• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I keep getting rejected from jobs...help?

As well as my music, I've been looking for some more permanent part-time work. The only problem is that i don't seem to be getting ANYWHERE. I've sent CV off time and time again and I've not even had interviews or even replied.

I'm well-qualified and I am articulate and intelligent. What can I do to improve my chances of getting a reply?

Phone and ask, I know it is unpleasant but it is worth it, just ask to speak to whoever is in charge of hr and tell them you are interested in a position and you would appreciate some feedback or advice on what you could do to improve your chances.

Watchmen

Premium Member
Looking for a job IS a full-time job. You should put in as many hours looking as you want to work per week. Meaning, if you want a full-time job you should be spending 40 hours/week looking. If you want a part-time job you sould be spending 20 hours/week looking. Do you think you're spending that much time?

Alceste

Vagabond
Looking for a job IS a full-time job. You should put in as many hours looking as you want to work per week. Meaning, if you want a full-time job you should be spending 40 hours/week looking. If you want a part-time job you sould be spending 20 hours/week looking. Do you think you're spending that much time?

Or you could just do what I do: Stroll into a temp agency, take a few skills tests and be working the following week.

Seriously, temping is the bomb. I love it. It suits me because I love to travel and set my own hours, and I hate looking for work. When I want to work, I want to start NOW, you know? I'm not a patient person. So I let somebody else with a lot of connections find a job for me.

Temping is also a good way to get your foot in the door if you want permanent work. I am currently three months into a job that was only supposed to be 3 days at the start, but they would like to keep me indefinitely. If I wasn't leaving the country in a couple weeks, I'm quite sure they would make a permanent position for me.

Another advantage is that temp agencies often offer computer skills training. I learned Excel that way, which increased my job prospects. They will also be happy to discuss improvements to your CV if you ask.

The way to go about it is to sign up with a bunch of them - not just one - and do some research first to make sure you are approaching an agency that has jobs for a person with your experience. For example, some deal with particular industries, some deal with manual labour, some deal with office help, etc. Then call them all once a week to see if they've got anything going. When they do, they'll call you, but checking in regularly keeps you fresh in their minds.

The down side of it is that it can be irregular and there are no benefits, but since a lot of posts are "temp to perm" - i.e. the employer wants to try somebody out with no obligations for a while before offering a contract - that can be a short term problem.

Oh yeah, you can also keep looking for permanent work while you're temping. You don't need to give notice if you find something.

Last edited:

blackout

Violet.
Alcest's post was good.

As well, Security Guarding can be a good steady part time kind of thing.
You go do a day or two of training with a security agency
(they also do a little background checking and take fingerprints)
and they place you at one of the sites they contract.

You could also be a back up guard,
for when other guards call out.

Not totally sure that's how it is in the UK.
But is my experience here in the US.
I was a part time SO for a couple of years.

At least then you have the agency placing you,
even if the sites change from time to time.

rojse

RF Addict
I've been in this exact same boat, and it is not fun.

Think of this as an opportunity - you can start a career in a whole new industry. In fact, you should be applying in all sorts of areas, because if you are applying for work in a area, you might well be looking for work in a work market that is full already.

You should expect to be knocked back occasionally. If you aren't getting to the interview stage, perhaps you need to work on your resume. If you don't land the job after an interview, you might need to practice with a friend for interviews.

Clover

Taoist & Shintoist Farmer
Honestly, if my career was out of the question (becoming a Military History professor, and a farmer). I might join the NSA (National Security Agency), but honestly, if the Military rejects me, I will have no future for my career, cause I don't have enough money to pay for more then 1 year of college, and to get a MA in Military History, is 6 years of college, and that much student loan would have me in debt for decades, and I do not like the idea of being in debt. I am terrified of not having a job, cause I mean, ya, I'm 16, I don't have one, but I am not yet, considered a adult, and not allowed to vote also. I know, that all my life is based on one thing, and that's not good, but it's all I have. No amount of scholarships can help me, I even looked into doing the ROTC program, and getting 2-3 good scholarships, I'd barely be able to pay my first year, and that will just not do. So, I figure this. Join the US Army, stay in it for 2-3 years, doing tours, or just stayin at whichever fort they decide to stick me at (If I could choose, I wana go to Japan to learn Zen Buddhism, and also maybe find a Tai Chi/Chi Kung Master), and save up my money, then, go to a traditional college for 4 years, then go to Norweich University, get my Master's in Military History, they also have a teacher licensing group their, and then, I will teach at a Military Academy, somewhere, were I can raise cows, and raise a family, teach them honor, and discipline, and loyalty, and then, when I am ripe and old, I will die, knowing I beat the odds from where people said "your too poor to get anywhere", and all I had to say was "forget you" and do what I had to do, to get to where I wanted to be. I will not die rich, but I will die, fulfilled, and know that I at least, protected my country, raised my children to honor their ancestors, and their neighbors, and above all, teach them to Respect others.

Sorry, got into a rant, but hey, what exactly are your "skills"? I mean, other then a musician, what do you like to do? WHat did you major in at Highschool?

Watchmen

Premium Member
Or you could just do what I do: Stroll into a temp agency, take a few skills tests and be working the following week.

Seriously, temping is the bomb. I love it. It suits me because I love to travel and set my own hours, and I hate looking for work. When I want to work, I want to start NOW, you know? I'm not a patient person. So I let somebody else with a lot of connections find a job for me.

Temping is also a good way to get your foot in the door if you want permanent work. I am currently three months into a job that was only supposed to be 3 days at the start, but they would like to keep me indefinitely. If I wasn't leaving the country in a couple weeks, I'm quite sure they would make a permanent position for me.

Another advantage is that temp agencies often offer computer skills training. I learned Excel that way, which increased my job prospects. They will also be happy to discuss improvements to your CV if you ask.

The way to go about it is to sign up with a bunch of them - not just one - and do some research first to make sure you are approaching an agency that has jobs for a person with your experience. For example, some deal with particular industries, some deal with manual labour, some deal with office help, etc. Then call them all once a week to see if they've got anything going. When they do, they'll call you, but checking in regularly keeps you fresh in their minds.

The down side of it is that it can be irregular and there are no benefits, but since a lot of posts are "temp to perm" - i.e. the employer wants to try somebody out with no obligations for a while before offering a contract - that can be a short term problem.

Oh yeah, you can also keep looking for permanent work while you're temping. You don't need to give notice if you find something.

According to my sources temp agencies don't have work right now.

Zephyr

Moved on
Finding work these days is hell. Nobody is hiring, and the few that are are crazy restrictive and pay crap, simply because they can with our unemployment rate. Ideally the best thing to do right now is find something you're good at and work with that for a bit. I happen to be a major nerd for guitars and basses, and I've memorized the wiring for 9 or 10 of the most common configurations, so I've made some scratch doing instrument repairs. Just find what you're good at, then find a way to make money off it.

Busking is always fun, though if you're just a bassist an ABG or an upright would be almost necessary.