• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I think about God all day

Demonslayer

How about that the teachings in the bible are more helpful and relevant than anything else written in relation to understanding human nature and human relations.

Can you explain to me why Lot was viewed as morally good for giving his virgin daughters away to be gang raped? I always got a kick out of that one.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I mean how is that worshiping God. Can you explain?

I didn't know what the phrase would point at.

For instance, in Islam, when you something for the sake of God, it is worship.

For example, if you are avoiding looking at women and doing this and that because God has ordered it and you decided to marry, have children and raise them in a good way, than every single step you did through out this is a worship.

If you are drinking,eating, and sleeping to make yourself stronger and ensure to be in good health to worship God, than your drinking,eating, and sleeping is a form of worship.

Reading what you wrote I can only relate to this idea. Did I get it right ?
fairly close.....

I am not given to dogmatic faith.
I have no congregation and I follow no one.

I did not place myself in this body.....I am not my own handiwork
I am free to become a spirit....as I see fit

I shall go back to God and present myself

see the book of Job.....'and the sons of God did gather to present themselves'

I hope to stand well.....in THAT congregation

Burl

Can you explain to me why Lot was viewed as morally good for giving his virgin daughters away to be gang raped? I always got a kick out of that one.
You may admit that no matter how messed-up one gets they would never lay unknowingly with their daughters ( Genesis 19:30–38) So you may concede that these passages are metaphorical and that Lot was willing to sacrifice his worldly possessions to defend his faith in Genesis 19:1–11.

How is a pillar of salt metaphorical one may ask, and another may reply that in moderation salt is a blessing but in great amount a poison.

Demonslayer

So you may concede that these passages are metaphorical and that Lot was willing to sacrifice his worldly possessions to defend his faith in

That's a pretty big stretch. I just don't see how handing virgin daughters to be gang raped works as a metaphor for sacrificing worldly possessions. I could think of 100 metaphors for that that don't involve such a horrible act. It's so awful and immoral, it ruins any lesson that could be learned about worldly possessions.

Demonslayer

Daughters were property at the time.

Lol. God is super moral! Your statement still doesn't explain how or why it would be moral to give your human property to a gang of rapists.

Even if the despicable idea of daughters being "property" is somehow acceptable, does that mean fathers back then didn't love their daughters? That they would...and should according to God...hand them over to be brutally raped, simply to prevent one homosexual act?

Burl

The story reflects a moral code of honor between a man and his guests:

When Lot saw them, he rose to meet them and bowed himself with his face to the earth 2 and said, “My lords, please turn aside to your servant's house...

In defense of his guests honor Lot sacrificed the virginity of his daughters:

"Behold, I have two daughters who have not known any man. Let me bring them out to you, and do to them as you please. Only do nothing to these men, for they have come under the shelter of my roof.”

Last edited:

idav

Being
Premium Member
Lol. God is super moral! Your statement still doesn't explain how or why it would be moral to give your human property to a gang of rapists.

Even if the despicable idea of daughters being "property" is somehow acceptable, does that mean fathers back then didn't love their daughters? That they would...and should according to God...hand them over to be brutally raped, simply to prevent one homosexual act?
They didn't want the daughters cause they weren't interested in getting married. Besides that, its a pretty big sacrifice, I couldn't do it. Just the fact he would try and save strangers over his own family is pretty astonishing.

idav

Being
Premium Member
In defense of his guests honor Lot sacrificed the virginity of his daughters.
I don't really think they were all that innocent, they were trying to marry or get pregnant to the point of raping their own dad.

Burl

They were due to marry before their father sacrificed their honor, then I guess their suitors dropped them.
Now we have to second-guess the metaphor in use by which the daughters of Lot were "honored" to be the "First Ladies" of the Moabites and Ammonites.

rusra02

Premium Member
mostly every moment I'm not distracted I'm wrestling with concepts, my beliefs, the world, but all centered around God.

