• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If Jesus was God, explain this verse...

omega2xx

Genesis 1:26, 'stresses' it? God says, "Let us"..... That's stressing it? Come on. If anything, it shows distinction. God was talking to somebody else, not Himself.

Not when teh noun is singular. Of courwse he was taling to someone else the 2 that is included n the plural ending, but they are part of the singular noun.

You've never said to a friend, "Let us go somewhere"?

Irrelevant.

Regarding John 1:1 (and vs. 2).....
Revised Standard reads: “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God.” (KJ, Douay, JB, NAB use similar wording.)

What does "was God " tell us?

However, The BibleAn American Translation (1935), by J. M. Powis Smith and Edgar J. Goodspeed reads: “the Word was divine”; Moffat, “the Logos was divine”; The New Testament in an Improved Version (1808), published in London, “the word was a god.” In his German translation Ludwig Thimme expresses it in this way: “God of a sort the Word was.”

All the good translation today say "was God." Don't try to make your point with faulty translations.

Now, look at the context. Which translation of John 1:1-2 agrees with it? John 1:18 says: “No one has ever seen God.” John 1:14 clearly says that “the Word became flesh and dwelt among us . . . we have beheld his glory.” Also, vss.1 &2 say that in the beginning he was “with God.” Can one be with someone and at the same time be that person? At John 17:3, Jesus addresses the Father as “the only true God”; so, Jesus as “a god” merely reflects his Father’s divine qualities.—Hebrews 1:3.

Jesus WAS GOD. refute that.

Is the rendering “a god” consistent with the rules of Greek grammar? Some reference books argue strongly that the Greek text must be translated, “The Word was God.” But not all agree. In his article “Qualitative Anarthrous Predicate Nouns: Mark 15:39 and John 1:1,” Philip B. Harner said that such clauses as the one in John 1:1, “with an anarthrous predicate preceding the verb, are primarily qualitative in meaning. They indicate that the logos has the nature of theos.” He suggests: “Perhaps the clause could be translated, ‘the Word had the same nature as God.’” (Journal of Biblical Literature, 1973, pp. 85, 87)

Anarthrous means teh noun(God) lacks the article

Thus, in this text, the fact that the word the·osʹ in its second occurrence is without the definite article (ho) and is placed before the verb in the sentence in Greek is significant.

The only thing significant is the meaning of anarthrous.

Interestingly, translators that insist on rendering John 1:1, “The Word was God,” do not hesitate to use the indefinite article (a, an) in their rendering of other passages where a singular anarthrous predicate noun occurs before the verb. Thus at John 6:70, The Jerusalem Bible and King James both refer to Judas Iscariot as “a devil,” and at John 9:17 they describe Jesus as “a prophet.”

That is because the nouns are not anarthrous.

Noted scholar & highly respected Roman Catholic priest John J. McKenzie, S.J., in his Dictionary of the Bible, says: “Jn 1:1 should rigorously be translated ‘the word was with the God [= the Father], and the word was a divine being.’”—(Brackets are his. Published with nihil obstat and imprimatur.) (New York, 1965), p. 317. (Bold type is mine.)

First of all, ad truly diving being would be a God. Second the scholars who do Bible translation are far better scholars than priest.

Referring to the Word (who became Jesus Christ) as “a god” is consistent with the use of that term in the rest of the Scriptures. For example, at Psalms 82:1-6 human judges in Israel were referred to as “gods” (Hebrew, ’elo·himʹ; Greek, the·oiʹ, at John 10:34) because they were representatives of Yahweh and were to speak his law.

Not if the noun is anarthous as you have stated. It is obvious that angels are not the subjec of Genesis 1:26. They have no creative ability., and God spoke the universe and all that is in it. He did not need angels.

rharris001

From a "Scriptures only" standpoint: If Jesus was/is God, then Jesus' own words at John 1:18 would have to be explained. He said that "no one has seen God at any time." Yet, men and women have seen him. Spoke with him. Ate with him. Were taught by him. 1 Timothy 6:16 says the same thing: "He alone is immortal and dwells in unapproachable light. No one has ever seen Him, nor can anyone see Him."

