• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I'd Like an Argument, Please

Spockrates

Wonderer.
So I'm a Christian without a religion, as I'm unsure what denomination gets it. Thought it might be fun and I might learn something to debate some topic regarding Christianity, such as why one denomination is better than another, or why some other religion is better than Christianity in general, or why atheism why atheism is better than any religion. I'm easy. Suggest a topic of discussion.

[emoji4]

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
So I'm a Christian without a religion, as I'm unsure what denomination gets it. Thought it might be fun and I might learn something to debate some topic regarding Christianity, such as why one denomination is better than another, or why some other religion is better than Christianity in general, or why atheism why atheism is better than any religion. I'm easy. Suggest a topic of discussion.

[emoji4]
You must immediately find and lick the hand of an alpha preacher, or you are not a Christian. Once you find one who will allow it you must turn about and drop your pants, so they can mark you as their own.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

[emoji4]
I've told you once.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
It is my opinion that one should attempt to put things on his or her own words far as religion goes.

For instance, there are several competing understandings about what the role of religion is or should be.

Myself, I think it is ultimately a very personal matter and more than a little part of it involves finding ways to express yourself and your own beliefs and learn from others who may, if not share, at least understand them somewhat.

For that reason I am very much partial towards Dharmic religion and have a hard time finding the point of revelations. Since you are a Christian, may I suggest some reading about the Quakers? Their approach towards Christianism is, from what I know, a very much commendable one.

Laika

Premium Member

[emoji4]

You may want to look up Deism. It's a half way house between believing in God and using reason and evidence as a method for investigation that is one of atheism's advantages. You could also consider Christian atheism and Jesusism as well. But it is up to you.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deism
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_atheism
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesuism

There isn't an absolute boundary between Christianity and atheism as it is less a question of what you believe than how you reach those beliefs. The major difference is how they treat revelation as a source for beliefs, where as Christians accept it and atheists will either say it is unreliable or reject it.
Some atheists would say the bible is not a reliable source of information and challenge the historical existence of Jesus, but they are less common nowadays.
It is worth noting that there isn't a single belief called atheism, but several ones- making definitions of atheism very confusing (and a difficult near constant subject of debate). Deism is probably a nice belief to look at, as it uses the methods of atheism to investigate religious claims whilst still reserving the right to hold those beliefs.

Sees

Dragonslayer
Start with... should religion be approached as a cosmic quiz, better/good ones being based on how many right answers one can detect within a set of text-book, dogmatic beliefs? I think people are conditioned into seeing (and searching) religion in this way, even though it doesn't help with getting any sense of religious fulfillment. I liken it to repeatedly checking pulses in a morgue.

What really makes this or that tradition better is how it enhances lives...in my opinion. Does it open you up and move you to experience your day, your work, your relationships to the fullest capacity?

In Christianity I think it depends on the individual more than the denomination.

HonestJoe

So I'm a Christian without a religion, as I'm unsure what denomination gets it.
How do you define “being a Christian”. I’m not sure I see the point in taking the label if you’re not actually practicing any Christian denomination.

Why search for a specific denomination or religion at all though? Would it make any major difference to your fundamental beliefs or how you live your life? Why not just be a “you”?

Thief

Rogue Theologian

[emoji4]
I have no religion....I believe in God
and the Carpenter is the Inspiration

pick a parable and post as an op
that should do it!
oy!

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
How can you be satisfied worshiping only one god for your entire life? Or thinking that there is only one god, when there's so much diversity in the world? Why monotheism? And is Christianity really monotheistic (of the Abrahamic religions, it strikes me as the least genuinely monotheistic given the trinity and the plethora of saints and other semi-divine beings)?

There you go. Topic.

jonathan180iq

[emoji4]

Start with - "How do I know that God exists?"

Then, after you've spent most of your life figuring that one out (only to still be dissatisfied with your answer when you're honest with yourself) ask why this hypothetical deity would limit his creation to only one path of approach to enlightenment. Why would the creator of all things be so super specific about figuring out who/what he is?

Last edited:

Thief

Rogue Theologian
lost already.....in the scheme of life and living......
there is ONE whose will cannot be set aside
that would be the Almighty

list as many gods as you care to
the scheme of hierarchy will prevail

BSM1

What? Me worry?

[emoji4]

Everyone has to find their own truth. Don't simply settle for the truth of others. There is a difference between being a "Christian" and following the teachings of Yeshua. Be bold.

Demonslayer

Here's my question, even though you asked for an argument. I suppose we can turn it into an argument, I'm a fan of arguing.

Question is, what do you expect to get from religion? What positive thing do you expect from religion that you can't seem to get without it?

Because my list of positive things about religion is one item long: the lie of an afterlife can mitigate panic over one's eventual demise. That's it, end of list.

I still can't see anything else positive anyone would get from religion that you can't get without it. And with all the negative baggage that comes along with religion, I can't see how it's worth it. There must be better ways to deal with the idea of our finite lives that convincing ourselves there's a happy kingdom in the clouds.