• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If God Can Be Experienced, In What Way Do You Experience God?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Suppose god can be experienced. If so, then in what way do you experience god? Do you experience god as a feeling or emotion? Do you experience god as a voice? Do you experience god as a vision? Or do you experience god in some other way, and, if so, in what way?

Hi
God can be experienced..........Everyone will experience / remember God in the end.
You experience God through Love .... Love being "Love bourne through forgiveness" which is the closest love to heavens.
In an intense moment of Love ... you connect with LOVE and its like an infinite ocean of Love begins to pour into you.
You slowly begin to look through Love (not body eyes) and rise in this love.
All communication is instant direct / mind to mind/ there is no question and answer ...
What is then experienced is remembrance of "True Self" (God the Son) and then you enter God as his ONE Son....White rainent... and then expand out and become Infinite, sharing Gods Mind. ...... where there is only AWE ...... Unspeakable Love .... yet in a state that is remembered.
You do "see God" through the vision of Love .. the higher vision ..... Its akin to an Infinite Fire .... a fire of absolute LOVE.... yet you are both what looks and what is looked upon ... because all is shared ... all is known ... nothing is hidden ....

Please note that my words are very poor .......

illykitty

RF's pet cat
A feeling of oneness and unity, no more. Perhaps Atheists can feel this way and not attribute it to divinity but I do, since I feel it's a transcendent connection to everything. I've only realised this in the past year or so while looking at the night sky, like an intense wave hit me.

I always wonder what people mean when they say they hear, see or are guided by god(s) because it's never happened to me no matter how much I wanted it. Say for instance that X god has been with them all their lives, it never made sense to me, I don't even understand what is meant.

Honestly I don't even know what that feeling I'm getting even is.

nazz

Doubting Thomas
Suppose god can be experienced. If so, then in what way do you experience god? Do you experience god as a feeling or emotion? Do you experience god as a voice? Do you experience god as a vision? Or do you experience god in some other way, and, if so, in what way?
Primarily as a source of strength, comfort, and inspiration

Gnostic Seeker

Spiritual

I've experienced Athena in a strong feeling, and also in a fragrance. The sudden smell of incense is considered indicative of a divinity in many traditions. I've also received what I interpreted to be an omen after the historical Hellenic manner.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Hi
God can be experienced..........Everyone will experience / remember God in the end.
You experience God through Love .... Love being "Love bourne through forgiveness" which is the closest love to heavens.
In an intense moment of Love ... you connect with LOVE and its like an infinite ocean of Love begins to pour into you.
You slowly begin to look through Love (not body eyes) and rise in this love.
All communication is instant direct / mind to mind/ there is no question and answer ...
What is then experienced is remembrance of "True Self" (God the Son) and then you enter God as his ONE Son....White rainent... and then expand out and become Infinite, sharing Gods Mind. ...... where there is only AWE ...... Unspeakable Love .... yet in a state that is remembered.
You do "see God" through the vision of Love .. the higher vision ..... Its akin to an Infinite Fire .... a fire of absolute LOVE.... yet you are both what looks and what is looked upon ... because all is shared ... all is known ... nothing is hidden ....

Please note that my words are very poor .......
I'd like to thank you for your somewhat courageous reply. I certainly experienced much of what you describe above. Upon reflection, pun intended (though that is a long story), I agree with the "love born through forgiveness". At the point of Gnosis, I understood that what I had done prior to that point didn't matter in a negative sense because it all helped to bring me to that point. Likewise I was buffeted by tidal waves of ecstatic love that transcended anything I had previously imagined. It was sort of like a Sally Field moment, "You love me, you really love me!" (I digress.)

Likewise, I agree about the "true self" thingy, but tend not to get too hung up on so-called "truth". A vision of god often precedes the intuitive leap into a larger, new understanding of self. Perhaps the divinity aspect is simply to get us to appreciate the unmitigated nature of our own being as once the unity of being flowers the need for divinity wanes.

That said, with experience, I am inclined to add, "because all is shared ... all is seemingly known ... nothing seems to be hidden ..." Then again, as the flower comes to full bloom one appreciates that very little is what it seems at first glance.

