• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If God is a spirit...

Who is the hope of America?

• John Mccain

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Barack Obama

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

Renji

If God is a spirit, does God have a butt ? Don't get me wrong, this is a philosphical question.

Renji

There is a Biblical verse stating that God, is spirit in nature. In the book of John 4:24, it says "God is a Spirit: and they that worship Him must worship Him in spirit and in truth." There are actually many sects debating on the subject "Does God have an image?"(fingers,hair,etc). Many Christian religions are confused 'bout this because on the book of Genesis, it is said that God created man after his own image. "But how can God have an image if He's a spirit?" says other religions. Now, I want to know your own views. Do HE have a body/image?

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
Lawrence
Many Christian religions are confused 'bout this because on the book of Genesis, it is said that God created man after his own image. "But how can God have an image if He's a spirit?" says other religions. Now, I want to know your own views. Do HE have a body/image?

Confused?... just check with your concordance,.. but don't expect consensus. :)

The KJV Bible with Strong's References / Definitions for Genesis 1

1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

0430 // Myhla // 'elohiym // el-o-heem' //

plural of 0433 ; TWOT - 93c; n m p

AV - God 2346, god 244, judge 5, GOD 1, goddess 2, great 2, mighty 2,
angels 1, exceeding 1, God-ward + 04136 1, godly 1; 2606

1) (plural)
1a) rulers, judges
1b) divine ones
1c) angels
1d) gods
2) (plural intensive - singular meaning)
2a) god, goddess
2b) godlike one
2c) works or special possessions of God
2d) the (true) God
2e) God

Muffled

Jesus in me
There is a Biblical verse stating that God, is spirit in nature. In the book of John 4:24, it says "God is a Spirit: and they that worship Him must worship Him in spirit and in truth." There are actually many sects debating on the subject "Does God have an image?"(fingers,hair,etc). Many Christian religions are confused 'bout this because on the book of Genesis, it is said that God created man after his own image. "But how can God have an image if He's a spirit?" says other religions. Now, I want to know your own views. Do HE have a body/image?

No and we don't either. We spend a short time in this body before moving on, so it can hardly be considered essential.

I suspect that the word used here as image has more of a meaning of concept although I don't know the Hebrew so I couldn't be sure.

We are not an exact image of God because we are finite but God is infinite. We are of the same essence, spirit but that is difficult to define.

The best definition that I can think of is invisible intelligence.

Renji

No and we don't either. We spend a short time in this body before moving on, so it can hardly be considered essential.

I suspect that the word used here as image has more of a meaning of concept although I don't know the Hebrew so I couldn't be sure.

We are not an exact image of God because we are finite but God is infinite. We are of the same essence, spirit but that is difficult to define.

The best definition that I can think of is invisible intelligence.

Good answer, Muffled:clap

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend ben_d,
your response to the post is perfect, however as have not read all these:

1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

kindly let me know, whom god was talking to? when he said: Let *us* who was the *us* with Him? am little confused here
Love & rgds

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
kindly let me know, whom god was talking to? when he said: Let *us* who was the *us* with Him? am little confused here
Love & rgds

Where the english word God is used in Genesis 1:26, the Hebrew of the original text uses Elohim and is plural in this context.

So what and who were the Elohim? Gods (certainly not God absolute in this particular context), Watchers, Angels, etc.?

There really isn't any consensus on this except within and according to certain sectarian dogmatic traditions, but my understanding is that the Elohim represent very advanced cosmic beings whom many mortals might refer to as Gods, Goddesses, Angels, ETs, etc..

Renji

Friend ben_d,

Love & rgds

I have an answer to you. It's Jesus Christ. It is shown on the Bible. Unfortunately, I have not found it this time. I'll post it as a response next time when I find it.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
If God is a spirit, does God have a butt ? Don't get me wrong, this is a philosphical question.
God is spirit, as are we. The Greek word "pneuma" is sometimes translated as "spirit" and at other times as "life." God is spirit in the sense that He is the essence of life itself. This doesn't mean that He has no physical form. A spirit can exist independently of a physical body, but it can also exist within a physical body. When we die, our spirits leave our bodies but do not cease to exist. When we are resurrected, our spirit will re-enter our newly perfected, immortal bodies. We were created in His image, after His likeness. He has an immortal body in which His spirit dwells.

The fact that the Bible specifically refers to God's "hind parts" seems to answer your question in the affirmative -- unless, of course, you want to try to pretend that it really means something entirely different from what it actually says.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Lawrence,
God encompasses not only as a spirit and butt but anything that could come into anyone's MIND.
It is something that cannot be *IMAGINED*
One only understands it when he *DROPS IT*.
Love & rgds

Renji

Friend ben_d,
your response to the post is perfect, however as have not read all these:

Love & rgds

The one whom God was talking to in this verse is Jesus Christ. Why? Let's have the Book of John 1:1-
"In the beginning, the Word existed. The Word was with God, and the Word was God." Jesus Christ is The Word (John 1:14 And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us, and we saw His glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth.) that was with God in the creation. Jesus is 100% man and 100% God.