Additionally, God is immortal according to 1 Tim 6:16; meaning he had no beginning and has no ending. He cannot die. Yet, we are told at Rev 3:14 that Jesus had a beginning, he was created. Also, Jesus died. (See Col 1:15)

I also find it interesting that Jesus never said he was God. In fact, he asked his closest companions a question all claiming to follow him should seriously consider. Jesus asked his disciples at Matthew 16:15: "Who do you say I am?" How did Peter answer and how did Jesus reply to Peter? Did Jesus say Peter was mistaken in his answer? No!

Peter answered Jesus' question by saying at Matt 16:16: “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.”

Peter did not answer Jesus by saying that he was God. Those disciples back then personally taught by Jesus knew better. They knew who he was. They knew that he was NOT God, but was the Son of God.

How did Jesus rely back to Peter? “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but by my Father in heaven."

So, what was revealed? The truth about who Jesus was and is: The Son of God. NOT God.

Another disciple - an Apostle and Chosen One, John - said at John 20:31 that everything he wrote down in his writings was so that people "might believe" that Jesus is the Son of God." (NOT God).

"But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name."

What we are experiencing today coming out of an impostor religious system called Christianity, is an antichrist (teaches opposite of Christ) spirit that prefers to teach lies rather than truth about God and Christ. It makes up doctrine - such as the Trinity - and pushed it off as godly and holy when it is poison.

Jesus foretold that this would happen and he spoke of the coming of many claiming to follow him, but he would declare that he NEVER knew them. If they knew him, they would not dishonor the one God - Jesus' God too - by making Jesus god to. (Matt 7:21-23 and Matt 24:4-5)

If Jesus ask the same question to the many who believe he is God that he asked his disciples at Matt 16:15: "Who do YOU say I am?" I wonder how they would answer him.

If they answer him by saying "God" then it clear that Jesus WOULD NOT reply as he did to Peter at Matt 16:16.

Yet, they are stubborn and love the lie over the truth.

What I find interesting is that they act like what Jesus said was never said. They ignore what Jesus said or give a long dissertation think that their many empty words justify making Jesus something he never claimed to be.

Above all, they dishonor the Father who alone is God.

1 Cor 11:3 clearly shows the hierarchy. Above Christ is God. "But I want you to realize that the head of every man is Christ, and the head of the woman is man,and the head of Christ is God."

Lastly, 1 Cor 8:6 establishes that there is ONE God (not three) and ONE Lord. This scripture even identifies who is God and who is Lord.

"Yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom all things came and for whom we live; and there is but one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things came and through whom we live."

God has no age. Jesus was an infant, a boy, and then a man. Neither is God flesh and blood, but an invisible spirit. (John 4:23-24 and Col 1:15)

Jesus was not a spirit. He was flesh and blood.

What is called Christianity is NOT from God. It is an impostor that has misled millions and continues to do so. It has dishonored the One God and His Son. Christ would say to them, "I NEVER knew you." Why? Because Christianity does not even know who he is. They say he is God.

Everyone (even the Devil) knows who Jesus is: The Son of God. (Read the temptation story at Matt Chapter 4). God calls Jesus His Son. His disciples acknowledge that he is Gods Son.

Yet, here comes Christianity teaching something completely contrary to what Jesus taught and what God has said about the identity of his son.

Something is terribly wrong.

Personally, I would run away and stay away from such lying teaching.

moorea944

From a "Scriptures only" standpoint: If Jesus was/is God, then Jesus' own words at John 1:18 would have to be explained. He said that "no one has seen God at any time." Yet, men and women have seen him. Spoke with him. Ate with him. Were taught by him. 1 Timothy 6:16 says the same thing: "He alone is immortal and dwells in unapproachable light. No one has ever seen Him, nor can anyone see Him."