I'd like to thank you for your somewhat courageous reply. I certainly experienced much of what you describe above. Upon reflection, pun intended (though that is a long story), I agree with the "love born through forgiveness". At the point of Gnosis, I understood that what I had done prior to that point didn't matter in a negative sense because it all helped to bring me to that point. Likewise I was buffeted by tidal waves of ecstatic love that transcended anything I had previously imagined. It was sort of like a Sally Field moment, "You love me, you really love me!" (I digress.)

Likewise, I agree about the "true self" thingy, but tend not to get too hung up on so-called "truth". A vision of god often precedes the intuitive leap into a larger, new understanding of self. Perhaps the divinity aspect is simply to get us to appreciate the unmitigated nature of our own being as once the unity of being flowers the need for divinity wanes.

That said, with experience, I am inclined to add, "because all is shared ... all is seemingly known ... nothing seems to be hidden ..." Then again, as the flower comes to full bloom one appreciates that very little is what it seems at first glance.

Thank you for your lovely response .....
Just wanted to ask some things as I really just brushed over with the response ..... would just be interesting to see how alike the experience was for us ....
I was lifted up in what seemed like darkness .. although that didnt matter because the love was so intense that was all that had my attention....
Then before me was a light .... perhaps like a moon with no edges .... or like a cloud .... and then you recognise this "light" like an old friend and it beckons for you to look without moving .... and then you look as as you do you join with the light ....
In the next instant you become a pillar of perfect white light .... and you look upon your SELF snd the purity and in that moment understand that all you thought you were ... you never were ..... and that you have always been this .... this perfet pure Light / Love....
(At this point did you see how we had split of into sparks of the ONE light ? )

And then before you another arc of goldn light appears as as you look upon it .... you join it and this is where your words meet mine .... the waves of love that rush through you ..... God OUR Father greeting us ..... like the prodigal Son :)

And then just this utter love peace .... equality that cannot be spoken ... many many others things .....

And then finally the idea "the others" .... aka must go back and speak this to all ..... that we are all ONE and there is only LOVE .....

Sorry rambling :)

Finally .... I suspect you might recognize the following taken from ACIM .... I appologise to all for the long passage below but hope you will excuse my indulgence.

Listen, perhaps you catch a hint of an ancient state not quite forgotten; dim, perhaps, and yet not altogether unfamiliar, like a song whose name is long forgotten; and the circumstances in which you heard completely unremembered. Not the whole song has stayed with you, but just a little wisp of melody, attached not to a person or a place or anything particular. But you remember, from just this little part, how lovely was the song, how wonderful the setting where you heard it, and how you loved those who were there and listened with you.

The notes are nothing. Yet you have kept them with you, not for themselves, but as a soft reminder of what would make you weep if you remembered how dear it was to you. You could remember, yet you are afraid, believing you would lose the world you learned since then. And yet you know that nothing in the world you learned is half so dear as this. Listen, and see if you remember an ancient song you knew so long ago and held more dear than any melody you taught yourself to cherish since.

Beyond the body, beyond the sun and stars, past everything you see and yet somehow familiar, is an arc of golden light that stretches as you look into a great and shining circle. And all the circle fills with light before your eyes. The edges of the circle disappear, and what is in it is no longer contained at all. The light expands and covers everything, extending to infinity forever shining and with no break or limit anywhere. Within it everything is joined in perfect continuity. Nor is it possible to imagine that anything could be outside, for there is nowhere that this light is not.

This is the vision of the Son of God, whom you know well. Here is the sight of him who knows his Father. Here is the memory of what you are; a part of this, with all of it within, and joined to all as surely as all is joined in you. Accept the vision that can show you this, and not the body. You know the ancient song, and know it well. Nothing will ever be as dear to you as is this ancient hymn the Son of God sings to his Father still.

And now the blind can see, for that same song they sing in honour of their Creator gives praise to them as well. The blindness that they made will not withstand the memory of this song. And they will look upon the vision of the Son of God, remembering who he is they sing of. What is a miracle but this remembering? And who is there in whom this memory lies not? The light in one awakens it in all. And when you see it in your brother, you are remembering for everyone.

chinu

chinu
I'll PM you :)

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
In my school of thought, God is the core of all beings. Our core is peace, bliss and love. So by reducing our surface desires and selfish concerns we can make our mind more calm and thereby experience more of our core (instead of surface noise). So by FEELING more love and peace I am more and more experiencing God.

godnotgod

Thou art That

The divine nature is simultaneously playing all the parts of the universe as if it were actually those things, including us, while pretending not to be the divine nature. That is why we imagine the divine nature to be something other than ourselves, an object to be sought and experienced, when we ourselves are, in reality, That, always experiencing itself, even when seeking Itself. Even the atheist is the divine nature, pretending that IT does not exist, while the believer is also the divine nature, pretending to be 'just little old me'. Frauds, every last one of them, but great actors nonetheless!

