• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'd Like an Argument, Please

Muffled

Jesus in me
Atheism is a religion, if abstinence is a sexual position.

Whare did I hear that?

Ciao

- viole

I don't believe that is too far fetched. Atheists hold a belief in relation to whether God exists. It is a religious belief because it is a belief about God. Abstinence is a position one takes in relation to having sex.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
I don't believe that is too far fetched. Atheists hold a belief in relation to whether God exists. It is a religious belief because it is a belief about God. Abstinence is a position one takes in relation to having sex.

I think there is a difference between beliefs about religion and religious beliefs. They are not the same thing at all.

For instance, I hold beliefs about religion, but these beliefs are not religious. That would fly in the face of the definition of "religious".

And it would lead to contradictions. I could not possibly claim that I hold no belief in religious things, if my belief were religious as well.

The same is valid, of course, if we replace "religion" with "superstition", for instance. To say that holding no belief in supersticious claims is a superstition seems, prima facie, absurd.

Ciao

- viole