• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I think about God all day

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
mostly every moment I'm not distracted I'm wrestling with concepts, my beliefs, the world, but all centered around God.

I've never met anyone like me and often I feel alone. That the people in the bible are my friend. I relate to them much more than anyone else alive.

The bible seems to explain human relations better than anything or anyone I've experienced so it draws me.

I guess at the end of the day I've learned to live at peace with this, but thought I'd share here to see if others are like me.
There might or might not be such people here, but there have been notable people in the past whose life was focused on God. For example, Brother Lawrence's Practice the Presence of God. And I've personally found that the life of Saint Francis speaks to some people outside of Catholicism as well as Catholics. And there are many others.

idav

Being
Premium Member
mostly every moment I'm not distracted I'm wrestling with concepts, my beliefs, the world, but all centered around God.

I've never met anyone like me and often I feel alone. That the people in the bible are my friend. I relate to them much more than anyone else alive.

The bible seems to explain human relations better than anything or anyone I've experienced so it draws me.

I guess at the end of the day I've learned to live at peace with this, but thought I'd share here to see if others are like me.
I am rather preoccupied with thoughts about god, its place in the world and how it relates to everything. I don't really meet anyone in real life too much into religion. When I do it is rare so I think I can relate. I look at various religious texts but go through the bible still for the most part.

Sonofason

I wake up in the morning, and my thoughts are of God. Throughout the day, my thoughts are of God. I find myself in prayer nearly all the time. When I lie down to sleep, my thoughts are on God. It is for me, as you say it is for you, if not for the distractions of life, my every moment would be centered around God. Perhaps we are alike.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Is there a concept in your practice, Carlita, whereupon the "Fear" of "The One" is "The foundation of wisdom"?

Fear in no sense of the word I read isnt in the Buddhist practice. Nichiren Buddhism puts more emphasis on our knowing our mind and suffering throuh the Dharma. So, if fear is a suffering, we shouldnt become attached to it and make it our identity. Instead, by the Dharma some Buddhist meditate others chant but all, I can say safely teach about compassion and relief of human suffering.

Fear as in obedience? The Buddha doesnt obligate us to follow him. He says trust his teachings by testing them and the teachef first to know its true. Nichiren also talks about faith (something I havent heard in the Pali but could be hard translation) and without faith (devotion/commitment/practice) there is no Buddhism.

As for "The One" in the traditon I follow, the Lotus Sutra Dharma is "the one". Some look to The historical Buddha others to their self only. As for supernatural, as in god, there is no concept of heirachy in Buddhism as in regards to creator but heirachy based on rolez.

I read when I practiced Zen that "if a Zen master cant bow to his student he isnt worthy of being a Zen master." That was so profound that "fear for one" has no place in my practice. All is equal.

Wanted to emphasis Im speaking for my own belief. Even Nichiren Buddhist disagree among ourselves. I feel its more political. Then thats another story....

Burl

I tend to ask questions then web search, so I'd guess that the modern equivalent is "reverence for the Dao" as an active response to the Four Noble Truths and The Eightfold Path in which 'fear' may be associated with the prospect of failure and in rebirth and renewed dissatisfactions.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery

Hiya, Moth, that highlighted bit really speaks volumes. I certainly am more internalized than most, but I also like to get out and be around furry little human animals from time to time. One simply must find a nice balance so that personality does not become too ingrown. Living in a perfect world in our heads is not the wisest use of ones time. Like Nietzsche, I'd recommend some other reading or going out and having some fun. God can wait. There's so much more interesting stuff all around you if you go look.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Hi pudding, do you like to debate?
How about that the teachings in the bible are more helpful and relevant than anything else written in relation to understanding human nature and human relations.

That seems to be what I'm into these days as a topic of discussion.

You mean the prohibition against eating shrimps? Or the command to stone gays to death?

Ciao

- viole

Sabour

How do you worship God ?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member

Nope ...

Marsh

I'm not such a person though I know there are others like you. I've talked with them in various forums. I would be very surprised if there weren't others such a yourself on this forum.

When I was sixteen I became an atheist. When I was twenty-five I nearly died as a result of an unidentified ruptured appendix and spent a week in hospital. I was in the end of my second week after returning home when it suddenly occurred to me that in the three weeks of my illness and recovery that I hadn't once thought of God. What makes two people so different?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I'm not such a person though I know there are others like you. I've talked with them in various forums. I would be very surprised if there weren't others such a yourself on this forum.

When I was sixteen I became an atheist. When I was twenty-five I nearly died as a result of an unidentified ruptured appendix and spent a week in hospital. I was in the end of my second week after returning home when it suddenly occurred to me that in the three weeks of my illness and recovery that I hadn't once thought of God. What makes two people so different?

Profound.

:herb:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Seems to be an effect from being cloistered, weither it be thoughts and/or a retraction of some sort into a type of "realm" thereby creating a different world and perception that may not reflect well concerning the actuality of one's surroundings and how it's interacted with.

I remember thinking about God consistently day in and day out, and complimented everything in a physical way so my house looked more like a private church to a greater or lesser extent.

I can relate to that, but came to realise over time that it's not always healthy or practical to live in a rose colored world too much to such an extent that you start lose touch with things.

I tend to temper the impulse for those reasons, although I don't decry contemplation outright. Just moderation.

Sabour

yeah...but I don't remember which book....
old testament I think

I mean how is that worshiping God. Can you explain?

I didn't know what the phrase would point at.

For instance, in Islam, when you something for the sake of God, it is worship.

For example, if you are avoiding looking at women and doing this and that because God has ordered it and you decided to marry, have children and raise them in a good way, than every single step you did through out this is a worship.

If you are drinking,eating, and sleeping to make yourself stronger and ensure to be in good health to worship God, than your drinking,eating, and sleeping is a form of worship.

Reading what you wrote I can only relate to this idea. Did I get it right ?