• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I Have Questions about Buddhism...

Catsmeow

Master of Epic Insanity
So, I was raised a Methodist Christian, but I have had some problems with it. So I have some questions about Buddhism.

1. What does it believe as far as self-discipline? That's one of the potential aspects that attracts me to it.

2. Is it really a kind of agnosticism? Forgive my ignorance, but if I don't ask it I'll never know.

3. What are the ideas concerning Dharma?

4. Are the guidelines to reach enlightenment strict?

Okay! But, if I had failed to ask about something I should know, please say it! I'd rather have too much information than too little when it concerns this.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
So, I was raised a Methodist Christian, but I have had some problems with it. So I have some questions about Buddhism.

1. What does it believe as far as self-discipline? That's one of the potential aspects that attracts me to it.
Hello, CM.
No one else can change my life or impact my spiritual (for lack of a better word) progress. Only I can do that.

2. Is it really a kind of agnosticism? Forgive my ignorance, but if I don't ask it I'll never know.
Agnostic of what? God? Not for me.
Dharma means teachings (at least in this context anyway). So the ideas regarding the teachings are just that - and they vary quite a bit from one tradition and school to another.
They are as strict as you want them to be (which will govern the rapidity of your progress).
Okay! But, if I had failed to ask about something I should know, please say it! I'd rather have too much information than too little when it concerns this.
First off, are you drawn to any particular tradition or school? What did you read or were you exposed to initially that piqued your interest in the first place?

Catsmeow

Master of Epic Insanity
I'm interested in the idea of finding enlightenment through personal growth. That's one of the biggest things that piqued my interest.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
That it's a good thing? Not fully sure what you mean so I'll leave this here too:

The Eightfold Path

The Buddha spoke against the belief of a creator god, but aside from that said it wasn't worth thinking about, since belief in gods is not important to attaining Nirvana.

"Whoever sees the Dharma sees me; whoever sees me sees the Dharma."

Nirvana is Dharma. The Buddha is Dharma. It's not a matter of teaching but a matter of doing.

Some say so, others say there is nothing to reach. Nirvana is a mental state that results from the release of attachments.

"This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications, the relinquishment of all acquisitions, the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Nibbana."

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Belief is not recognized by sense of it's definition, but rather this is done by way of direct experiences whereas a person "knows" without the necessity of establishing a belief of which through its implication, tends to refer towards something static and is therefore not something practical to go by. Self-disipline does not come about by believing in, which therefore I can do it, but rather I simply do it and "understand" by way of the results and continue.

Thats a a tricky and suttle term. I tend to identify as an agnostic/athiest yet in essence Buddhism is not agnostic nor theistic for that matter. It goes by relationships of which by nature is fluid and dynamic effectively nullifying such designations.

Basicly, applying the teachings of the Buddha. Primarily, through application of the Four Noble truths and the Eightfold for life in general. The ideology concerning the Dharma is whatever arises from that.

No. It's rather simple but tremendously hard to realise due to strong ego. That's why it typically takes such a long long time at the onset to relise enlightenment due to clouding and obscurity brought on by one's ego. Rest assured "it's" there. Just need to blow away the cobwebs. ;O)

Just that you will be in for the absoulte worst battle of your life. Bear in mind Buddhism is compassionate, not always gentle.

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond

Hello Cat, I also was raised Methodist and started having problems with the teachings! Now I practice Buddha Dharma and particularly the Zen school. So!

Discipline really depends on how much of your focus, energy, life, etc. you want to focus on practicing the teachings. The more you put into practicing the Dharma, the more you will realize the Dharma; but it is not an issue of gaining or losing, as nothing is separate, there is no higher state to reach, rather it is a realization of the state of things as they actually are already.
That is what Buddha meant when he responded to the question of what he was with "I am awake." The important thing is the discipline your mind so that you gain an understanding of how it works.

Good question to clarify. Like others said, the Buddha denied a creator God and a personal God. Ultimately it doesnt matter whether you "believe" in God as regards to realization. The allegory given by Buddha was the story of a man who was shot by a poison arrow. His servants wanted to remove the arrow but he insisted on knowing first who shot the arrow, who was his family and where he came from etc.. If we waste our time with these kinds of questions instead of working on getting the arrow out first, we will likely die before we can do anything about it.

