• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If Christianity failed in the West and we remained polytheistic, what would today be like?

Maponos

Welcome to the Opera
As the title suggest, what would our world today be like if we remained a polytheistic culture?

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
My guess is it wouldn't be that different. Economic, civil and secular power seems to be the stronger driving forces.

RedStorm

Pride and Arrogance
It would not differ too much. Instead of good old southern boys toting around bibles though it might be something else....

Corthos

Great Old One
"Y'all mother****ers need Mithras!"

mithras-01.jpg

Mithras! A man's man... errr... God! (I still have no clue what's going on here...)

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
I'm working on a novel (or series of short stories, not sure which, yet) that assumes that very thing as its premise: that the traditional polytheist traditions remained unbroken in Western Europe, leaving Christianity a fringe religion at its best, but with most other historical events either still happening, or similar things still happening. (Without all the alternate historical details being made clear; just assuming it was enough that by this same time, we have all the same technology we do, and the culture and language would be familiar enough to get around.)

I think in terms of real life (not my story), the key is whether or not Rome's legacy continued in the West. If so, things would probably look almost identical, just in a polytheist context rather than a monotheist one, and we wouldn't just be huge nerds for Greco-Roman myths; the Greco-Roman Gods would probably be the central focus of religious worship, with Celto-Germanic Gods probably regarded as "peasant/poor-people/barbarian" Gods.

Maponos

Welcome to the Opera
I'm working on a novel (or series of short stories, not sure which, yet) that assumes that very thing as its premise: that the traditional polytheist traditions remained unbroken in Western Europe, leaving Christianity a fringe religion at its best, but with most other historical events either still happening, or similar things still happening. (Without all the alternate historical details being made clear; just assuming it was enough that by this same time, we have all the same technology we do, and the culture and language would be familiar enough to get around.)

I think in terms of real life (not my story), the key is whether or not Rome's legacy continued in the West. If so, things would probably look almost identical, just in a polytheist context rather than a monotheist one, and we wouldn't just be huge nerds for Greco-Roman myths; the Greco-Roman Gods would probably be the central focus of religious worship, with Celto-Germanic Gods probably regarded as "peasant/poor-people/barbarian" Gods.
This makes me think a lot of Battlestar Galatica and Caprica. One thing I found so surreal about those two series was that they were a bit above our currently technology, but enough to be believable, but their civilization was a completely polytheistic one (well, except for the Soldiers of the One and their monotheistic cult). They'd reference the gods sometimes and, to me, it just felt so right.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Yes, it would have been more or less the same. You can guess from the state of India today. We have remained polytheists and that has not made for any big change. Only perhaps there would have been fewer wars and no holocausts. The population would have already reached 10 billion. However, wars make science progress.

Last edited:

Sees

Dragonslayer
Yes, it would have been more or less the same. You can guess from the state of India today. We have remained polytheism and that has not made for any big change. Only perhaps there would have been fewer wars and no holocausts. The population would have already reached 10 billion. However, wars make science progress.

For India imagine the Brits and Muslims had failed. :) It's very difficult to grasp the extent foreign ideologies have an effect. Politics and academia in India would be very different, I think.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
The world would be completely different. We probably would've developed space flight centuries ago, and we'd be colonizing the galaxy by now. There would not have been global cultural and physical genocide of many of the world's indigenous peoples. We would have access to vastly more knowledge and wisdom from ancient and indigenous cultures. The classical schools of the arts, philosophy, sciences, and the libraries wouldn't have been closed or destroyed, so academic knowledge would've continue to increase. Islam wouldn't have existed. The rights of women would've increased more and more. LGBT people would never have been demonized. We'd have a much more healthy view of nature (we would not be raping the planet like a commodity), the world, our bodies and our sexuality. Etc. Etc.

Last edited:

SpeaksForTheTrees

As the title suggest, what would our world today be like if we remained a polytheistic culture?
The trinity are manifestations ? Or hierarchy within heaven
The Hindus have brahman
I think mono was unavoidable progressive line of thought.
Think we would have lots more history of genocide in a world with 1000 s of Gods all claiming to be better than the other ?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Not just Islam but Zoroastrianism, Judaism and Christianity. No conquistadors. So too Bahai, Ahmadiyyas, Mormon, JWs and Raswtafarians.
Zoroastrianism is older than Christianity. In many ways, Christianity is a rip-off of Zoroastrianism. Judaism probably would've survived, but people wouldn't care so much about it and the Jews wouldn't be seen as anything special (whether negatively or positively), I think.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
The only thing I'd say for certain is to make the following observations. Religious exclusivism (aka, the one One True God/Religion thing) was, in large part, an invention of the monotheists. Additionally, decreeing that morality came from a singular deity was also, in large part, an invention of the monotheists. With the absence of these two things, it stands to reason that there would be less religious hegemony and more religious pluralism, and an absence of various nonsense like "you have no morals if you don't follow my one true religion." There would, however, still be plenty of war. Diversity and differences are breeding grounds for wars just as much as attempts at hegemony are.