Additionally, God is immortal according to 1 Tim 6:16; meaning he had no beginning and has no ending. He cannot die. Yet, we are told at Rev 3:14 that Jesus had a beginning, he was created. Also, Jesus died. (See Col 1:15)

I also find it interesting that Jesus never said he was God. In fact, he asked his closest companions a question all claiming to follow him should seriously consider. Jesus asked his disciples at Matthew 16:15: "Who do you say I am?" How did Peter answer and how did Jesus reply to Peter? Did Jesus say Peter was mistaken in his answer? No!

Peter answered Jesus' question by saying at Matt 16:16: “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.”

Peter did not answer Jesus by saying that he was God. Those disciples back then personally taught by Jesus knew better. They knew who he was. They knew that he was NOT God, but was the Son of God.

How did Jesus rely back to Peter? “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but by my Father in heaven."

So, what was revealed? The truth about who Jesus was and is: The Son of God. NOT God.

Another disciple - an Apostle and Chosen One, John - said at John 20:31 that everything he wrote down in his writings was so that people "might believe" that Jesus is the Son of God." (NOT God).

"But these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name."

What we are experiencing today coming out of an impostor religious system called Christianity, is an antichrist (teaches opposite of Christ) spirit that prefers to teach lies rather than truth about God and Christ. It makes up doctrine - such as the Trinity - and pushed it off as godly and holy when it is poison.

Jesus foretold that this would happen and he spoke of the coming of many claiming to follow him, but he would declare that he NEVER knew them. If they knew him, they would not dishonor the one God - Jesus' God too - by making Jesus god to. (Matt 7:21-23 and Matt 24:4-5)

If Jesus ask the same question to the many who believe he is God that he asked his disciples at Matt 16:15: "Who do YOU say I am?" I wonder how they would answer him.

If they answer him by saying "God" then it clear that Jesus WOULD NOT reply as he did to Peter at Matt 16:16.

What I find interesting is that they act like what Jesus said was never said. They ignore what Jesus said or give a long dissertation think that their many empty words justify making Jesus something he never claimed to be.

1 Cor 11:3 clearly shows the hierarchy. Above Christ is God. "But I want you to realize that the head of every man is Christ, and the head of the woman is man,and the head of Christ is God."

Lastly, 1 Cor 8:6 establishes that there is ONE God (not three) and ONE Lord. This scripture even identifies who is God and who is Lord.

"Yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom all things came and for whom we live; and there is but one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things came and through whom we live."

God has no age. Jesus was an infant, a boy, and then a man. Neither is God flesh and blood, but an invisible spirit. (John 4:23-24 and Col 1:15)

What is called Christianity is NOT from God. It is an impostor that has misled millions and continues to do so. It has dishonored the One God and His Son. Christ would say to them, "I NEVER knew you." Why? Because Christianity does not even know who he is. They say he is God.

Everyone (even the Devil) knows who Jesus is: The Son of God. (Read the temptation story at Matt Chapter 4). God calls Jesus His Son. His disciples acknowledge that he is Gods Son.

Yet, here comes Christianity teaching something completely contrary to what Jesus taught and what God has said about the identity of his son.

Wow, loved your post!! Something that I would like to add too. If Jesus was God and co-equal, then why role playing the father and son thing. ..... Why couldn't Jesus just come to earth as God or a God. Why going through all of that growing up and birth if Jesus is the same as his father.

Plus, wouldn't that disrespect Jesus if he really was co-equal? I mean being told that your going to be second to God and your going to play the role of the son and not the father. Maybe Jesus wanted to be the father instead... Just doesn't make sense!!!

But anyhow. God the son is not in scripture and God the Holy Spirit is not in the bible. Everyone called Jesus a man and everyone knew that he was the "son of God", not God the son, ughhhh...... So... why is our messiah a man and not a God? He had to be like us, he had to conquer sin and sin in the flesh. If he was God, that wouldn't even apply. Wasn't Moses told that the Messiah would be a prophet like him that would be "raised up"? What was David told in 2 Sam 7? Why does Jesus tell us that he is from the seed of David? Interesting...

