debate to your interpretation. There are lots of people who believe that God does know the future.
Fair enough.
Anyway, there's mention in the Bible of the book of names that contains the list of people who will go to heaven and the list of those who will go to Hell. Unless the names are chosen randomly, then doesn't that indicate at least some foreknowledge of the future? And what about those biblical prophecies?
You're assuming I believe in any of that.
No. You chose to cross the street. It was your decision. I simply knew about it ahead of time. Just becuase I know something does not mean I am controlling you.
And regarding the destruction of the world, I understand that you feel comfortable dismissing the old testament as myth, but as I said before, I can't confine my debate yto your interpretation.
This is not based on my "interpretation". This is based on scientific evidence. The flood never happened. But as I said before, this for another thread.
besides, my references to Noah's Flood were merely to show that according to the bible, God is perfectly willing to use widespread death as a punishment, which he has failed to use against Satan.
And I must disagree. Destroying everything on the planet is an act of extreme immorality and evil. God is incapable of evil.

Real Sorceror

Pirate Hunter
PetShopBoy88 said:
How could he have chosen evil? If Satan is the first evil, there was no evil before him to choose. The only thing he would have seen was good (in the form of God) so how would he have known evil existed in the first place, and therefore have been able to choose it?
As I've said before, the option of evil has always been available; Satan was simply the first one to choose that option. He wasn't thinking about "being evil", he was just thinking about what would benefit him. In other words, he was being selfish and prideful, and these things escalated into his betrayel of God.

gnostic

The Lost One
As lilithu stated, God and Satan are different from the OT (Jewish perspective) and NT (Christian perspective).

I really don't think you can compare the two different literature (OT and NT). In the Hebrew scripture or Old Testament, Satan is not evil at all, but a servant of God, who is out there testing mankind. He does God's will. It is God who does both good and evil deeds, not Satan. It was God who sent evil spirits against King Saul to make him paranoid and jealous of David; Satan didn't command the evil spirits.

In older OT writings, Satan wasn't mentioned at all, except through intepretation. Satan make no appearance in writing until the time of Exile in Babylon and their returns.

In the New Testament, there seemed to be a more Zoroastrian change to religious thinking - of good versus evil. The Zoroastrian dualism is not as noticable in OT books as they are in the pre-Christian Talmud and in the Old Testament Apocrypha and Pseudepigrapha, which would have inevitably influenced the New Testament writings.

To me, Satan didn't choose evil at all. I think it is later writers who chose to characterise Satan to be evil.

Take the Greek mythology of the hero Odysseus for example. To Homer, Odysseus was a very brave and resourceful warrior. But several centuries later, other writers concentrate some of his characteristics, to make him less likeable. He became increasingly Machiavellian. Odysseus became a greedy and cowardly character by the time of Hellenistic and Roman literature.

The hero Gawain in the Arthurian legend had undergone the same changes as Odysseus. He was the ideal knight in the beginning, in which all other knights were measured against. But with the arrival of first Lancelot, and then Galahad, Gawain became less brave, and more cowardly, until he was reduce to simply nothing more than a murderer.

Arthur had also went through such change. In early literature, like Geoffrey of Monmouth's and the Welsh story of Culhwch and Olwen, Arthur was a heroic character, but he became less heroic as new writers take up the stories. Arthur no longer adventurous character, and more like a real king, who has royal duties, so he can't go out for an adventure.

Given enough time, time will change any character in one direction or another, often to "exaggerated" level.