I've never met anyone like me and often I feel alone. That the people in the bible are my friend. I relate to them much more than anyone else alive.

The bible seems to explain human relations better than anything or anyone I've experienced so it draws me.

I guess at the end of the day I've learned to live at peace with this, but thought I'd share here to see if others are like me.
I think you are conscious of your spiritual need, and that is a good thing. Jesus said; "Happy are those hungering and thirsting for righteousness, since they will be filled." (Matthew 5:6) I believe there are millions of people who have come to know the truth about God and are happily enjoying his friendship.

OurCreed

There is no God but Allah
mostly every moment I'm not distracted I'm wrestling with concepts, my beliefs, the world, but all centered around God.

I've never met anyone like me and often I feel alone. That the people in the bible are my friend. I relate to them much more than anyone else alive.

The bible seems to explain human relations better than anything or anyone I've experienced so it draws me.

I guess at the end of the day I've learned to live at peace with this, but thought I'd share here to see if others are like me.

Well, if you think about God all day, that means you are specially guided by Him.

Torah4Yah

image.png

If you want to read scripture in the most pure form I have the dss (Dead Sea scrolls) Qumran text. There are many things to know about the bible and how it came to be.

I have 2 friends that are a team of translaters that have been working on the dss the last 20 years. The dss is the oldest text that we have available.
Yes there are fragments that are older but this is a complete text. It is 75% complete it is a work in progress.

The bible anyway you slice it came from the masoretic text an already corrupted writing.

If you are interested in this understanding I would send you the files and give you a link to a 3000 page commentary explaining how and what they did to do these translations and to help understand what happened along the way to translations.

Scripture the way YHWH intended his words to be understood. Pointing out the things that are corrupted and understanding what God wanted us to know.

I posted an example of one verse properly translated as an example.

One of the words does not match the lexicon an there is a reason that is explained in the commentary. Let me know if you would like the files and the links.

Last edited:

Deidre

Now, I'm like you. I left faith for a while, and returned last year. And yes, I feel like you do, sometimes lonely in the feelings, because it's like even people who claim to be religious or spiritual who I know, they don't like to discuss it too often. To each their own, but I wanted to post to let you know...you're not alone. :sunflower;

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Or obsessive-compulsive and not accomplishing much else in life.

If I said I thought about Harry Potter all day, people would say I'm wasting my time.
Or maybe she has problems being social with others and tends to socially isolate herself/is more reclusive, like me. Maybe she is a more contemplative person and prefers time to herself and her thoughts. She might be more of a monastic type or a hermit. Etc. There's many possibilities and it doesn't mean she's wasting her time or whatever. Stop being so judgmental. There's nothing wrong with spending your time contemplating Harry Potter, either. In academic circles, franchises like that are treated like modern mythologies and many books have been written about them, exploring their philosophies.

Last edited:

OurCreed

Or obsessive-compulsive and not accomplishing much else in life.

If I said I thought about Harry Potter all day, people would say I'm wasting my time.

Thinking about Harry Potter doesn't benefit anyone. Thinking about God, the one who created the universe, is how your life can become better and full of more blessings and guarantees your salvation when you die. You're accomplishing everything in life with God. Without God, your entire life is meaningless, no matter what you do.

OurCreed

Sure, it can. Franchises like Harry Potter, Star Wars, the Matrix, Lord of the Rings, etc. all have very deep spiritual and philosophical messages. Pondering them can have a very positive effect on one's spirituality and general worldview.

That's not what I said. I said thinking about Harry Potter as the persona is not going to help anyone. Obviously if you are studying or understanding the moral messages and philosophical concepts of stories and tales, they do bring benefit. But thinking about certain figures as if they were real is not going to do anything except delude you. My whole point is in reply to the person who said thinking about God will do nothing. Well, if you're thinking about the being that created the entire universe, including you, and who possesses the power to do everything for or against you, then I think it is logical to believe that relying solely on this being is all you need to have a successful life. Everything else will bring you to ruin.