1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I miss this stammering idiot...

Discussion in 'Political Debates' started by Alison Wonderland, May 6, 2017.

1. Alison Wonderland

Ratings:
    +98

Bush 2 was always a pathetic public speaker but through his failure to articulate himself coherently; he seems to come across as a decent guy. A simple guy. Probably a guy who only really cares about MLB and college football.

Now he's dedicated his time to painting.

I'd like to say that I'm no art critic or expert (but I am) so forgive me when I say his "artworks" aren't particularly jaw-dropping and a cynic like me would usually point to some ulterior motive; such as: glorify the monstrous, unnecessary war that I ignited and presided over.

[​IMG]

Apparently most of his paintings are of (if not inspired by) Iraq 2 war veterans; can't help but feel kind of sorry for the guy.

Almost seemed haunted.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. YmirGF

YmirGF Bodhisattva

Ratings:
    +14,861
    Religion:
    Beyond the Light
    I'm one of the few people outside the family who has always liked George W. He is much, much smarter than most will ever dream giving him credit for. Granted he made some pretty large mistakes and was willfully mislead by some advisors whom he trusted too much, but he is a real stand up guy.

I all but ignored him till Sept. 11, 2001. It was his speech shortly thereafter that made me sit up and listen very closely to what he said from there. I am happy to admit, as he probably will agree, the "Mission accomplished" debacle was not his brightest moment. *sigh*

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Revoltingest

Revoltingest Libertarian Capitalist Atheist Bokononist
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +38,997
    Religion:
    Bokononism
    And for stammering, Obama is king.
    Take away his teleprompter.....

Regarding "Mission Accomplished", I think its being a faux pas is overblown.
    Mission Accomplished speech - Wikipedia

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. sun rise

sun rise "Let there be peace and love among all"
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +11,813
    Religion:
    Love
    The current regime makes me long for Dubya who made me long for Reagan who made me long for Nixon who really made me long for Eisenhower who I would vote for today.

That said, Bush's finest moment was after 9/11 and the speeches he gave at that point.

As far as stammering goes, try to find the right words when a crowd is staring at you and you want to say the right thing. I'm not going to get into the "he's worse than him nya nya nya" taunting.

• Winner Winner x 2
  5. Revoltingest

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +38,997
    Religion:
    Bokononism
    I thought that was his very worst moment.
    He was a strong leader bent on revenge.
    And he got both parties to get us into those
    interminable costly wars.

• Like Like x 3
  6. sun rise

sun rise "Let there be peace and love among all"
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +11,813
    Religion:
    Love
    So you hated a speech that brought the country together, that comforted people in pain and so forth.

I fully supported Afghanistan but think we botched the aftermath as we botched the aftermath of Iraq which I did not support.

7. Satans_Serrated_Edge

Ratings:
    +1,380
    Religion:
    The temple of ham sandwich
    The video title is pretty misleading. The interviewer seems to be trying to bait dubya to 'slam trump' but he doesn't bite.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Kuzcotopia

Kuzcotopia If you can read this, you are as lucky as I am.

Ratings:
    +1,533
    Religion:
    Fat Stack 'o Pancakes
    The neoconservatives in charge, post 9-11, saw an opportunity and use Bush's presidency to cynically try to accomplish it.

The Roadmap to Peace in the Middle East, it was called. I hated that plan, I thought it was immoral, and I didn't underestimate the power of religion in the region the way they did.

But if there's any credit, at least they had a plan, and assumed positive long term consequences (that didn't work out). Compared to the current president's administration, which clearly has no moral compass or sense of direction to formulate any long term plan on any policy other than hold rally's and talk tough l, Bush's admin were geniuses.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Revoltingest

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +38,997
    Religion:
    Bokononism
    To bring the country together for bi-partisan support for well over a trillion dollars worth of continuing wars.....yes.
    (Although "hate" is too emotion laden. I prefer "oppose".)
    Botching is what happens in war.
    It always will.
    So the rewards should be well defined & greater than what we've seen.