Some people believe in God, but they still are not kind, and do things that are harmful to themselves and others.

Like Engyo said, the ideas differ from school to school. Is there any school in particular that you find specific interest in?

There is not an "enlightenment" to reach, there is only realizing what is already the nature of things. As the teachings of each school differ about the nature of enlightenment and things, likewise, the practices to realize that enlightenment also differ. From most perspectives though, like the story mentioned above, time is of the essence, so it is important to practice as diligently as possible, lest we waste our precious life as a human.

As far as anything else, the basics that are accepted in all schools of Buddhism are the Four Noble Truths and the Noble Eight-Fold Path. The teachings of the Buddha summed up are: Cultivate positive actions, cease negative actions, and discipline your mind.

These are all technical things, and basics. As enlightenment is the realization of things as they are, the practice is simply letting go of attachments to appearances and ideas. Calming the mind, the ripples, waves, and debris gradually settle and all things are reflected clearly without obscurations.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member

Me too. My path, my thoughts, my feelings, my experiences....all my own responsibility. No matter how much I experience good times or bad, what I do is still entirely up to me.

No need to be sorry.....since practicing Buddhism, I've described my beliefs as a "non-theist." For me, whether or not a God exists doesn't discern how I believe. It is, for lack of a better term, a non-issue.

Dharma is one of the Three Jewels. Buddha, Dharma, Sang'ha....each one I take refuge in. But it can be more than how it typically is described as "the Buddha's teachings". It can be more than practicing your core ethics. It can also be described as the commitment to understanding your reality with the faculties you have at your disposal.

Strict guidelines? Not at all. But harsh, unadultered, astounding, "WOW"-ness of seeing phenomena as it really is? Yes.

This is why enlightenment is so elusive and difficult to achieve. It isn't that the course to get there has to be filled with 100,000 prostrations or 100,000 mantra recitations.....it's that people typically get in their own way time after time after time.

Information is good. Start practicing what you know. But.... Always question. Always seek.

Always. :yes:

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
Strict guidelines? Not at all. But harsh, unadultered, astounding, "WOW"-ness of seeing phenomena as it really is? Yes.

This is why enlightenment is so elusive and difficult to achieve. It isn't that the course to get there has to be filled with 100,000 prostrations or 100,000 mantra recitations.....it's that people typically get in their own way time after time after time.

This, I like :D.

This is what the masters talk about when they say you can't find Great Mind with thinking mind.

ratikala

Istha gosthi
dear cats meow ,

self dicipline ? you set your own pace , and increase when you are ready , but some people need or perform better with some form of dicipline .

ha ha , I have to agree with engyo here , ....not for me :)

the teacings or law (meaning truth) upon which our moral code is based and by which
self dicipline is dictated .

sometimes enlightenment just happens , the trick is getting oneself into the right state of mind for it to happen .a lot of the practice is about letting go of our preconceived ideas and being prepaired to see things as they truely are .

what is good to know ?

to me it is a very gentle practice , very much about developing compassion , equally for yourself and for others , but allso for all life .

happy enquiring ,

Tathagata

Freethinker
Let me correct some of the misconceptions here:

Buddhism is not just about the 4 Noble Truths and the 8 Fold Path. Thats just the shell that contains his actual teachings. You have to go to scripture or read about Buddhist philosophy to get the meat and potatoes of Buddhism. 4NT and Eightfold tell you nothing.

I will answer your questions in my next post.

@DreadFish

I don't believe the Buddhas teachings can be summed as you have described. There is much more to his teachings than cultivate positive, dont do negative, and discipline your mind. See my next post and you'll see why.

Tathagata

Freethinker

Yes, self-discipline. I think my fellow Buddhists didn't quite get what you were saying with regards to this. Heres some quotes from the Buddha himself on the matter which I think address your inquiry.

"Thus you should go about self-governed, mindful; governed by the cosmos, masterful, absorbed in concentration."
-- the Buddha [Adhipateyya Sutta]

"Oneself, indeed, is one's savior, for what other savior could there be? With oneself well-controlled one obtains a savior difficult to find."
-- the Buddha [Dhammapada 160]

"No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path."
-- the Buddha

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it."
-- the Buddha [Kalama Sutta]

No, the Buddha is not an ignorant man, he is "a knower of the cosmos, wise, a sage unfashioned with regard to all things."

