• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I Have Hand-Raising Disease!

J Bryson

It's a horrible affliction. I first noticed it in college, which was the first time that I bothered to pay attention in class. My professors would ask a question. I'd raise my hand and respond. After a while this got to be embarrassing, so I stopped doing it as much. The problem was that nobody else would raise their hand, and I couldn't handle the tension in the room as the professor looked around helplessly. Eventually it would shoot up again, as if of its own accord.

Now it's gotten silly. This has caused me to volunteer for the following: Nomination to the Church Board of Trustees (I won), greeting, ushering, homeless feeding, kitchen duty, cleanup duty, research of local businesses to promote our chapel for weddings, and liaison to city hall for an upcoming march we're planning. At the board meeting last night, it came up that they needed someone to run the soundboard at the church for a couple of weeks so that the usual guy can go on vacation. I have no clue how to do such a thing. Great, my first opportunity to NOT volunteer, right?

The problem is that the call had been out for a replacement for a week, and no one had stepped up to the plate. The issue was discussed around the table, with no resolution. I could feel the itch. My arm was twitching. Despite noble efforts on my part to restrain myself, my hand flew up in the air once again.

"Can you teach me to run the thing so that I don't burn the place down?" I sighed.

What is WRONG with me?

Dezzie

I wish I had the hand raising disease. I probably would have learned more and went a bit farther with my education... lol

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend J Bryson,

Everything is perfect.
Understand that though we state that we do things of our free will; you must have realised that Things happen of its own accord except that we become a MEDIUM for that to happen.
Existence finds us as the best medium in the circumstances to get that done.
Once we allow things to happen of its own accord then we cooperate / surrender.
In that surrender does the bmerging happen.

Love & rgds

J Bryson

Oh, I understand that in theory, zenzero, and as usual you have a knack for expressing these things.

However, I'm not so much disturbed by this as I am amused.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend J Bryson,

Oh, I understand that in theory, zenzero, and as usual you have a knack for expressing these things.

However, I'm not so much disturbed by this as I am amused.

Great!
Understanding is the basis of entering in that silent zone where one is no more but becomes a part of the whole.

Love & rgds

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I've got a lot of yard work I've been putting off. I could use some help.

Any volunteers?

J Bryson

Oh, sure, take advantage of a sick man! It's like going to a sex addicts meeting to get some action!

dawny0826

Mother Heathen
I do the same thing but I sort of like, every now and again, to play superwoman.

I'm a capricorn, though...

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Name your poison, my friend.
I'll bet the number of fun things we can find do with a weed whacker is directly proportional to the number of beers consumed. :D

blackout

Violet.
I don't even go near ROOMS where people raise their hands. :no:

Oh... and is anyone free to babysit on saturdays? ;)

Smoke

Done here.
I think I have the opposite of hand-raising disease, hiding-outside disease or something. I've just spent the last week fighting valiantly but without success for a demotion at work. I did succeed in being relieved of the most annoying part of my job.

J Bryson

Okay. After taking in an anti-racism conference at the YWCA, I somehow or other ended up on their anti-racist action committee.....

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
From my dad, I learned to always follow through on any assignment I said "yes" to. From my mom, I learned to say "yes" to everything. My heart goes out to you, but I would probably be the last person alive to be able to give you advise.

.lava

Veteran Member
It's a horrible affliction. I first noticed it in college, which was the first time that I bothered to pay attention in class. My professors would ask a question. I'd raise my hand and respond. After a while this got to be embarrassing, so I stopped doing it as much. The problem was that nobody else would raise their hand, and I couldn't handle the tension in the room as the professor looked around helplessly. Eventually it would shoot up again, as if of its own accord.

Now it's gotten silly. This has caused me to volunteer for the following: Nomination to the Church Board of Trustees (I won), greeting, ushering, homeless feeding, kitchen duty, cleanup duty, research of local businesses to promote our chapel for weddings, and liaison to city hall for an upcoming march we're planning. At the board meeting last night, it came up that they needed someone to run the soundboard at the church for a couple of weeks so that the usual guy can go on vacation. I have no clue how to do such a thing. Great, my first opportunity to NOT volunteer, right?

The problem is that the call had been out for a replacement for a week, and no one had stepped up to the plate. The issue was discussed around the table, with no resolution. I could feel the itch. My arm was twitching. Despite noble efforts on my part to restrain myself, my hand flew up in the air once again.

"Can you teach me to run the thing so that I don't burn the place down?" I sighed.

What is WRONG with me?

a natural born volunteer? seems like you give me reasons to love you. what's wrong with that?