• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If God exists, why does He allow suffering?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
It is my firm contention that “some” religious believers suffer a lot more than atheists simply because of the beliefs they have to put up with from other religious believers. So they have a choice; just be nice and pretend to share those beliefs, be nice and explain why they do not share those beliefs, or they can just do nothing with their religion and live like atheists who have no beliefs. I did the latter for 42 years but I finally decided that was hypocrisy to say I believe in God and do nothing I am supposed to be doing as a Baha’i.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
Hey there. You look troubled as if the weight of the world is upon your shoulders. Friend, do not be disheartened and know that when the chips are down and everyone abandons you, Jesus still loves you. He will carry the burden of your sins. For those who are oppressed Christ will ease your suffering. Do not be afraid or perturbed.

Many of us are familiar with such a narrative in Christianity where suffering has meaning and a remedy is offered to alleviate misery. How that kind of narrative resonates is the topic of this OP.

We all experience loss, pain and inevitably our own mortality. We all know first hand suffering exists. So if there really is a God, does that God truly care and what is God’s purpose in allowing suffering?

Do religions other than Christianity provide similar narrative or is the a substantial difference in perspective?

If there is no God, is there harm in finding comfort in stories like those in the Bible? What should be our best response as we inevitably face adversity?
As a doctor and a Baha'i how do you view the coronavirus epidemic?

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
As a doctor and a Baha'i how do you view the coronavirus epidemic?

My interest in the coronavirus is to better understand it so I can be part of an effective primary health care system that provides informed advice to the community based on scientific knowledge. I need to be able to recognise when someone has life threatening complications and take the appropriate next steps. The Baha’i Faith encourages me to turn towards science and to strive to be a better physician. The Baha’i Faith discourages me from being superstitious and making unfounded statements based on religious prejudice and bias.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
My interest in the coronavirus is to better understand it so I can be part of an effective primary health care system that provides informed advice to the community based on scientific knowledge. I need to be able to recognise when someone has life threatening complications and take the appropriate next steps. The Baha’i Faith encourages me to turn towards science and to strive to be a better physician. The Baha’i Faith discourages me from being superstitious and making unfounded statements based on religious prejudice and bias.
It's just the randomness of who it strikes it makes it hard to believe that it's part of what God planned. I know sometimes with some diseases some Christians believe that it is God's punishment. But even with Baha'is, they believe that will allow or cause the world to go through lots of trials and tribulations for having, for the most part, rejected Baha'u'llah. I would hope that God isn't behind it. But then is it just random and God is not in total control? And God allows for new viruses to just evolve kill off people randomly? Or, similar to those Christians, do Baha'is believe God is in total control, and even though we don't see the good in it now, one day we will?

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It's just the randomness of who it strikes it makes it hard to believe that it's part of what God planned. I know sometimes with some diseases some Christians believe that it is God's punishment. But even with Baha'is, they believe that will allow or cause the world to go through lots of trials and tribulations for having, for the most part, rejected Baha'u'llah. I would hope that God isn't behind it. But then is it just random and God is not in total control? And God allows for new viruses to just evolve kill off people randomly? Or, similar to those Christians, do Baha'is believe God is in total control, and even though we don't see the good in it now, one day we will?

Might be a bit like what Australia now calls the bradbury effect.

we can rest in assurance, that all that happens is not bad;

Luke 12:6-7 "Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? And not one of them is forgotten before God. Why, even the hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not; you are of more value than many sparrows."

Regards Tony

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Many of the Baha’i Writings speak about not getting attached to this life. We are here for such a short time in relation to eternity. It is our spiritual life we need to be more concerned about, not this fleeting mortal existence.
And this idea is common to many more religious traditions than just the Baha'i faith.

I personally find this to be one of the most tragic aspects of religion: the way it encourages people to dismiss the value of (AFAICT) the only life we will ever have.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I personally find this to be one of the most tragic aspects of religion: the way it encourages people to dismiss the value of (AFAICT) the only life we will ever have.

I see the opposite, it gives a person purpose to value life to the highest possible degree, it helps a person to find out what is important in life.

Regards Tony

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
And this idea is common to many more religious traditions than just the Baha'i faith.

Adrian said: Many of the Baha’i Writings speak about not getting attached to this life. We are here for such a short time in relation to eternity. It is our spiritual life we need to be more concerned about, not this fleeting mortal existence.

Of course atheists are going to view life differently, given they believe we have only one life, this life.... It is a completely different perspective. Being detached from this life,simply beans that we do not become attached to the material things this world has to offer, it does not mean we do not live life to its fullest, loving other people and all other life.

That said, it is a Baha'i teaching that we are not supposed to focus on the afterlife but rather we are to live this life with the afterlife in mind, since the purpose of this life is to prepare for the next life. Baha'u'llah wrote that one reason He did not reveal much about the afterlife is because if He had told us what the afterlife will be like, nobody would choose to remain in this world for one more minute. So I do not know what the afterlife will be like except very generally, but I know enough to know it will be better than this life, which is a dark and narrow place, a storehouse of suffering.

Of course, if people have had a fairly happy life then they might think this life is the greatest thing since sliced bread, but that has not been my experience, through no fault of my own, because I have struggled to make things better all of my adult life, ever since I realized I had psychological problems at age 31. However, there is no magic wand as some people would have you believe; there is not some happy pill one can take that does not do more harm than good.

When I woke up this morning, I had the idea for a thread I might post about how we can make changes to our lives, which might be coming soon to a theater near you. I am at a crossroads in my life and I do realize this life is important, so I do not want to waste time, since this life is short and it goes by very fast.