• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If God is love

kashmir

Hello and welcome to my discussion and please do not disrespect others, thank you.

When we think about those leading down the wrong path, we tend to not blame God for their failures, correct?
What about those born with devastating terminal illnesses like cancer?
Millions die every year due to so many diseases, correct?

How is God love, may I ask?

Subhankar Zac

Hare Krishna,Hare Krishna,
God is pure hatred and pure Love at the same time.
Giving love to those who do not deserve it is an act of someone of severely less intelligence, not God.
When he sits as Brahma, he creates.
When he sits as NARAYANA, he maintains all the universe.
When he sits as Shiva he destroys.
When he sits as Saraswati, he enlightens.
When he sits as goddess Lakshmi, he gives prosperity.
When he sits as Kali, he shows pure wrath.

Some idiots see what they wish to see. If everything is created by God, yet God should be given the credits of love only?
That's stupid.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Hello and welcome to my discussion and please do not disrespect others, thank you.

When we think about those leading down the wrong path, we tend to not blame God for their failures, correct?
What about those born with devastating terminal illnesses like cancer?
Millions die every year due to so many diseases, correct?

How is God love, may I ask?
I think to understand the answer to the 'Problem of Evil' we need to start thinking in more eastern ways.

1) That we live for eons in a soul developing process; not one body's duration. In that perspective any suffering in one life is short and temporary in this grander view. And even an unfortunate life and death has lessons for that soul and for those seeing and interacting with the unfortunate life.

2) That such things are not as random as they appear. There is chain of cause and effect through time we can not see.

3) That those currently living an unfortunate life will have victory 'enlightenment' at the end of the challenges.

kashmir

God is pure hatred and pure Love at the same time.
Giving love to those who do not deserve it is an act of someone of severely less intelligence, not God.
When he sits as Brahma, he creates.
When he sits as NARAYANA, he maintains all the universe.
When he sits as Shiva he destroys.
When he sits as Saraswati, he enlightens.
When he sits as goddess Lakshmi, he gives prosperity.
When he sits as Kali, he shows pure wrath.

Some idiots see what they wish to see. If everything is created by God, yet God should be given the credits of love only?
That's stupid.
God created cancer that kills millions?

kashmir

I think to understand the answer to the 'Problem of Evil' we need to start thinking in more eastern ways.

1) That we live for eons in a soul developing process; not one body's duration. In that perspective any suffering in one life is short and temporary in this grander view. And even an unfortunate life and death has lessons for that soul and for those seeing and interacting with the unfortunate life.

2) That such things are not as random as they appear. There is chain of cause and effect through time we can not see.

3) That those currently living an unfortunate life will have victory 'enlightenment' at the end of the challenges.
That still does not answer my concerns that how can a loving God let millions suffer and die?

Subhankar Zac

God created cancer that kills millions?

Of course he did! He himself kills living beings everywhere and he must.
At the same time, no living entity can be killed as the essence of every living entity is immortal and beginningless.
Ego and ignorance, makes people avtislky believe in a concept like death as real.

Subhankar Zac

That still does not answer my concerns that how can a loving God let millions suffer and die?

The western idea of God is the most meager of all. According to that logic, loving God is a myth.
Try to go a little deeper of stick to Abrahamic religions DIR only.

kashmir

Of course he did! He himself kills living beings everywhere and he must.
At the same time, no living entity can be killed as the essence of every living entity is immortal and beginningless.
Ego and ignorance, makes people avtislky believe in a concept like death as real.
sad but true

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Well I actually had a #4 on that list but I left it out for simplicity but I should have included it. This point will need some understanding of the eastern non-dualist (God and creation are not-two) philosophy.

4) That it is God at the core of everything and it is He who experiences the temporary good and bad fortunes. It is ultimately not Him imposing it on other separate beings. It is His play/drama where He separates Himself from Himself and returns Himself to Himself but this play ends with a happy ending for all. In any great play/drama there is always drama/suffering in the middle.

kashmir

Well I actually had a #4 on that list but I left it out for simplicity but I should have included it. This point will need some understanding of the eastern non-dualist (God and creation are not-two) philosophy.

4) That it is God at the core of everything and it is He who experiences the temporary good and bad fortunes. It is ultimately not Him imposing it on other separate beings. It is His play/drama where He separates Himself from Himself and returns Himself to Himself but this play ends with a happy ending for all. In any great play/drama there is always drama/suffering in the middle.
easier said than done :-(

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
God is love when that god is Eros? Or other assorted gods that are basically personifications of various aspects of love? :D

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
The Lord is pure sattva; divine goodness; Sat-Cit-Ananda; Existence, Knowledge and Bliss. God is unable to be evil, he is pure love. What ever illness we have; whether sadness or cancer, is directly attributed to the temporary material existence, which exists sattva (goodness), Tamas, passion, and Rajas (ignorance), and our karma. Our body and mind are restless, and bad actions (eating meat, wishing a person were dead, intent to cause harm or have caused harm, whether physical or psychological) obtained by our past lives will fructify in our later lives. You may think God does nothing, but he does everything, from creating, maintaining and destroying universes from the power of his expansion, Time, to that puddle you almost slipped on but didn't.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
If there is a Supreme Being, it seems pretty obvious that it isn't pure love or whatever emotions our species wants to project outward. If I were you, I wouldn't worry about such questions because it's really a problem that only exists in your mind. "Evil" is a man-made concept in the first place.