• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I just learned what I am!

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
I'm a flexitarian. Have been one for years and didn't even know it.

There are people who are strict vegetarians for religious/ethical reasons. I applaud them. For a variety of reasons I'm not one of them.

Then there are people who eat fish/seafood but not poultry/red meat. That's fine, except I get annoyed when they call themselves vegetarians, or adopt the attitude that I should be like them. And then there are people who eat fish and poultry but not red meat. And that's fine too, except I get annoyed when they (ridiculously) call themselves vegetarians, or adopt the attitude that I should be like them.

I've known people who will eat fish or poultry for both lunch and dinner every day who somehow think they're more compassionate to animals or conscious of the environment than someone who eats meat of any kind only twice a week. That makes no sense to me.

I eat vegetarian most of the time. I eat meat occasionally. I'm a flexitarian. Glad to have a name for it so when some self-righteous pescotarian starts getting in my face I can shove right back. :tuna: Bring it! :D

Any other flexitarians here?

From the following web page:
http://www.cbass.com/flexitarian.htm

I’m a Flexitarian!

I’ve just discovered I’m a flexitarian—and that I’ve got lots of company. According to Charles Stahler, co-director of the Vegetarian Resource Group, a substantial percentage of the population leans toward vegetarianism, but is willing to eat meat, fish or poultry occasionally or in small amounts. The term flexitarian was apparently coined in the early ‘90s, but is only now finding its way into the mainstream.

Flexitarians are flexible in what they eat. According to an Internet search, the earliest citation of the term was a quote from Helga Morath, who used the term flexitarian fare in the Austin American-Statesman, October 17, 1992, to describe the eclectic menu of health/vegetarian food served up in her recently opened Acorn Café at 26th and Guadalupe streets in Austin, Texas.

According to an Associated Press story by J.M. Hirsch that ran in newspapers all over the country a few days ago, the term flexitarians was voted the most useful word of 2003 by the American Dialectic Society. When you realize how many people are included under the flexitarian umbrella, you’ll appreciate why the term is so handy.

While people who never eat meat, poultry or seafood are estimated at 3% (about 5.7 million), those who at least occasionally eat vegetarian food may be up to 40% of the population. According to the AP piece, the growing number of part-time vegetarians has had a huge impact on the food industry. “In recent years the market for vegetarian friendly foods has exploded, with items such as soy milk and veggie burgers showing up in mainstream groceries and fast food restaurants,” Hirsch wrote. Health food markets such as Wild Oats or Whole Foods, which cater to vegetarians, but also sell wonderful meat, fish and poultry are popping up everywhere—and for good reason.

Suzanne Havala Hobbs, a dietician at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, credits the growth of flexitarianism to a better understanding of the diet-disease connection. “Whether you make a commitment to eating strictly vegetarian or not,” she told the AP writer, “cutting back your dependence on meat is something most people acknowledge they know they should do.”

Another perspective is that vegetarians are more likely to insure an adequate intake of protein if they don’t avoid the complete protein found in meat, fish and chicken. That’s the view of Mollie Katzen, a cookbook author and founder of the Moosewood Restaurant, an mostly vegetarian eatery located in Ithaca, N.Y. She advocates a flexible vegetarian-based diet. “I don’t feel it’s wrong if you’ve got a great big plate of vegetables,” she told Hirsch, “[that] your protein is from a healthy, happy chicken, or a grass-fed cow.”

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
It is obvious to me that my ideal diet is ice cream, coffee, and chocolate. My system needs those vital substances to survive.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Sunstone said:
It is obvious to me that my ideal diet is ice cream, coffee, and chocolate. My system needs those vital substances to survive.
Yeah, that sounds about right to me. (One of my favorite treats being a mocha milkshake.) I just throw in the occasional grains and veggies for variety's sake. Let no one think that I eat "healthy." That would be misleading indeed. :p

mrscardero

Kal-El's Mama
cardero keeps telling others that I am a vegetarian. He asks me what I am having to eat when we sit down to dinner together. Then he starts making bunny noises with his teeth out.
smack.gif

I eat a lot of vegetables. I eat fish and shrimp when I have dinner with cardero. I will only eat chicken ones a week, depending on my mood. I don't really eat pork or beef. I choose these food because I for some reason just do not like the taste of red meat.

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
lilithu said:
Any other flexitarians here?

