• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If science can't explain it,,,,

If science can't explain it, does it mean it isn't real, didn't happen, or isn't possible?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 42 100.0%

• Total voters

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Morality is done in individual brains and we know this from brain scans done in a scientific manner. Did I get it right?

Yes, here is a simple example as per the verb "see" in 2 different usage:

I see a cat. (to perceive by the eye)
I see that you did something wrong. (to be aware of)

In the 2nd one aware is a feeling in you. That is what you can find using brain scans.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
paarsurrey said:
Mathematics is the mother of Science. Right?
Is it real, please?
Could we at least agree that mathematics deals with abstraction whereas science attempts to study the natural world, which is concrete?

This is the major difference between the formal sciences and the natural sciences.

Personally, I hold to the idea that math is a product of our mind's cognitive apparatus and is a trustworthy tool for approximating reality, but it is not necessarily real in and of itself.
" science attempts to study the natural world "

Has Science defined the natural word "Nature", please?
Science has no business to define "Nature", right?

Regards

Watchmen

Premium Member
So a religious zealot walks into a bar to debate science. The bartender says…

Complete the joke.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
paarsurrey said:
Is it real, please?

Science and or Scientific Method is useful to solve the physical and material problems of the humanity but out of its limits, it utterly fails and it must fail. Right?

Regards

RestlessSoul

IMO

A lot.

Yes, we are still instinctual and emotional animals, but our understanding of ourselves and the cosmos has increased dramatically.

I am not familiar with the details of pre-European Australian Aboriginal culture. I think you are implying that this culture was in equilibrium with nature and to your mind, in a preferred way. I will venture to guess that most of what shaped and preserved that equilibrium was isolation and small population size.

As for this culture being disrupted, that event was inevitable. The only constant in life, and the cosmos, is change. Theirs was not the first to be disrupted. It is a pattern repeated throughout recorded history.

I am curious if it is your position that it would have been ideal if some sort of “Prime Directive” had been in place whereby the peoples of Australia remained isolated and untouched from the rest of the world. How long should such isolation be maintained? To what purpose? I am not advocating the taking of their land mind you, simply the issue of exposure to another culture with an increased understanding of how the world works, including technology and medicine. Should a child born into an Aboriginal culture be made to stay unaware of what others are learning and sharing about the world?

Just interested in what your position might be.

Do you know what Cook’s ship, the Endeavour, was doing in the South Pacific, just before making contact with the coast of Australia? It was there as part of a project co-ordinated by the Royal Naval college at Greenwich, to observe the progress of the planet Neptune across the face of the sun. Similar measurements were taken from various points around the globe, and when fed back to Greenwich, scientists at the RN college were able to calculate the distance of the earth from the sun, with remarkable accuracy. This was in the 18th century, before the industrial revolution, before railways and steam power, long before electricity and telephones. That represents an extraordinary vindication of the spirit and method of post enlightenment European scientific enquiry.

But my position, since you ask, is as follows: Whilst it is undeniable that the voyage of discovery undertaken by western scientific minds has gathered much information about the natural world, there remains in my mind this nagging question; why do we assume that the knowledge thus acquired, has more value, more wisdom, or more profundity than the knowledge of the natural world already held in common by the ancient civilisation Cook and his crew encountered in the continent we now call Australia?

Maybe in your world view, ancient cultures have nothing to teach we enlightened, educated moderns; that is not my view, and I would point to ancient scripture from The Bible to the Bhagavad Gita, The Tibetan Book of the Dead, the Dhammapada and the Tao te Ching as evidence in support of this position. The thing is with evidence though, you have to know how to interpret it in order to make sense of it.

MikeF

Premium Member
IMO

Thanks for your response.

western scientific minds has ...

You are not alone in making this kind of distinction, however, to my mind, I do not make such distinctions. We are simply talking about humans minds, the whole corpus of human thought.

Maybe in your world view, ancient cultures have nothing to teach we enlightened, educated moderns; that is not my view, and I would point to ancient scripture from The Bible to the Bhagavad Gita, The Tibetan Book of the Dead, the Dhammapada and the Tao te Ching as evidence in support of this position.

From my perspective, knowledge is reasoned expectation based on experience. Knowledge is not static, but rather, it grows and becomes more detailed as we gain experience. With the advent of complex language, and later written language, knowledge (or experience) is passed along from generation to generation. What we know and think today incorporates what has been learned and experience throughout recorded history. Every one of us, from East, West, North, or South, all hail from ancient peoples and culture. In my case it would be the British Isles, predominantly Ireland. These ancient beginnings are the foundation upon which we have been building.

The thing is with evidence though, you have to know how to interpret it in order to make sense of it.

It is not only the manner in which one interprets evidence, as you seem to suggest, but rather, that all of the evidence is always considered when one interprets. And we certainly should not rely on our personal interpretation, as we human beings are notoriously fallible creatures. The mechanism used to interpret the evidence must acknowledge individual fallibility and actively mitigate it.

That's my perspective, anyway. :)

I will use one of my discoveries.

We can perceive the present of the universe only. No exceptions.

I didn't need any mathematics but a simple home experiment to prove the greater law of physics ever discovered is accurate and valid over any theory, because this is a law.

After this law of physics which involved the entire universe, its observation and tests of any kind, it also discards light as equal to time and similar theoretical stuff full of vain formulas and equations.

If I was to use mathematics, such should be a waste of time.

I can turn down relativity claims with simple reviews of its doctrines, and if you want to use mathematics I can do the same using simple additions and subtractions, lol.

Brian2

Veteran Member
Today is understood that evolution and big bang are not science.

Interesting statement that won't get much support here. But of course they are things that have not been observed (even though small changes in life have been observed) and cannot be tested. They are answers that the evidence seems to point to, and evolution of course does not mean no creation.

Ella S.

*temp banned*
paarsurrey said:
Is it real, please?

Regards

Part of science is methodological naturalism, which deals with the world observable to our senses. That's what's meant when we say that science studies the natural world.

There are other uses of this term, too, but I do not see how they are relevant.

Ella S.

*temp banned*
Science and or Scientific Method is useful to solve the physical and material problems of the humanity but out of its limits, it utterly fails and it must fail. Right?

Regards

I do not think that science solves any problems. Problem-solving is usually the domain of engineering, although the two do frequently overlap.

Science also does not deal with abstractions. It deals only with what exists concretely, and with cause-and-effect. Anything which claims the existence of a thing or a causative correlation between things falls under the domain of science.

Abstractions are left to non-scientific fields like logic, mathematics, statistics, and philosophical schools like theology, aesthetics, metaphysics, linguistics, etc.