• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

If a tree falls down in the forest and no-one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

If a tree falls down in the forest and no-one is around to hear it fall, i believe that the sound will not exist, as an interpreter is required to perceive the sound.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Huh?
When a tree falls it causes the shock waves that are called sound.
These shock waves are there whether or not there is someone there to call it a sound or not.

I have one for you:
If a man says something and there is not a women around to hear it,
Is he still wrong?​

McBell

So a sound isn't a sound unless/until it is declared a sound?

Fluffy

A fool
No a sound isn't a sound unless it is experienced by something. It is in the same category of concepts as colour, sweet, smelly etc.

Unless of course you want to say that sound is equivalent to shock waves. Which might actually be more interesting.

Why do you assume that the unobserved functions in the same way as the observed (problem of induction)?

McBell

No a sound isn't a sound unless it is experienced by something. It is in the same category of concepts as colour, sweet, smelly etc.
So my green van is not green unless someone is looking at it?
What colour is it when no one is looking at it?

Fluffy

A fool
Mestemia said:
So my green van is not green unless someone is looking at it?
What colour is it when no one is looking at it?
There is no such thing as a green van. You have can only have a van which you perceive to be green.

I can show you a person who will view the exact same frequency of light as you are yet see a different colour (i.e. colour blindness). Why do you assume that you have the more accurate perception?

McBell

There is no such thing as a green van. You have can only have a van which you perceive to be green.

I can show you a person who will view the exact same frequency of light as you are yet see a different colour (i.e. colour blindness). Why do you assume that you have the more accurate perception?
I make no assumptions at all.
The title of my van says green.
Therefore I am not making an assumption, I am merely in agreement.
However, I cannot argue whether or not my agreement is with an assumption.

Fluffy

A fool
Mestemia said:
I make no assumptions at all.
The title of my van says green.
Therefore I am not making an assumption, I am merely in agreement.
However, I cannot argue whether or not my agreement is with an assumption.
What do you mean by your van's title?

Fluffy

A fool
Mestemia said:
The title to my van states that it is green in colour.
As does the registration.
Ah I see.

Well it is incorrect :). To be accurate, your title would need to say that your van is coated with a material that reflects light with a majority wavelength of between 520-570 nm. Some people will see this as green. Some people will see this as red. Some as yellow. Some will see it as grey.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
If a tree falls down in the forest and no-one is around to hear it fall, i believe that the sound will not exist, as an interpreter is required to perceive the sound.
Yes and no, depending on how you choose to look at it. If you adopt an objective paradigm of reality, then the sound it makes being entirely imagined is an acceptable part of reality. If you adopt an experiential paradigm, then as you said it does not exist if it's not interpreted to exist.