• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I have no use for God

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
From @mikkel_the_dane "I can use a version of some deistic God and I have faith in Her."

Ok, I can understand that people find belief in a God useful. I'm not judging that.

For me, even if a God does exist, I have no use for them.

"God", can go about existing and doing whatever a God does but I have no need or use for them. I think for some, God has some psychological/emotional/motivational benefits.

I can handle my own psychological/emotional/motivational needs.
At one time, in the past, maybe I needed God for these things. Now I don't

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
From @mikkel_the_dane "I can use a version of some deistic God and I have faith in Her."

Ok, I can understand that people find belief in a God useful. I'm not judging that.

"God", can go about existing and doing whatever a God does but I have no need or use for them. I think for some, God has some psychological/emotional/motivational benefits.

Jolly good. :)

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

Great!

I'm sure, if there is a God, He will be happy to have you back if you so choose.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member

Okay! :)

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
This line of thinking is just so weird to me. While I conceptually understand that culturally pervasive assumptions about gods lead them to view it as a ... what... tool? Emotional crutch? Something like that? I, personally, find that baffling and don't get it. In a polytheistic tradition, saying you've got no use for gods is like.... saying you've got no use for... er... eating. Or sunlight. And gravity. So... yeah. Super weird to me. o_O

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.

Surely, this is one of the most ridiculous posts ever on this website. To say that you have no use for the Creator is at once silly and pathetic. IMHO

Bird123

And this is Important WHY???
What is your Goal??
What do you seek by doing this?
Are you really weak and this is a way to assure yourself?
Have or are you being intimidated?
Are you angry for something you aren't getting and attempting to strike back?
Are you trying to influence or intimidate others?

There are a million questions and a million possibilities.
Paint the entire picture so I can see!!!

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

:shrug:

F1fan

Veteran Member

If you mean it's like some gnat that exists somewhere and it doesn't bother you so you have no feelings about it one way or the other?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Surely, this is one of the most ridiculous posts ever on this website. To say that you have no use for the Creator is at once silly and pathetic. IMHO

Which creator, though? I can understand not having any "use" for gods that aren't relevant to one's tradition or culture. I don't have much use for creator gods myself since they aren't... really a thing in my tradition (at least with respect to how a most would understand it)
. One can also wonder whether "use" really matters. I mean, is it even about us to begin with? Do the gods (or perhaps, which gods) really care if humans have a "use" for them?

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I didn't think much of the OP, but I have to say, I think even less of yours. You use the phrase "the Creator" as if there is a) such a thing, and b) only one.

Now, I have no use for things that do not exist -- since they do not exist, what possible use could I make of them? And this "Creator" you speak of, while such a thing might conceivably exist, you could not any means that you can imagine demonstrate such a thing. And not being able, by any means whatever, to demonstrate that a thing exists is, in my view, pretty much the same thing as it not existing at all.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You don't believe in anything higher than your own ego guiding the way for itself? Nothing to rise above in yourself, habits to break, hills to climb, ego to transcend? If yes to any of those, than a "higher power" can be useful to rise above yourself.

I'm curious, did you used to view God as some person who would fix your problems for you? If so, I understand this 'need to pull myself up by my own bootstraps' response. I'd just say there is more to it than that however.

Heyo

Veteran Member

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. - Seneca

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful. - Seneca
Cute, but it's a false quote. Seneca did not say this.

Here's the actual source:

“The various modes of worship which prevailed in the Roman world were all considered by the people as equally true; by the philosopher as equally false; and by the magistrate as equally useful. And thus toleration produced not only mutual indulgence, but even religious concord." (Edward Gibbon, The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, Vol I, (New York: The Modern Library, 1995), p1.​

Abe Lincoln.jpg

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
I don't know the future
Glad I started early with my "God Quest"
Now I'm "ready" if troubles arise
(Establishing God contact took a while)

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
For me, even if a God does exist, I have no use for them
Did you "find God"
To conclude "I have no use for God"?
Otherwise how do you know?

Some claim "I have no use of a girlfriend"