Great post though, thanks!!!

omega2xx

The 2 verses you quoted are not speaking of the likeness of God, which is visible. They are speaking of the image of God which is invisible. By faith Moses say Him who is unseen--Heb 11:27.

To understand verses like that it is necessary to separate Jesus from Christ. IMO it is impossible for man to understand how Jesus was 100% God and at the same time 100% man. It can only be accepted by faith alone. Many spiritual truths can't be understood.
During His incarnation Jesus did not have His Godly powers(Phil 2:7). He was not omnipotent, omniscient nor omnipresent. He had to live just like we do---Heb 2:17. God can't be tgempted but Jesus was. God can't experience fear, hunger, being tired, and many more things men can, but Jesus experienced them all.

Jesus did say He was God in Jn 10:30. "one" in that verse means "one essence." Even if you don't accept that, the Bible says Jesus was God. Do you not believe that?

At that time Jesus was the Son of God, but Jesus is the Christ, and Christ is co-equal with God,

He was both. Peter, like us, only had limited knowledge.

Evidently you do not accept the Trinity. That is the only way that verse can be understood.

What we are experiencing today is that some religious people have not done the study of God's word enough to understand it.

Those who claim Jesus was not God in spire of the Bible clearly saying He was, are the ones dishonoring God.

That is one I can't explain away with Scripture, but just one of the verses I must accept by faith and that is does not reject that Jesus is God and Christ. I am no t willing to reject all of the verses I understand for one I do not understand.

The doctrine of the trinity DOES NOT teach 3 Gods---It is ONE God in 3 persons.

If Christianity is wrong, what denomination is right, if any?

chinu

chinu
Matthew 4:1 Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil.

If Jesus was God, why was he tempted by the Devil? Can God be tempted by the Devil, his own creation?

Granted, he passed the test. But if he was God... Why was there a test in the first place? Does God need to test himself?

Are God and Jesus really one in the same? Please answer logically how this is possible given the verse above.
It was a first day of new officer in his office.
The peon who use stand outside the office didn't made a salute because he was unaware that now this new officer has taken place of that old officer.
But, the next day he didn't made that mistake because now he was familiar with the new situation. :)

rharris001

Wow, loved your post!! Something that I would like to add too. If Jesus was God and co-equal, then why role playing the father and son thing. ..... Why couldn't Jesus just come to earth as God or a God. Why going through all of that growing up and birth if Jesus is the same as his father.

Plus, wouldn't that disrespect Jesus if he really was co-equal? I mean being told that your going to be second to God and your going to play the role of the son and not the father. Maybe Jesus wanted to be the father instead... Just doesn't make sense!!!

But anyhow. God the son is not in scripture and God the Holy Spirit is not in the bible. Everyone called Jesus a man and everyone knew that he was the "son of God", not God the son, ughhhh...... So... why is our messiah a man and not a God? He had to be like us, he had to conquer sin and sin in the flesh. If he was God, that wouldn't even apply. Wasn't Moses told that the Messiah would be a prophet like him that would be "raised up"? What was David told in 2 Sam 7? Why does Jesus tell us that he is from the seed of David? Interesting...

Great post though, thanks!!!

Thanks for the addition. Something else those who believe Jesus is God should consider: God is all knowing. Yet, at Matthew 24:36 Jesus shows that there are things that even he does not know. Plus, Jesus said that "The Father is Greater than I." (John 14:28)

So Jesus is not equal to the Father. :)

moorea944

Thanks for the addition. Something else those who believe Jesus is God should consider: God is all knowing. Yet, at Matthew 24:36 Jesus shows that there are things that even he does not know. Plus, Jesus said that "The Father is Greater than I." (John 14:28)

Absolutely!! I totally agree!!

omega2xx

According to Jn 1:1, Jesus IS God. However during His incarnation, He emptied Himself of the qualities of God(Phip 2:7), which included not being omniscient during His time on earth.

whirlingmerc

Jesus was God and fully God in nature but took on an additional nature, a human nature.
In his unfilled human nature he could be tempted but did not give in.

