• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I think it's pretty funny how scientist think they're so smart sometimes...

NewGuyOnTheBlock

Cult Survivor/Fundamentalist Pentecostal Apostate
One can reverse engineer crap like this all one wants to, but it means nothing.

Now; had someone said "Because of Leviticus 17:11, we propose that 'young blood' may propose healing or regenerative properties", set out and proved it to be true, then you might have something.

But to see experiments in science and find a correlation in the Bible, after the fact, then lament about "Man, those scientists are stupid. We knew this all along!"; Well, no, it doesn't work like that.

Besides, "for the life of the flesh is in the blood" is really self evident. Loss of blood means loss of life. People have known that since before the advent of language.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think it's pretty funny how some religious people want to believe that a verse like this shows the Biblical writers had a magical scientific knowledge thousands of years before modern science existed. In fact funny isn't the right word. Sad. That's the better word. Tragic. Foolish. Those words work as well, if not even better. The research linked to in fact does not say it is the "blood", but a protein molecule that has rejuvenating properties. It's not the plasma itself, which it would need to be if we are to imagine Leviticus magically encoded scientific information in its pages and pages of ancient ideas about things.

The whole chapter is about not eating or drinking blood, because it believed that the "life force" is literally in the blood, because when you bleed out an animal it dies. It's comparable in its misunderstanding of scientific knowledge as the joke an electronics teacher told us once, that what makes a microchip work is it is filled with magic smoke. If you apply too much voltage, you let the magic smoke out and it no longer works! :) That is exactly what is being talking about in Leviticus 11. If you cut the animal's throat, the magic smoke escapes through the blood and it no longer lives. Brilliant.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Gosh. Is the OP for real? It looks more than a bit desperate for confirmation of _some_ kind.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
'The life of the flesh is in the blood' is amazingly vague.

They (writers of the Bible) might well have observed that an individual who lost a lot of blood died, and therefore established this fact.
How can this not be a reader of this passage's first assumption? I don't get it. It's like people go so far out of their way to make a vague passage unbelievably prolific.

Looncall

How can this not be a reader of this passage's first assumption? I don't get it. It's like people go so far out of their way to make a vague passage unbelievably prolific.

I suspect they actually know their religion is nonsense but are desperately trying to shore it up.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
It is just peculiar to me that they don't see their confirmation bias shining through their reasoning.

Well, that's kind of the thing with confirmation bias and cognitive biases of all stripes. And I suspect there's a rough correlation between ability to recognize them and how often one employs them, albeit, dependent on one's sense of internal honesty and consistency.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Well, that's kind of the thing with confirmation bias and cognitive biases of all stripes. And I suspect there's a rough correlation between ability to recognize them and how often one employs them, albeit, dependent on one's sense of internal honesty and consistency.
Fair enough. I agree. I guess I am spoiled because I spent so much time studying logic years back.

Skwim

Veteran Member
It says 2 chapters later in verse 26 to not to eat flesh with blood in it. Why do you need to prolong your life when your reward after this life is heaven? It's unnecessary.

Leviticus 19:26
26 Ye shall not eat anything with the blood: neither shall ye use enchantments, nor practise augury.​

Thing is, all meat has blood in it.

"The residual blood content of lean meat is between 2 and 9 ml kg-1 muscle."
source

Please pass the biscuits.

Whiterain

Get me off of this planet
Science aren't wrong but some are foolishly ignorant or arrogant towards religion, with good cause.

I like stoical people, Just have reserve and be wise, not ignorant or arrogant in debate.

It's not all of them against The Gods it's mostly dogma more than anything.

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
Leviticus 19:26
26 Ye shall not eat anything with the blood: neither shall ye use enchantments, nor practise augury.​

Thing is, all meat has blood in it.

"The residual blood content of lean meat is between 2 and 9 ml kg-1 muscle."
source

Please pass the biscuits.
Not if you cook it. There are some meats that even Jews are allowed to eat, like steak. The Bible isn't impossible to live your life by.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Not if you cook it. There are some meats that even Jews are allowed to eat, like steak. The Bible isn't impossible to live your life by.

So, what do you think happens to the blood when it's cooked? Think it just disappears? Well, it doesn't. It quickly coagulates, changing in form from a liquid to a jell. But regardless of its form it's still blood, retaining all the constituent properties of liquid blood. Liquid blood, frozen blood, congealed blood, it's all blood.