"The Tathagata [Buddha] sees the Universe face to face and understands its nature."

The Buddha explicitly stated many times throughout scripture that there is no God and condemns belief in God, but he does say that there exists what he calls Universal Mind.

"Universal Mind (Alaya-vijnana) transcends all individuation and limits. Universal Mind is thoroughly pure in its essential nature, subsisting unchanged and free from faults of impermanence, undisturbed by egoism, unruffled by distinctions, desires and aversions.

Universal Mind is like a great ocean, its surface ruffled by waves and surges but its depths remaining forever unmoved. In itself it is devoid of personality and all that belongs to it, but by reason of the defilements upon its face it is like an actor a plays a variety of parts, among which a mutual functioning takes place and the mind-system arises."

-- the Buddha [Lankavatara Sutra]

Most have covered it quite well already, but I will expand on it.

Dharma is the teachings of the Buddha, Dharma is the governing laws of the Universe, and the Buddha is the embodiment of Dharma, the Dharmakaya.

Twilight Hue

Buddhism is not just about the 4 Noble Truths and the 8 Fold Path. Thats just the shell that contains his actual teachings. You have to go to scripture or read about Buddhist philosophy to get the meat and potatoes of Buddhism. 4NT and Eightfold tell you nothing.

Nope.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!

This is certainly one person's opinion, which may or may not hold true for other Buddhist practitioners.

Tathagata

Freethinker
This is certainly one person's opinion, which may or may not hold true for other Buddhist practitioners.

It's not my opinion, it's the doctrinally correct position. I've read much Buddhist scripture and the 4 Noble Truths are hardly mentioned at all.

And this fact makes sense, theres only so much you can say about a list of 12 things. There is no substance to these and this is fact. What is Right View, Right Speech, Right Action? You wouldn't know if all you read was a list that is the 4NT & 8FP.

Scripture spends thousands upon thousands of pages describing what Right View is, the essential knowledge of the Universe.

As I pointed out before: "The Tathagata sees the Universe face to face and understands its nature."

What you are promoting is ignorance not Enlightenment. The Buddha would never say "ignore all knowledge, just memorize this list."

Tathagata

Freethinker
Thats cool. Just disregard it. Dosen't change nope for what it is.

Which is.......

Nope.

"Here an ascetic or Brahmin does not in truth know whether a thing is good or bad. He thinks : "I might declare : ‘That is good', or ‘That is bad', but there are ascetics and Brahmins who are wise, skilful, practiced debaters, like archers who can split hairs, who go around destroying others' views with their wisdom, and they might cross-examine me, demanding my reasons and arguing. And I might not be able to reply. Not being able to reply would distress me, and if I were distressed, that would be a hindrance to me.' Thus, fearing debate, abhorring debate, he resorts to evasive statements."

-- the Buddha [Brahmajala Sutta]

"There are, monks, some ascetics and Brahmins who are Eel-Wrigglers. When asked about this or that matter, they resort to evasive statements, and they wriggle like eels on four grounds."

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

"Here an ascetic or Brahmin does not in truth know whether a thing is good or bad. He thinks : "I might declare : ‘That is good', or ‘That is bad', but there are ascetics and Brahmins who are wise, skilful, practiced debaters, like archers who can split hairs, who go around destroying others' views with their wisdom, and they might cross-examine me, demanding my reasons and arguing. And I might not be able to reply. Not being able to reply would distress me, and if I were distressed, that would be a hindrance to me.' Thus, fearing debate, abhorring debate, he resorts to evasive statements."

"There are, monks, some ascetics and Brahmins who are Eel-Wrigglers. When asked about this or that matter, they resort to evasive statements, and they wriggle like eels on four grounds."

Nope.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
What you are promoting is ignorance not Enlightenment.
Promoting? Where did I promote anything?

Just curious; you seem to relish online confrontations with folks. It's not something that I feel enhances my practice or my efforts to share thedharma one bit - tried it out, didn't find it helpful, to me or others. Your mileage may vary, of course.