Absolutely, if your definition is correct. I am, in fact, religiously so. Every Wednesday, Friday and various fasting seasons I am tea total and strictly vegan (at least if I can manage to stick to the fast), except that I'm allowed, but rarely eat, shellfish, which vegans don't eat but not olive oil, which vegans do. Most of the rest of the time I'm completely omnivorous, though there are days when I don't eat meat but everything else is fine or eat neither meet nor dairy but may eat fish and drink.

James

cardero

Citizen Mod
mrscardero said:
cardero keeps telling others that I am a vegetarian. He asks me what I am having to eat when we sit down to dinner together. Then he starts making bunny noises with his teeth out.
smack.gif

I eat a lot of vegetables. I eat fish and shrimp when I have dinner with cardero. I will only eat chicken ones a week, depending on my mood. I don't really eat pork or beef. I choose these food because I for some reason just do not like the taste of red meat.
What mrscardero fails to explain is that there was a friend of mine who had a girlfriend that spoke only Spanish around a table of 4 English only speaking individuals (a very interesting experience I might add). When I was trying to explain that mrscardero consumed mostly vegetables, I pointed to my wife and grabbed the lettuce that was used to bed the mozzarella sticks and proceeded to nibble the lettuce like a rabbit which effectively sent the message across that my wife preferred vegetables over meat. I am supportive of my wife's eating preferrences and I believe that she has a very valid reason for not eating meat.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
I am a flexitarian; I can be happy eating meat, fish, and still be just as happy eating none. I am easy to please!

nutshell

One of the most oxymoronic labels ever:

"Dolphin-safe Tuna"

HELLO???!!! What about the freakin' tuna???

I think it's interesting that we go out of our way to label the protection of one species so we can feel better about our consumption of another.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
nutshell said:

"Dolphin-safe Tuna"

I think it's interesting that we go out of our way to label the protection of one species so we can feel better about our consumption of another.

This reminds me of a story. I was at "Shula's" restaurant in Detroit a couple months ago with some friends from work. They had "dolphin steak" on the menu. So my friend tells the waiter: "I'd like to get the dolphin steak, but are you sure it's 'tuna safe'?" :D

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
nutshell said:

"Dolphin-safe Tuna"

The label seems moronic if we value all species equally, but I do not. I do value the dolphin more than the tuna. Why? Because it's more intelligent, and because there are far fewer of them. Is that a rational reason to value on species over another? Maybe not. But then there are few rational reasons to value anything over anything else, and yet we do.

nutshell

lilithu said:
The label seems moronic if we value all species equally, but I do not. I do value the dolphin more than the tuna. Why? Because it's more intelligent, and because there are far fewer of them. Is that a rational reason to value on species over another? Maybe not. But then there are few rational reasons to value anything over anything else, and yet we do.

If you value one species over another because of intelligence perhaps we should start canning the mentally retarded.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
nutshell said:
If you value one species over another because of intelligence perhaps we should start canning the mentally retarded.
:rolleyes: I've never had a problem with the practice of vegetarianism. It's the self-righteousness that I can't stand.

nutshell

lilithu said:
:rolleyes: I've never had a problem with the practice of vegetarianism. It's the self-righteousness that I can't stand.

I don't believe you answered my question...can you please explain?

(by the way, I'm just playing devil's advocate...i've read many articles about animal rights and these are where my arguments are coming from)

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
So people with disabilities are another species than humans?

Then there are people who eat fish/seafood but not poultry/red meat. That's fine, except I get annoyed when they call themselves vegetarians, or adopt the attitude that I should be like them.
I eat seafood but not any other kind of meat, I am a pescetarian. My diet on most days is vegetarian, but I am still a pescetarian.

The only seafood I eat is sushi (I can't stand cooked fish, lightly cooked salmon is about the most I can stomach) and crabcakes/ragoons which I can't afford as often as I would like. :(

shaktinah said:
I'm a flexitarian. Have been one for years and didn't even know it.

There are people who are strict vegetarians for religious/ethical reasons. I applaud them. For a variety of reasons I'm not one of them.
One of the ladies I work with is a vegetarian, but not because she has anything philosophically or morally against eating meat...she just doesn't like meat. She thinks fruits and veggies taste better. :shrug: However, we keep trying to get her to expand her boundaries, and she said when she tasted some kind of meat the other day (I can't remember what it was now; I think it was sausage or salami or something) she said it wasn't bad. Go figure.