• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I have had OCD for over ten years

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
:expressionless: anything you care to know or wonder?

You have my sympathies. I have a few friends who suffer with OCD and its hell being trapped in rituals that make no sense, but must be performed. One has a germ phobia and is continually washing her hands and scrubbing things that are clean because she imagines that they are contaminated.
sad0137.gif

I came across a man once who was 'trapped' on a sidewalk. He could not step on a crack but a whole section of the sidewalk was shattered from a previous accident. There was nowhere to step and he was stuck. I suggested that perhaps it was better to go back and try to find another way to reach his destination. I could see his dilemma. He was so appreciative that someone understood.

My nephew has Tourette's and he has OCD as well....its a living nightmare for him because he has no control over what he says or does in public. People have no idea how hard it can be just to leave the house for some.

How does yours manifest?

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Any thoughts on its likely origin?

I have heard that pilots suffer from OCD more than most because of their constant checking procedures before take-off. It apparently comes from a part of the brain designed to keep order, but somehow goes out of whack.

There is so much about brain function and chemistry that science is trying to understand. Maybe one day....
sad0061.gif

Shushersbedamned

Any thoughts on its likely origin?
Partly genetic. My mom had and my brother has some symptoms.

And partly a traumatic childhood environment. The first time it started my mom was sick with cancer. I don't remember being worried about her - I didn't know what cancer meant and no one told me. But at the same time the compulsions seemed to be in everything I thought or did.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I have heard that pilots suffer from OCD more than most because of their constant checking procedures before take-off. It apparently comes from a part of the brain designed to keep order, but somehow goes out of whack.

There is so much about brain function and chemistry that science is trying to understand. Maybe one day....
sad0061.gif

Quite. And it's difficult to pinpoint episodes from childhood that might be seeds for future behaviour, when we might have inbuilt tendencies towards some things rather than others.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Partly genetic. My mom had and my brother has some symptoms.

And partly a traumatic childhood environment. The first time it started my mom was sick with cancer. I don't remember being worried about her - I didn't know what cancer meant and no one told me. But at the same time the compulsions seemed to be in everything I thought or did.

Understandable that they would have kept the seriousness from you. Perhaps you picked up on their behaviour even though you didn't seem to worry, but in fact you did.

Axe Elf

Prophet
Please respond with a number for each image in the following link based on how much it bothers you.

1 - No Biggie
2 - Deep Breath
3 - A Little Itchy
4 - Just Don't Look
5 - This Is Annoying
6 - Clenching My Teeth
7 - GOD MAKE IT STOP!

18 Things To Drive Your OCD Crazy

Quote this template if you like...

Shushersbedamned

How does yours manifest?
on many ways and they have changed a lot over the years. The feeling of me or something I touch is dirty has always been prevalent. So has being seen as dirty or "bad" somehow. Like as soon as I feel dirty (say I touch an old cement wall) I start fearing somewhere deep in my mind that people might somehow know. That I'm not "clean enough", whatever that even means:expressionless: I become ashamed prematurely so to speak:flushed:

Shushersbedamned

Understandable that they would have kept the seriousness from you.
I thought it was then. Now I resent it. They didn't keep the seriousness from me. How could they have. My dad drunkenly screamed at night, she's definitely dying. And then he would tell me she won't and back and forth. At the same I couldn't see her cuz she was "resting" which I took to mean that I was too tiresome to her.

It's been 13 years and her death is never talked about. She cannot be talked about. I guess it would inevitably mean blaming someone and the hurt is so deep no one wants to refer to that blame which then touches the hurt part.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I thought it was then. Now I resent it. They didn't keep the seriousness from me. How could they have. My dad drunkenly screamed at night, she's definitely dying. And then he would tell me she won't and back and forth. At the same I couldn't see her cuz she was "resting" which I took to mean that I was too tiresome to her.

It's been 13 years and her death is never talked about. She cannot be talked about. I guess it would inevitably mean blaming someone and the hurt is so deep no one wants to refer to that blame which then touches the hurt part.

I obviously have little knowledge of OCD - never needed to - but perhaps we have had one thing in common, according to the symptoms, and that is over-thinking. I think the only thing that might have helped me was in doing much writing - the focus necessary - and giving me a sense of purpose. I'm the complete opposite in many ways to some with OCD perhaps, and will happily live in a pigsty as long as I can lay my hands on the things I need. The neighbour next door would have a fit if she saw my house - hers is so immaculate. :D

Jumi

Do you think you could forgive your parents in time? Visiting end of life care for a cancer patient can be as traumatic as not seeing them. What he said was resting I understand very well... it's that people in end of life care when I've gone there they can't pay attention to you.

Take care.

Shushersbedamned

Do you think you could forgive your parents in time? Visiting end of life care for a cancer patient can be as traumatic as not seeing them. What he said was resting I understand very well... it's that people in end of life care when I've gone there they can't pay attention to you.

Take care.
End of life care?