The divine nature is experiencing itself as The Ordinary, as you and I, and all the things of everyday life. It is for this reason that we fail to see it as the divine nature, overlooking it, and seeking it somewhere else, as something else, when all the while, it is right under our very noses, hiding in plain sight.

Paradox

God is not the root of contradiction, but God is the simplicity itself prior to every root.

The place wherein Thou art found unveiled is girt round with the coincidence of contradictions, and this is the wall of Paradise wherein Thou dost abide. The door whereof is guarded by the most proud spirit of Reason, and, unless he be vanquished, the way in will not lie open.
Nicholas of Cusa

Every creature denies it is the other. But God is the denier of denials.
Meister Eckhart

Negate negation.
Lord Buddha

Last edited:

Muffled

Jesus in me
My first experience with God was non oral but verbal conversation in my mind. My second experience was of a soft white light surrounding me in my mind filled with peace and joy. Jesus also spoke to me giving me a message about love. I have had Jesus teach me all night in a dream state. I have been given visions, speaking in tongues, slaying in the spirit (loss of consciousness because the mind couldn't handle the power), prophesy fulfilled and the realization that God has taken over my mind to speak through me.

Brickjectivity

Brick Block
Staff member
Premium Member
Suppose God is infinitely big, invisible, infinitely powerful, infinitely more of everything than anything we know. Infinitely sexual. Infinitely asexual. Infinitely detailed. I don't think you or I could experience that. We are just too limited. We are like paper people compared to that, but if there is God then God must be all of those things I mentioned. How do you experience the ocean? A little at a time. What about an infinite ocean? I guess you'd experience that nothing at a time, relative to its entirety.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Simple question....not easy to answer.....

When I look to the stars.
When I do martial arts.
When I weld and see the steel melt under a blue light.
When that meteor passed overhead, close enough to see the multicolored flame.
When the cottonwood trees fill the air with seeds.
When the lightning bugs hatch and they number in the thousands.
When the car accident hurt so bad I felt no pain for an hour.

When I hold my loved ones.

When I consider my pending last breath.

I rarely pray anymore.
I don't need to.

Suppose God is infinitely big, invisible, infinitely powerful, infinitely more of everything than anything we know. Infinitely sexual. Infinitely asexual. Infinitely detailed. I don't think you or I could experience that. We are just too limited. We are like paper people compared to that, but if there is God then God must be all of those things I mentioned. How do you experience the ocean? A little at a time. What about an infinite ocean? I guess you'd experience that nothing at a time, relative to its entirety.

Nice points ..... In order to experience an Infinite God ... You have to become Infinite your Self.
To experience the Infinite Ocean you have to be "the Infinite Ocean"
This is why we are told the way to God is through His Son ..... but many Religions misinterpret that and think some chaps going to turn up on a cloud and lower down a ladder .....
What it actually means is that in order to Experience God ..... You have to become Christ....... You have to Awaken to the True Self within......... Just as Jesus awakened to the True Self within Him ..... an thus became Christ...... or Buddha if you prefer ... or Krishna ... or Love.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
My first experience I saw only light. Bright, intense and endless. I felt a presence, I felt loved and cared about. The burden of ignorance was removed from me.

The light faded eventually and I found myself back in my room. I've spent my entire life trying to understand what happened in that moment.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
My first experience I saw only light. Bright, intense and endless. I felt a presence, I felt loved and cared about. The burden of ignorance was removed from me.

The light faded eventually and I found myself back in my room. I've spent my entire life trying to understand what happened in that moment.

I CAN RELATE!!!!!!

I was so much younger then....but...
I was into one of those lazy 'do nothing' summers....
I took a nap.

I then saw myself among the stars.
The Earth and I all know and love was far removed.

I felt as if I was home.

The vision ended fast....I grabbed my pillow to cover my eyes.

Since then, I have led an ordinary life but for one difference.
I now believe we are here to learn all that we can.