• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I have a feeling that the afterlife doesn't exist

Muffled

Jesus in me
I know religious people are absolutely convinced of some sort of afterlife but for me I am not convinced at all for me personally I feel like nothing will happen when I die now of course I don't know what happens but I just feel like nothing will happen anyway what are your thoughts on an afterlife ?
I believe the witness of one who was there.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
@Spice Hi again. I looked up a couple of things about what you said, and here's (in part) what I found:
Ecclesiastes 9:10 in the New Revised Standard Version (couldn't find exactly the Revised Standard Version online, maybe I missed it), says this:
"Whatever your hand finds to do, do with your might; for there is no work or thought or knowledge or wisdom in Sheol, to which you are going." Your thoughts, please...

Muffled

Jesus in me
Interesting.
Still I don't understand why the people who don't believe in an afterlife, make children.
What is the point of creating a ephemeral, finite existence?
I suppose if one were making a play the characters only exist for that play but I view us as actors playing many parts.

YoursTrue

I know religious people are absolutely convinced of some sort of afterlife but for me I am not convinced at all for me personally I feel like nothing will happen when I die now of course I don't know what happens but I just feel like nothing will happen anyway what are your thoughts on an afterlife ?
The word afterlife is a bit offsetting for me because I believe there is life for humans, followed by death (which the Bible explains as nothingness, like a deep sleep with no dreams), which can be followed by a resurrection to life again in different circumstances. That being of a wonderful new and far better existence. On this earth for most of humankind.

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
@Spice Hi again. I looked up a couple of things about what you said, and here's (in part) what I found:
Ecclesiastes 9:10 in the New Revised Standard Version (couldn't find exactly the Revised Standard Version online, maybe I missed it), says this:
"Whatever your hand finds to do, do with your might; for there is no work or thought or knowledge or wisdom in Sheol, to which you are going." Your thoughts, please...
Interesting. I'll be back to you later in the day.......Namaste

Xian Fanatic

I firmly believe in reincarnation because we know for a fact that there is a state of existence and none-existence. (Before birth, living, death)
Since we at some point didn't exist, then came to exist, only for us to die and not exist, then the logical conclusion would be that we will exist again.
That is what I believe.

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
Sheol, in most eras and sects, is a place where both the righteous and unrighteous go after bodily death. It's somewhat the Jewish version of Roman Catholic Purgatory. Of course there are many variations.

IMO, Ecc 9:10 refers to that when you reach this point of the salvation journey, there is nothing for you to say or do, for you will be judged according to the progress made thus far. It is finished.

Look to the next verse: Ecc 9:11 "Again I saw under the sun the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, nor bread to the wise, nor riches to the intelligent, nor favor to the men of skill; but time and chance happen to them all."

I take this as one's worldly accomplishments, of body or mind, mean nothing. None of that goes with you to Sheol.

Ecc 12:13 "The end of the matter; all has been heard. Fear (Honor) God, and keep His commandments; for this is the whole duty of man. For God will bring every deed into judgement, with every secret thing, whether good or evil." And that's where The Preacher leaves it.

But Jesus, while absolutely agreeing, adds [Mt 5:26] "truly I say to you, you will never get out till you have paid the last penny." [Mt 6:34] "Therefore do not be anxious for tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Let the day's own trouble be sufficient for the day."

So if we must pay our debts, and the only end-game is Sheol where there is only stillness and darkness, why would Jesus advise to not be anxious and concerned about our tomorrows?

Namaste

YoursTrue

I firmly believe in reincarnation because we know for a fact that there is a state of existence and none-existence. (Before birth, living, death)
Since we at some point didn't exist, then came to exist, only for us to die and not exist, then the logical conclusion would be that we will exist again.
That is what I believe.
OK, thank you for expressing your belief. I do believe I was 'nowhere' personally until I was conceived in my mother's womb. And even then, I didn't know about it and had no consciousness about the world around me for quite a while. So I have no problems logically to think "I" will go back to nothingness, so to speak when I die. I don't particularly like the thought, but that is because I believe God instilled in human minds the prospect of continuing life without death.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
That is what I believe.
I like to put it in the simplest terms. Basically it happened once , so there's no reason to think it can't happen again.

YoursTrue

No its a thought based on facts.
You said it was a feeling. And from what I know and believe from the Bible, life is life and death is not life. Now you can make of it what you want, but basically life shows (I guess doesn't prove for some) that death is not life. But if someone says it is, that's their belief.

YoursTrue

No its a thought based on facts.
what facts? When a person dies they are considered dead. by most. not all. maybe some people think or feel they're (the dead) really alive somewhere else. who knows? maybe they think they're alive walking or floating or flying over the earth. I am glad I no longer contemplate such thoughts. whew, am I glad! thanks.

Twilight Hue

what facts? When a person dies they are considered dead. by most. not all. maybe some people think or feel they're (the dead) really alive somewhere else. who knows? maybe they think they're alive walking or floating or flying over the earth. I am glad I no longer contemplate such thoughts. whew, am I glad! thanks.
I don't think any of those thoughts either. Not sure what your talking about here.

Twilight Hue

You said it was a feeling. And from what I know and believe from the Bible, life is life and death is not life. Now you can make of it what you want, but basically life shows (I guess doesn't prove for some) that death is not life. But if someone says it is, that's their belief.
It's based on how atoms combine and recombine where nothing is really destroyed.

People die and are born all around you because of atoms. Nothing less nothing more.

You die and fall apart and then atoms combine and the lights come on again.

Just like this life and eventual death is followed by countless more lives and deaths.

Twilight Hue

I believe the problem is that he likely doesn't remember it.
I don't think anyone can remember any past life because the ego or your persona is completely wiped clean at conception and birth , ready for new information.

Xian Fanatic

I personally think that Hell and Heaven doesn't exist, but that we instead may end up in the Underworld where we get cleansed from corruption and memories.
Once we are cleaned up and all new again, we get reincarnated into a new world of our own choice. (A choice we made before we lost our memories) :)

YoursTrue

It's based on how atoms combine and recombine where nothing is really destroyed.

People die and are born all around you because of atoms. Nothing less nothing more.

You die and fall apart and then atoms combine and the lights come on again.

Just like this life and eventual death is followed by countless more lives and deaths.
um...atoms just don't collect together to make a person. God alone can do that; not atoms by themselves without direction. They just don't assemble and make a body. Usually it takes a man and woman to "form" another body. The atoms don't just come together by themselves. Which proves to ME that it is only by God's holy spirit (his initiating force) that makes anything. No wonder the Bible says that God makes ALL things...everything in the heavens and on the earth.