• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I have a feeling that the afterlife doesn't exist

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Well, I think one thing Elon Musk was right about is that death is necessary. Without an ending, not much that people do makes much sense. If we were all eternally young, or knew we would exist in some form forever, I mean if we really, viscerally, experientially knew that were true then human life as we know it might be quite different. What would be the rush to get qualified, get a good job and so on so you can support a family be motivated by? Would people just do the same things but at a more leisurely pace? Maybe it would change the way people think and live in ways we can’t imagine. I don’t think the abstract notion that we can live forever in some sort of vaguely defined spiritual castle really has the same sort of impact on how people see their lives.
Exactly.
Some people's big volition crushes other people's needs and wants.
Balance is reached when we all wonder "do I really need to do that?".

Speaking of afterlife...maybe we believers are dreamers or visionaries.
But the afterlife we believe in, there is no imperfection. People's wants and needs are all in perfect harmony with one another's.

Madsaac

I know religious people are absolutely convinced of some sort of afterlife but for me I am not convinced at all for me personally I feel like nothing will happen when I die now of course I don't know what happens but I just feel like nothing will happen anyway what are your thoughts on an afterlife ?

Have you ever been under general anaesthetic? When it feels like you have been asleep for one second but its been hours. And during that time absolutely nothing happens and you can't remember a thing.

That's what I think the afterlife is, eternal sleep and you won't even know it.

People are hoping there is an afterlife (And it would be cool and I hope sometimes as well) but really there is no need, this life has been enough.

Last edited:

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
I know religious people are absolutely convinced of some sort of afterlife but for me I am not convinced at all for me personally I feel like nothing will happen when I die now of course I don't know what happens but I just feel like nothing will happen anyway what are your thoughts on an afterlife ?
There's life and there's the opposite of life. That is called death. And then there's the resurrection. So it's life. Death. Life. Nothing happens to you when you're dead. You won't know it because you're dead. The Bible speaks of a resurrection which is a coming back to life. I believe that. It makes sense to me.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I'm atheist and i know what happens

The first law of thermodynamics tell us that in a closed system mass/energy cannot be created or destroyed. Meaning in this case that the atoms that build your body are reused, (the universe is the ultimate in recycling). Worm food, fertiliser for the soil, plants, trees etc... eventually some of those atoms will find their way into other life forms including human beings. That way we are all made of dead people.

Our consciousness ends with our death and our atoms are reused,

So reincarnation in a sense but I don't believe in an afterlife.
With 6he odds mind you factually at 1:?

cataway

if people would read and study the bible they would not have ridicules ideas of life even though the dead are dead

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
I'm atheist, however there is an eternal and infinite foundation to existence and the souls of life are but drops in an infinite sea of pure intelligence. Every living thing is a soul in this sea.

Space, time, energy, and matter are painfully real yet irrelevant and illusory. Eternal beings that have always existed may be real, but they are the furthest thing from being gods. Pure non living intelligence spawns everything we can experience; everything is formed from that.

That's my conviction based on my own logic. In the hereafter all our memories come back to us.

I'm a platonist of sorts. Pure intelligence is not bound by linear time, nor confined to any set area and distance. Pure intelligence is autonomous and brings into existence infinite possibilities; our universe is a miniscule part of what is possible.

YoursTrue

I'm atheist, however there is an eternal and infinite foundation to existence and the souls of life are but drops in an infinite sea of pure intelligence. Every living thing is a soul in this sea.

Space, time, energy, and matter are painfully real yet irrelevant and illusory. Eternal beings that have always existed may be real, but they are the furthest thing from being gods. Pure non living intelligence spawns everything we can experience; everything is formed from that.

That's my conviction based on my own logic. In the hereafter all our memories come back to us.

I'm a platonist of sorts. Pure intelligence is not bound by linear time, nor confined to any set area and distance. Pure intelligence is autonomous and brings into existence infinite possibilities; our universe is a miniscule part of what is possible.
I hope not. I believe what the Bible says. Bad memories will be replaced with wonderful things. To be enjoyed forever.

YoursTrue

Yes, but unfortunately the bible was written by a bunch of men 2000 years a go.

