• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I, Pastafari: A Flying Spaghetti Monster Story

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Yeah, so what? I check my belief vis-a-vis science all the time. Not going with science will make it false. I believe science is the measure with which things should be weighed. Don't you think there should be a method to check things rather than ancient books or beliefs?
When you get down to the actual scientific method, it is basically empirical neti-neti, no?

ronki23

I never understood pastafarianism myself. It's clearly an attempt to defeat religion but the primary deity (Flying Spaghetti Monster) is clearly manmade:

spaghetti is made from mixing wheat flour and water
meatballs are made from killing pigs or cows ,cutting them and mashing them up
sauce is made from mixing tomato and garlic

You can't create a Centaur or a Minotaur and you don't see them roaming around

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I never understood pastafarianism myself. It's clearly an attempt to defeat religion but the primary deity (Flying Spaghetti Monster) is clearly manmade:

spaghetti is made from mixing wheat flour and water
meatballs are made from killing pigs or cows ,cutting them and mashing them up
sauce is made from mixing tomato and garlic

You can't create a Centaur or a Minotaur and you don't see them roaming around

That's not quite the history. FSM was created in response to the desire to teach "intelligent design" as science. Flying Spaghetti Monster - Wikipedia

crossfire

Premium Member
But everything can't be answered using the empirical method.
Indeed. However, the fact that not everything can be answered by using the empirical method (such as the differences in two separate individuals' qualia regarding a commonly observed event) does not mean that it can be called prudent to take license to outrightly discard empirical evidence.

PureX

Veteran Member
Indeed. However, the fact that not everything can be answered by using the empirical method (such as the differences in two separate individuals' qualia regarding a commonly observed event) does not mean that it can be called prudent to take license to outrightly discard empirical evidence.
That very rarely happens. What usually happens is that people have a different criteria for what they consider significant or pertinent evidence.

crossfire

Premium Member
That very rarely happens. What usually happens is that people have a different criteria for what they consider significant or pertinent evidence.
The point being that different individuals will have different reactions to the same stimuli. We are not robot automotons programmed to all clone the same subjective reactions to the same stimuli.
These subjective differences are real--even between identical twins.

PureX

Veteran Member
The point being that different individuals will have different reactions to the same stimuli. We are not robot automotons programmed to all clone the same subjective reactions to the same stimuli.
These subjective differences are real--even between identical twins.
The point, to me, is that they result in a different perception and understanding of reality. For everyone. Objective reality may be objective, but our experience of it is not. Nor is our understanding of it.