• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I, Pastafari: A Flying Spaghetti Monster Story

PureX

Veteran Member
It seems to me that the whole point of the OP was to expose our inconsistent views on the supernatural.
But that "inconsistency" is what makes those views so variably useful to so many different people. If one were not biased in favor of consistency, thinking it "objective" and "scientific", they might be able to appreciate the value of that variable utility.

PureX

Veteran Member
God will still be an imaginary friend whom I will think as helping me, but in reality that does not help. People still will get killed by enemy, brought down by disease, buffeted by earthquakes, tsunami, volcanic explosions, floods, typhoons, tornadoes.
It helps enormously in terms of our enduring these things.

PureX

Veteran Member
I do not deny that. It helps many people. But it still is a placebo, imagination.
Why does that matter to you? All differentiated phenomena is 'imagined' to be a separate "thing". Imagination is an elemental aspect of cognition.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I do not deny that. It helps many people. But it still is a placebo, imagination.

You are aware that some effects in some cases can be observed by science.

Let me explain it to you using science. If thoughts are noting but physical and chemical processes in a brain, then a placebo can still have an effect, because the thinking that it works, can work as a physical and chemical process and influence the brain and body.
So if I get happy by believing in God, it can e.g. work in the following: It reduced stress, that improves the condition of the body.

Could your start looking outside your bias against certain ways of managing one's life?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Why does that matter to you?
It does not really matter to me since most Hindus including my family, my community, all are theists. For nearly half my life I was an oscillating theist, fairly well-versed in scriptures, Sanskrit, mythology, folk-speak, etc. My sort of creatures are an exception. I speak of my mind when it comes to discussions and debates, I am not a theism-hater, though I am a strong atheist.
Could your start looking outside your bias against certain ways of managing one's life?
Thanks Mikkel, my life is fairly well managed. I do not need to change it in any way.

PureX

Veteran Member
It does not really matter to me since most Hindus including my family, my community, all are theists. For nearly half my life I was an oscillating theist, fairly well-versed in scriptures, Sanskrit, mythology, folk-speak, etc. My sort of creatures are an exception. I speak of my mind when it comes to discussions and debates, I am not a theism-hater, though I am a strong atheist.
What are you getting from your atheism, that you were not getting from your theism?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
What are you getting from your atheism, that you were not getting from your theism?
Theism is make believe. Advaita is truth. I do not need make-believe. 'Advaita' does not accept the universe, birth, death, heaven, hell, any kind of salvation. Perceived world (Samsara) is considered to be an illusion, a very strong illusion (maya).

Read 'Atma-Shatakam' (six verses to Nirvana) at Atma Shatkam - Wikipedia
(Composed by the first Sankaracharya in 8th Century CE)
So is mine. So please consider if you are using your own subjective standard on other humans.
It is a forum and we discuss our beliefs. What I mention are my views, these are not the views of many other Hindus. I have no problem with that. If your views also differ from mine, why would that be a problem?
but .....but....
we are not in the game and joke section
Now what is that supposed to mean?

Last edited:

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
It is a forum and we discuss our beliefs. What I mention are my views, these are not the views of many other Hindus. I have no problem with that. If your views also differ from mine, why would that be a problem?

That your views are not your views and beliefs. It is truth.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Yeah, so what? I check my belief vis-a-vis science all the time. Not going with science will make it false. I believe science is the measure with which things should be weighed. Don't you think there should be a method to check things rather than ancient books or beliefs?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Yeah, so what? I check my belief vis-a-vis science all the time. Not going with science will make it false. I believe science is the measure with which things should be weighed. Don't you think there should be a method to check things rather than ancient books or beliefs?

That is not science. That is a belief. Science is to check what science can and can't do:
Science has limits: A few things that science does not do

PureX

Veteran Member
Theism is make believe.
Everything is "make-believe". The human mind takes sensory input from the body and assembles (invents) a "reality" that makes sense of it, for us. And by "makes sense", I mean it enables us to function, with relative success, in our environment.
Advaita is truth. I do not need make-believe.
Oh, but you are "making believe". You're just making yourself believe that your invented conception of reality is "the truth".

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
but .....but....
we are not in the game and joke section
Which one? His or yours?
You're just making yourself believe that your invented conception of reality is "the truth".
I say what science says. Big Bang is the best accepted model of cosmology as of present. Hindu scriptures also accepted that one single entity constitutes all things in the universe.
'Sarvam khalu idam Brahma' (All things here Brahman) - Mandukya Upanishad (There are other such sayings as well.

Last edited:

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Which one? His or yours?
I say what science says. Big Bang is the best accepted model of cosmology as of present. Hindu scriptures also accepted that one single entity constitutes all things in the universe.
'Sarvam khalu idam Brahma' (All things here Brahman) - Mandukya Upanishad (There are other such sayings as well.

But the Big Bang is not everything and it may be that science has a limit for what it can do? Have you test that or do you believe blindly in science?