Jesus in the dessert was analogous to Adam in the garden. Adam had other food in a garden and was not alone was covertly tempted by Satan and failed.... Jesus fasted 40 days in a dessert with wild animals and overtly tempted various ways by Satan and was victorious

Jesus was fully God and fully man so in John 2 could say he would die (in his humanity) but he would raise himself from the dead (in his divinity)

The Psalms speak of Jesus as the good shepherd who lays down his life for the sheep, the King

moorea944

Jesus was God and fully God in nature but took on an additional nature, a human nature.
In his unfilled human nature he could be tempted but did not give in.

Jesus in the dessert was analogous to Adam in the garden. Adam had other food in a garden and was not alone was covertly tempted by Satan and failed.... Jesus fasted 40 days in a dessert with wild animals and overtly tempted various ways by Satan and was victorious

Jesus was fully God and fully man so in John 2 could say he would die (in his humanity) but he would raise himself from the dead (in his divinity)

The Psalms speak of Jesus as the good shepherd who lays down his life for the sheep, the King

Ok, a few things I see wrong with this. Your saying that Jesus was fully God and fully man at the same time. Are you serious? Is there a verse that actually says that? So he was immortal and mortal at the same time? Is this something that you really want to believe? That totally degrades our Creator!!

Plus, you say that Jesus raised himself up... if someone is dead, how can he raise himself up? Plus, doesnt scripture tell us that God raised up Jesus? Something to think about, eh? And that is the problem with the trinity. They make the bible fit into their beliefs....

Bible tells us that there is only one God, why are you telling us that there are two Gods?..... I'm sorry, three Gods. I think, I don't know, what are you saying?....

Romans 1 tells us that Christ was made from the seed of David.

1 Cor 15 For since one man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead.

Heb 2 For truly he did not take on the nature of angels (immortal), but he took on him the seed of Abraham.

Romans 8 ...... and joint heirs with Christ......

Jesus is a co-inheritor of God with us. One cannot inherit himself, as would be the case if we accepted the concept of the trinity. We inherit God, as Jesus already has. Jesus was raised from his cursed human nature to the blessed spirit nature of the Creator, which is the hope of all true believers. Jesus was the first fruits. He paved the way. He became the door for our entry. Jesus inherited the nature of his Father first, inviting us to follow.

moorea944

According to Jn 1:1, Jesus IS God. However during His incarnation, He emptied Himself of the qualities of God(Phip 2:7), which included not being omniscient during His time on earth.

John 1 is talking about God, not Jesus in verse one. Jesus IS the Word, but not in this verse. The next few verses is also talking about God, not Jesus, yet.... It's talking about the Greek word Logos.

Verse 14, now talks about God's word, His plans, and thoughts becoming real, into His son.
Read verses 1-14 again and you'll see it.

Oeste

But to answer your question.... who is the "us" or "our" in Genesis. That one is easy. It is the angels with their Creator. The angels helped GOD in creation as well as creating man. They are the "fingers" of God and the bible quotes.

Ah, so God lied???:

Thus saith the LORD, thy redeemer, and he that formed thee from the womb, I am the LORD that maketh all things; that stretcheth forth the heavens alone; that spreadeth abroad the earth by myself; (Isaiah 44:24)​

But we know it is not Jesus, because he was not born yet.

“You are not yet fifty years old,” they said to him, “and you have seen Abraham!”

“Very truly I tell you,” Jesus answered, “before Abraham was born, I am!”

At this, they picked up stones to stone him, but Jesus hid himself, slipping away from the temple grounds.
(John 8:57-59)​

Looks to me like our redeemer was around when the earth was created, and he chose his words carefully, including referring to himself as "I am".

Last edited:

omega2xx

John 1 is talking about God, not Jesus in verse one. Jesus IS the Word, but not in this verse. The next few verses is also talking about God, not Jesus, yet.... It's talking about the Greek word Logos.

Verse 14, now talks about God's word, His plans, and thoughts becoming real, into His son.
Read verses 1-14 again and you'll see it.

