• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I Have Questions about Buddhism...

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
Ah, this is one of the reasons why I love RF, I dont get to talk with any Buddhists in my day-to-day life :D The past couple of weekends I have gone to the temple were the first time I have even met any Buddhists who are actually serious about practice (it was for beginning the process of taking precepts) and don't just call themselves Buddhist because they agree with the philosophy and worldview.

I really appreciate having you and the others here to discuss with :D

As do I with you guys. It's a real blessing to be able to communicate with other Buddhists in cyberspace.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
The funny thing in my case is that I'm only an hour and a half from the Rochester Zen Center founded by Phillip Kapleau of which the center is regarded as being one of the best to go to in the northeast. I came across a few addresses of Soto sitting groups which were dead ends, and another Zen Center that was closer, yet still was about a half to an hour drive depending on traffic and weather. Those places I might be able to arrange some sitting sessions yet more importantly arrange for sesshin in order to see how my practice is coming along. The clergy I have contact with online are understandably hesitant to forward any advice as this is something best left intimately face to face in dokusan with a teacher of whom there is a relationship going on and can make such determinations. Roshi Nonin mentioned to me it would be like aiming a shotgun and hoping some of the pellets would hit. I had to agree its not the best way for a teacher to impart guidance to a student he doesn't really know, is unfamiliar with my progress, and never met in person. He suggested that search for one that I could see in person. Couldn't argue with that although he will certainly assist me or anyone else regarding the intellectual side of things.

Tough thing is that teachers are hard to find and choose for a long term commitment. Both need to be serious and dedicated to each other and in many respects it's like a marriage. That's exactly why I stayed with Bompu Zen Practice ATM until my Zen practice is such that I feel I'm ready to commit in a face to face setting.