Can we get a more recent, updated version, please. ;)
The fact that the Bible was written so many years ago only adds to its credibility, in my opinion. Because unlike common understanding as ideas change, the Bible remains solid. Even though there were no advances like smallpox vaccines and nuclear weapons. The Bible's teachings remain solid.

InChrist

Free4ever
I think that apart from revelation of the Creator of heaven and earth concerning the afterlife, humans would be clueless or simply come up with ideas out of one’s imagination. From my perspective, the biblical scriptures are the revelation of accurate information about eternal life or eternal separation from God.

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
Why, may I ask.
To keep it as short and simple as possible, we have the non-destructable matter and energy of our universe that we know "recycles."

Then there's the soul, our "God's image." The Christian Bible alludes to many effects that can only be coherently true if our soul remains on its journey to salvation through however many physical lives we need to make. For me, that is the message of Jesus's life, death, and resurrection. The Good News is we all can follow Jesus through learning truth, growing closer to the Father, rebirth after rebirth, until we attain "our" final resurrection. And eventually Heaven on Earth will be a reality, perhaps in another dimension, as "hell" is remaining in the continuing cycle, refusing God's invitation to come home. (Mt 12:31, 32 the unforgivable sin, blasphemy of the Holy Spirit)

My short and simple begins to grow long.....

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
Yes, but unfortunately the bible was written by a bunch of men 2000 years a go.

Can we get a more recent, updated version, please. ;)

And perhaps a scriptural interpretation that all Christians might agree on rather than being divided by the Greek Orthodox Bible (with a 79-book canon), the Catholic Bible (with a 73-book canon), and multiple translations of the Protestant Bible (with a 66-book canon). If they could all agree on which Bible is correct, then perhaps they could agree on what it actually says about an afterlife rather than most of them repeatedly quoting Hebrews 9:27 as if it were the sole verse in the Bible that mentions a hereafter. However, it isn't the only verse. For example, Ecclesiastes 3:21 suggests that human spirits rise upward from the earth, and Revelation 20:13 suggests that they also rise from the sea and Hades and then face God's judgment. Conversely, 1 Thessalonians 4:13–17 and Revelation 20:11–15 suggest that all human spirits (both Christians and non-Christians alike) are sleeping in their graves until they are resurrected and judged by God in the alleged end times. Furthermore, Daniel 12:2, 2 Chronicles 32:33, 2 Chronicles 33:20, 1 Kings 15:8, 1 Kings 16:28, 2 Kings 13:13, 2 Kings 14:29, and John 11:11–15 all support the concept of "soul sleep." There is also 2 Corinthians 5:8, which suggests that Jesus' followers are instantly in his presence after death. Someone suggested earlier in this thread that people should read and study the Bible. I'd be more specific about which people.

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
And perhaps a scriptural interpretation that all Christians might agree on rather than being divided by the Greek Orthodox Bible (with a 79-book canon), the Catholic Bible (with a 73-book canon), and multiple translations of the Protestant Bible (with a 66-book canon). If they could all agree on which Bible is correct, then perhaps they could agree on what it actually says about an afterlife rather than most of them repeatedly quoting Hebrews 9:27 as if it were the sole verse in the Bible that mentions a hereafter. However, it isn't the only verse. For example, Ecclesiastes 3:21 suggests that human spirits rise upward from the earth, and Revelation 20:13 suggests that they also rise from the sea and Hades and then face God's judgment. Conversely, 1 Thessalonians 4:13–17 and Revelation 20:11–15 suggest that all human spirits (both Christians and non-Christians alike) are sleeping in their graves until they are resurrected and judged by God in the alleged end times. Furthermore, Daniel 12:2, 2 Chronicles 32:33, 2 Chronicles 33:20, 1 Kings 15:8, 1 Kings 16:28, 2 Kings 13:13, 2 Kings 14:29, and John 11:11–15 all support the concept of "soul sleep." There is also 2 Corinthians 5:8, which suggests that Jesus' followers are instantly in his presence after death. Someone suggested earlier in this thread that people should read and study the Bible. I'd be more specific about which people.
Interesting that none of these references are from the gospels, and therefore attributable to the recognized head of the Christian church, Christ Jesus. This is one of the reasons I've never been able to accept the "heaven up there" concept.