10. godnotgod

godnotgod Thou art That

Ratings:
    +1,227
    Religion:
    Ludditism
    You mean brought a country of sleeping children together who believe in myths and fairy tales. Of course it was easy. Even a caveman can do it!

11. oldbadger

oldbadger Skanky Old Mongrel!

Ratings:
    +3,853
    Religion:
    deist
    You mean to say that a stammering, simple pathetic idiot could become the President of the United States of America and one of the most powerful folks in the World?

Tell me........ how you doin' so far?
    :D

12. LuisDantas

LuisDantas Aura of atheification
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +13,532
    Religion:
    Advocate of letting go of theism. Buddhist with an emphasis on personal understanding.
    I would not call him a strong leader (not that I particularly value strong leadership, mind you), but otherwise you are spot on.

13. Revoltingest

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +38,997
    Religion:
    Bokononism
    I saw him shepherd the country towards war with grit & determination,
    when the outcome was uncertain. Strength is fundamentally neither
    good nor bad, but in this case, it's the latter.

14. Labourwave

Ratings:
    +2,978
    Against whoever was their next military target.

15. LuisDantas

Ratings:
    +13,532
    Religion:
    Advocate of letting go of theism. Buddhist with an emphasis on personal understanding.
    You call that strength?

If you really see any sense in that...

16. Revoltingest

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +38,997
    Religion:
    Bokononism
    Strength is the capability to do what is difficult.
    Do you disagree?

17. LuisDantas

Ratings:
    +13,532
    Religion:
    Not exactly. That is a functional enough definition for our purposes.

But to call GWB strong.... well, you are closer to him and all that, but the hints sure did not reach me.

I don't even think that it is a good thing if a POTUS (or a President of anything) is "strong". But leaving that aside, Jimmy Carter struck me as strong. Dwight Eisenhower, certainly. Abraham Lincoln, probably. The ones that came after Carter? Not one of them. Obama probably has the best case for that qualifier, followed by Clinton.

That is not a coincidence. Every single Republican POTUS since at least Reagan was elected in no small part because they were not strong in any meaningful sense. They were privileged but weak (if often fearmongering) men who appealled to fearful people seeking promises of denial of uncertainty.

That took its toll. The GOP of these days is noteworthy for very little beyond its undeniable fragility and fear.

That is one reason why they are so catastrophically obsessed with attaining nominal "wins", no matter how destructive and feeble they might be. They seem to no longer have the ability to differentiate being feared from being strong or even respected.

#17 LuisDantas, May 7, 2017
    Last edited: May 7, 2017
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. godnotgod

godnotgod Thou art That

Ratings:
    +1,227
    Religion:
    Ludditism
    Yes, believe it or not, and now we have another idiot of a different kind, perhaps far more dangerous than Bush.

I've often wondered if we need to have some exams a would-be President should pass to qualify him. Even potential jurors are screened for qualification; eliminated if they show prejudice or hatred. Here we just voted in a man who is obviously racist and aggressive, and a chauvinist to boot. Obama showed far more intelligence than either Bush or Trump throughout his presidency, but was constantly up against Republicans who saw him as an unqualified black man, and couldn't wait for him to leave, rarely, if ever, giving him the credit or attention he deserved.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. oldbadger

oldbadger Skanky Old Mongrel!

Ratings:
    +3,853
    Religion:
    deist
    Is that a reflection of yours upon the electorate?

...... him? Was that a slip of tongue, exposing some inner prejudice against female leaders?

After the USA's treatment of Former President Obama, maybe your last Election will wake up the electorate for the next Election?

Yes. Former President Obama is one of the best Leaders the US ever had, but prejudice, bigotry, hatred, carelessness kept his good works at bay.

20. Revoltingest

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +38,997
    Religion:
    Bokononism
    I don't understand your usage of "strong".
    But no matter.