Jesus the Word, the Logos. v14 is the incarnation of the Word. l That is what made the written word the living Word. The living Word came to exp;lain God Jn 1:18.

In one sense you are right. Jn 1:1 is about God, but Jesus is God.

MJFlores

Matthew 4:1 Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil.

If Jesus was God, why was he tempted by the Devil? Can God be tempted by the Devil, his own creation?

Granted, he passed the test. But if he was God... Why was there a test in the first place? Does God need to test himself?

Are God and Jesus really one in the same? Please answer logically how this is possible given the verse above.

You have a good line there.
upload_2017-4-24_23-7-24.jpeg

John 20:17 New International Version (NIV)

Jesus said, “Do not hold on to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father. Go instead to my brothers and tell them, ‘I am ascending to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.’”

Jesus has a God and He is the Father.

Ben Avraham

Jesus was God and fully God in nature but took on an additional nature, a human nature. In his unfilled human nature he could be tempted but did not give in. Jesus in the dessert was analogous to Adam in the garden. Adam had other food in a garden and was not alone was covertly tempted by Satan and failed.... Jesus fasted 40 days in a dessert with wild animals and overtly tempted various ways by Satan and was victorious. Jesus was fully God and fully man so in John 2 could say he would die (in his humanity) but he would raise himself from the dead (in his divinity) The Psalms speak of Jesus as the good shepherd who lays down his life for the sheep, the King.

Okay Whirlingmerc, this time you have overdone. The Psalms are in the Tanach and, nowhere in the Tanach says nothing about Jesus. If you evidence what you say by quoting where in the Psalms any thing is said about Jesus, I'll appreciate.

Seven headed beast

Awaited One
Jesus was a charismatic speaker but denied being tue son of god. Pilate warned jesus and jesus promptly retired and became a fisherman.

The tollowers say the profitably of telling there story to people and the bigger the man the biggervthe money
Before youvknew it yhey had him walking on water and raising the dead.

Theres one notion that people need to consider as the lynchpin and thats the the messiah is got to be house of david. Jesus was house of jesher.

The Old Man is house of David or Iksuvaku. Which means "sugar cane". Either way, its the same dynasty.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

I disagree completely in as much as he came as a man and you are equating his appearance as a man as when he was the word.

If we are going to quote Jesus then:

John 17:5 Now, Father, bring me into the glory we shared before the world began. NLT

Isaiah 42:8 “I am the Lord; that is my name! I will not give my glory to anyone else, nor share my praise with carved idols.

Obviously The Word was God.

Well, this is a good question. I'm Catholic and we believe Jesus is the Son of God and I, from experience, know he is the Son of God. But just like our children are from us but different from us, he is also God like God because he is from God. We, as Catholics, have the Holy Spirit which we get from Jesus Christ and the reason we can get the Holy Spirit from Jesus Christ is because he is also the Holy Spirit. That is what we call the Trinity: the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

As for the logic of the Devil tempting Jesus Christ, anyone who has strong Faith is tempted because the tempter is cynical. "If you have so much power why don't you take of the World." The Faithful reply, "why would I want to rule over a clod of dirt and sinful people when a place of perfection called Heaven awaits?"

jtartar

Aamer,
You have a certain insight that most do not have. To me the Trinity is blasphemy, both to God and Jesus. Just imagine Jesus, who was created by God, Jehovah, who was his Father, listening to these blasphemous lies, and God being Almighty, and Immortal, cannot die!!!
There are numerous Scriptures that prove that Jesus is the son of God, not the One and only God, John 17:3.
There are several Scriptures that make Trinity impossible, where God is sitting on His throne and Jesus is brought in before Him, Daniel 7:13,14, Revelation 5:6-8. Also, could they be the same person, when one is in heaven, and is talking to the other one on earth?? Matthew 3:16,17, Mark 9:2-7, John 12:26-28. What about John 20:17, Hebrews 1:1-3, 2:9,10, 5:7-10. Maybe, instead of having one body and three heads, Trinity, the godhead is tricorporal, one head and three bodies. Laughable!!!