• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If God exists, than why its God's responsibility to prove his existence ?

InformedIgnorance

Do you 'know' or believe?
I do not believe it obtains the responsibility to demonstrate it's existence, simply because it exists (if it does).

On the other hand, if it demonstrates or does not demonstrate its existence that might tell us something of its nature. Particularly if our comprehension of its existence and/or our awareness of some aspect such as it's intentions towards us, were of relevance to us either inherently (such as being responsible for the rules that govern our existence) or consequently (such as because of such action of god - such as imposing punishment). This would likely give us the possibility of informing ourselves about some of the attributes of a god concept in a contingent fashion (enabling us to pose hypotheticals), such as:

IF: 'god' intends to reward people who wear sandals and we do not have clear indication that god exists or that god wants us to wear sandals or that this would be rewarded
THEN: if god exists god is unconcerned with increasing the likelihood of people wearing sandals

By not demonstrating it's existence such a god would facilitate our ability to do the above for any action or inaction and thus it would indicate that god is unconcerned with everything and the line of inquiry is rendered mute. 'god', by choosing not to reveal its existence does not care to increase our understanding of what it wants or to influence our actions. This means that we would have no means by which to further our knowledge of god and therefore that attempting to pursue this field of understanding is a waste of time, thus it would suggest that apatheism is the most logically sound position to take.

That would STILL not make it god's responsibility to demonstrate it's existence.

edit: actually I overstepped that point, an alternative to being unwilling to demonstrate its existence and thus unconcerned, is that it could be incapable of demonstrating it's existence and thus impotent. An oversight.

Last edited:

Thief

Rogue Theologian
And with all of the universe on display.....there is nay saying.

Picture the hour of your last breath.
You then stand from your dead body and the spiritual life begins.

The first thing coming your way would be what?

I believe in life after death.
I strongly suspect heaven has the upper hand.

Should it not be you proving yourself?

chinu

chinu
You asked for a Holy Book Christians believe the bible to be holy now I know that you may believe they are wrong but they in turn would say the same for you.

Now you can call it false but it would appear that when two sides are saying the other is wrong over theology that the simplest answer is both sides are wrong.
But this doesn't proves that holy texts says that.. God cares people to know "Him"

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
If God exists, than why do you think that its "God's" responsibility to prove "His" existence ?

Who says "god" is even capable of making choices? Maybe things like mystical experiences are as unexpected and sudden for god as they are for us.

chinu

chinu
but if the world's big religious texts are to be taken seriously (which they aren't IMO), then it is obvious that God wants to be worshipped and has a desire for humans to believe in him and follow his rules.
Holy texts never walk and go to anybody's home, and force anybody to read them, until one is interested in reading them :)

chinu

chinu
Who says "god" is even capable of making choices? Maybe things like mystical experiences are as unexpected and sudden for god as they are for us.
Friend,
My question is.. if God exists, than why its God's responsibility to prove his existence, rathar than.. why do you think that God isn't capable of making such choices. :)

chinu

chinu
Let's say I have a new car and decide to show it to my friend. When I point to an empty parking space and there was nothing there. He might ask "where is the car." I say "its right there". "I don't see it. Where is it?" he asks. "Its just there" I respond. "Well how do you know its there". "The salesman told me it was" I respond...

Simply put, before I get into the magical school bus I need to see it first.
Sorry! i didn't understood what are you trying to explain me here, can you please rephrase it ? :)

chinu

chinu
Because if there's a crowd of people who don't believe I exist, I'm the only one who can show the actuality of my existence - no pictures, no videos, nothing can prove it besides me
But its not your responsibility, it just your choice.:)
And I think God just doesn't find it necessary that God exists,
Yes, you are right that God doesn't find it necessary to prove his existance.
God just finds it necessary that we know God has a way.
I don't think so, what makes you to think that ? :)

chinu

chinu
This gets the whole question backwards. If god existed, why shouldn't its existence be as obvious to us as the earth and the stars? What reason would it have to hide itself?
Friend,
My question is.. if God exists, than why its God's responsibility to prove his existence, rathar than.. why do you think that God doesn't exist. :)

InformedIgnorance

Do you 'know' or believe?
So, you are agreed that it isn't God's responsibility to prove his existence, am i right ? please reply in order to carry on this topic. :)
Not by simply existing would 'god' have any duty to demonstrate said existence; I agree.

HOWEVER, deciding not to demonstrate that existence can tell us quite a bit about that 'god'.

Most notably that there is no point for us to devote further thought to that 'god'.

Last edited:

chinu

chinu
And with all of the universe on display.....there is nay saying.

Picture the hour of your last breath.
You then stand from your dead body and the spiritual life begins.

The first thing coming your way would be what?

I believe in life after death.
I strongly suspect heaven has the upper hand.

Should it not be you proving yourself?
Actually.. breaths are not mine, it was just an borrowed thing.

johnhanks

Friend,
My question is.. if God exists, than why its God's responsibility to prove his existence, rathar than.. why do you think that God doesn't exist. :)
You missed the point. Responsibility doesn't come into it. The real question is if god exists, what reason is there for it to be undetectable?

Shia Islam

Quran and Ahlul-Bayt a.s.
Premium Member
If God exists, than why do you think that its "God's" responsibility to prove "His" existence ?

To provide more evidences of his existence than what he already has provided would mean compelling people to believe in him. And excuse me to quote our scripture here:

There is no compulsion in religion. The right direction is henceforth distinct from error. And he who rejecteth false deities and believeth in God hath grasped a firm handhold which will never break. God is Hearer, Knower.

لا اكراه في الدين قد تبين الرشد من الغي فمن يكفر بالطاغوت ويؤمن بالله فقد استمسك بالعروة الوثقى لا انفصام لها والله سميع عليم

Quran سورة البقرة - سورة 2 - آية 256