• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If a tree falls down in the forest and no-one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

lamplighter

Almighty Tallest
If it is dark, and I mean no light what-so-ever dark, then it simply is no longer there.
If it cannot be seen, it isn't there.
But being matter there is nothing else that can take up that particular space in the universe whether it can be perceived by initial human senses or not, therefor it does exist as it can still interact on some level.

PureX

Veteran Member
If a tree falls down in the forest and no-one is around to hear it fall, i believe that the sound will not exist, as an interpreter is required to perceive the sound.
The air will record the shock of the fall in waves. The record will be lost, however, as no one was there to receive it.

agent_smith

I evolved.
Wow, what a silly comment...

Energy can not be created or destroyed. A tree has gravitational potential energy. When the tree falls, that energy is lost, and it MUST be converted into something. It is mostly converted into thermal (heat) energy, and partially converted into sound energy.
If no one is there to listen, that sound energy has still been created.