• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I have desided to get the Covid vaccine

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't really know why we're having to defend ourselves for saying, 'I don't want it because I don't trust it; the technology is new and the long term is unknown.'

I don't know why this is hard to understand. I guess those on the other side are simply more afraid of coronavirus, and those on the no-vaccine side are more afraid of the vaccine.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
You guys don’t have measures for such travel? We’ve had precautionary measures for such travels to developing countries for like years now. Arguably tightened by the aftermath of 9/11
Well, most of the outbreaks of that sort occur in tight-knit religious and immigrant communities. It's something that really just effects them.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Some folks have had heart attacks, myocarditis is common enough, some folks have reported vomiting, nerve damage, paralysis and more. I would maybe retract 'myriad', but 'bloody crazy' sounds about right for paralysis and myocarditis.

Paracetamol, which is sold over the counter in many countries, has extremely rare but potentially fatal side effects. So do a multitude of medications and treatments in wide use globally. Even if paralysis occured in one out of a hundred million vaccine recipients, the manufacturer of the vaccine would have to list a warning about it.

Pharmaceutical companies have to list possible side effects no matter how common or rare they may be.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Paracetamol, which is sold over the counter in many countries, has extremely rare but potentially fatal side effects. So do a multitude of medications and treatments in wide use globally. Even if paralysis occured in one out of a hundred million vaccine recipients, the manufacturer of the vaccine would have to list a warning about it.

Pharmaceutical companies have to list possible side effects no matter how common or rare they may be.
Yes, they do.

And yes, paracetamol is incredibly dangerous. It has to be prescribed by a doctor if you're in France.

This is kind of my point; we really should not be as willy-nilly as we are with drugs and trusting the companies that make them. They are for-profit after all. The oxycodone crisis is a good example of this.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Well, most of the outbreaks of that sort occur in tight-knit religious and immigrant communities. It's something that really just effects them.
Which is why I’m in favour of measures to combat it being more fervently in such communities. I think that’s also why our government focuses health measures on Aboriginal communities. They tend to be the most affected during such circumstances. So there’s more of a concerted effort to bring up vaccine rates in such communities. Long before COVID even

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Which is why I’m in favour of measures to combat it being more fervently in such communities. I think that’s also why our government focuses health measures on Aboriginal communities. They tend to be the most affected during such circumstances. So there’s more of a concerted effort to bring up vaccine rates in such communities. Long before COVID even
The most they can do here is try to fine people or keep them from school. They cannot take the children away and force the needle in their arm. The Constitution is still a thing, for the time being.

I certainly don't blame Australian Aboriginal peoples for not trusting the government, if that is their reasoning. They were treated horrifically. They weren't even recognized as human beings.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, they do.

And yes, paracetamol is incredibly dangerous. It has to be prescribed by a doctor if you're in France.

This is kind of my point; we really should not be as willy-nilly as we are with drugs and trusting the companies that make them. They are for-profit after all. The oxycodone crisis is a good example of this.

It helps when basically all major and reputable medical organizations worldwide agree that a vaccine or medication is generally safe and that its serious side effects are extremely rare. On the other hand, COVID has a side-effect profile whose full extent or duration we don't even know yet, and that's if one isn't vulnerable or unlucky enough to die of the virus.

I'm personally not willy-nilly about the vaccines; I just view them as orders of magnitude safer than playing my odds with the virus. When push comes to shove, I'll take being willy-nilly about medically approved vaccines over being so about a pandemic disease we don't even fully understand yet.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
The most they can do here is try to fine people or keep them from school. They cannot take the children away and force the needle in their arm. The Constitution is still a thing, for the time being.

Yes your constitution is certainly treated rather religiously. I mean we have a constitution of our own but no one really cares.
I certainly don't blame Australian Aboriginal peoples for not trusting the government, if that is their reasoning. They were treated horrifically. They weren't even recognized as human beings.
Agreed.
It’s why such health measures are so fervently applied today. To try to remedy that hurt. Working with elders and giving a boost to community health. Be it more access to doctors for rural residents or simply trying to reach common vaccination goals and helping to educate people on health rights and matters.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'd rather entirely leave the decision up to CT and his doctors, the reason being that on the off chance that he has an unlucky tendency to have severe reactions to vaccines, only his doctors can determine that and inform him of it.

I wouldn't simply recommend them to him in this specific case and then go "oops!" if he had such a reaction. Sometimes you have to step back and defer to the experts who are more familiar with the situation.
Going by what he's posted in the past few months,
I stand by my recommendation. And of course, he
did say he's talking to doctors. So I won't have
undue influence.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Going by what he's posted in the past few months,
I stand by my recommendation. And of course, he
did say he's talking to doctors. So I won't have
undue influence.
But if he starts eating haggis, we certainly know who is to blame ;)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
We're already on multiple boosters with a vaccine folks have taken just this year and myriad side effects.
But a great many more unvaccinated people have suffered
severe illness & even death in greater percentages. I personally
know too many who were at death's door, some of whom didn't
make it. I'd rather that CT not be added to those lists.
So he gets my free unsolicited advice.

My worst side effects were from flu, pneumonia, & shingles
vaccines in the same arm on the same day. Had trouble
sleeping that nite. Covid vaccine reactions....barely noticeable.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Some folks have had heart attacks, myocarditis is common enough, some folks have reported vomiting, nerve damage, paralysis and more. I would maybe retract 'myriad', but 'bloody crazy' sounds about right for paralysis and myocarditis et al.
If you ignore the frequency of those side effects, sure it
sounds bad. But the informed consumer would compare
the severity & probability of those with the symptoms &
mortality of Covid 19 for unvaccinated people. Analysis
by epidemiologists shows that vaccination greatly improves
one's odds of avoiding severe symptoms & death.

It's a bad idea to provide partial information that
paints a false picture of the relative risks. Doing so
encourages the hesitant to remain unvaccinated.
Sure, it's their choice. But why justify a bad choice?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
It is not fully of free will. It seems like I have no option
Oh I misunderstood. I thought originally it was an option.

Not a good feeling is it? Being forced to medicate without consent.

I think its a good thing nonetheless, but horrible when freedom of personal choice is under threat of fine and or imprisonment.

That's your choice to make, not theirs.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I'd rather entirely leave the decision up to CT and his doctors, the reason being that on the off chance that he has an unlucky tendency to have severe reactions to vaccines, only his doctors can determine that and inform him of it.

I wouldn't simply recommend them to him in this specific case and then go "oops!" if he had such a reaction. Sometimes you have to step back and defer to the experts who are more familiar with the situation.
If I do get a seriously oops moment and die...i will come back to RF and tell @Revoltingest about it :p that would scare himo_O

RestlessSoul

For public safety's sake, please let us have most everybody be microchipped. in order to enable agencies to track down dissidents. ....:D

Who needs chips when we all have smartphones?

You may say, we could throw those in the bin, but has anyone ever successfully done that?