• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I got into a fight with my dad about the bible

Muffled

Jesus in me
You are committing the logical fallacy of "red herring". The issue in contention was never about judging what the state of someone's faith in God was.
The issue was whether or not the Bible supports the idea that it's wrong to "argue" or "fight" about what the truth of Scripture is.

You have not attempted to disprove or argue against the Scripture I gave with shows we are to draw a divide between truth and falsehood, and call it out for what it is. This is also what Jesus modeled for us in His own actions.

Your attempted point also isn't even true. The Bible doesn't support the idea that we are not to judge false teachers from true teachers, or the true sheep from the wolves in sheep's clothing. But considering that issue was a red herring to begin with, there is no point in me needing to pull up scripture to prove that fact, because the truth of that fact is ultimately irrelevant to proving your claim that it's wrong for someone to declare that some things are true about Scripture while other things are clearly false.

I believe my experience is that JW's use scripture to promote their own personal beliefs (Ie whatever the watchtower has brainwashed people into believing) but tend to put you on ignore when scriptures that promote a different view are presented.

cataway

I believe my experience is that JW's use scripture to promote their own personal beliefs (Ie whatever the watchtower has brainwashed people into believing) but tend to put you on ignore when scriptures that promote a different view are presented.
why ? to what end? you speak as if the jw have something deviant in mind .

cataway

all that the JW are tiring to do is save your life. and then find more people to find and save more lives.
Matthew 28:19 Go, therefore, and make disciples of people of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all the things I have commanded you. And look! I am with you all the days until the conclusion of the system of things.”

Last edited:

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I could snap my fingers and have 20 people following me, because I know enough about 'The Bible' to sound like I'm an expert. All I have to do is claim that I know with certainty and have some kind of chicken scratch answer for any question. What I actually know will not matter, and how much I truly understand is irrelevant -- to the above.

The arguments in this thread are preposterous. In particularly I am shocked at the confidence of the JW's about doctrines. As if they would be safe if I truly unleashed my venomous power. Don't you read the warnings of the prophets? The prophets directly tell us and repeatedly that the heart is devious, treacherous; both yours and mine. Today you are a JW, but tomorrow you may be not. Its probably not even up to you.

There are many, many people who want to hear a strong position on what Jesus says about this or that; and that is a vulnerability. That is a typical human vulnerability. Its an evil within the human race.

Muffled

Jesus in me
why ? to what end? you speak as if the jw have something deviant in mind .

I believe the concept is that only the JW leaders are right. And any concept deviating from that is wrong. I had a different denomination try to play that one on me and I didn't buy that either. For me something is either true or not whether a so called authority says so or not.. However it is good to get other opinions because your own concepts can be flawed. I rely on the Holy Spirit but sometimes I jump to a conclusion.

Muffled

Jesus in me
all that the JW are tiring to do is save your life. and then find more people to find and save more lives.
Matthew 28:19 Go, therefore, and make disciples of people of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all the things I have commanded you. And look! I am with you all the days until the conclusion of the system of things.”

I believe I never knew a JW who was saved. How do they perceive it? I certainly knew some that were pretty messed up in their theology.

cataway

I could snap my fingers and have 20 people following me, because I know enough about 'The Bible' to sound like I'm an expert. All I have to do is claim that I know with certainty and have some kind of chicken scratch answer for any question. What I actually know will not matter, and how much I truly understand is irrelevant -- to the above.

The arguments in this thread are preposterous. In particularly I am shocked at the confidence of the JW's about doctrines. As if they would be safe if I truly unleashed my venomous power. Don't you read the warnings of the prophets? The prophets directly tell us and repeatedly that the heart is devious, treacherous; both yours and mine. Today you are a JW, but tomorrow you may be not. Its probably not even up to you.

There are many, many people who want to hear a strong position on what Jesus says about this or that; and that is a vulnerability. That is a typical human vulnerability. Its an evil within the human race.
''I could snap my fingers and have 20 people following me, because I know enough about 'The Bible' to sound like I'm an expert.''
is that perhaps most of the problem ??. after all, its the obligation of all learning of the things Jesus taught to tell others so that they are also perswaded to fallow the christ.

Muffled

Jesus in me

I believe I am not apt to follow you just because you are a staff member. I often feel abused when called on the carpet for something I said but I have found arguing with staff members isn't productive since they are always right.

cataway

I believe I am saved from sin and death.

Mat. 1:21 She will bear a son, and you shall call his name Jesus, for he will save his people from their sins.
and yet you are still going to die . and be dead .....for who knows how long. ??
the issue is ''will you then be saved from death " either from a resurrection or if you should happen to live through and into the kingdom of Jesus here on earth

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
''I could snap my fingers and have 20 people following me, because I know enough about 'The Bible' to sound like I'm an expert.''
is that perhaps most of the problem ??. after all, its the obligation of all learning of the things Jesus taught to tell others so that they are also perswaded to fallow the christ.
Arguments cannot win souls but can only ensnare them. They are flawed from the beginning.

I believe I am not apt to follow you just because you are a staff member. I often feel abused when called on the carpet for something I said but I have found arguing with staff members isn't productive since they are always right.
I'm an inactive staff member. I think they're just hoping that I'll help out with spam. I occasionally still kick out spam, so I'm not entirely worthless but am not participating in the process you refer to. I simply don't have the time and time management ability that I need. It is absorbing and a time sync. Also I have put in my signature that I'm only acting as a moderator if I include, in red text, something that says I'm moderating; and people argue with me all the time without any problem. You can disagree with me all day and night, and I may even like you for it if you're polite.

cataway

Arguments cannot win souls but can only ensnare them. They are flawed from the beginning.

is that to say that all religions are bad ? there is but one true God . would he not in fact be the one that could/would decide who it is thats doing it right.?

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
is that to say that all religions are bad ? there is but one true God . would he not in fact be the one that could/would decide who it is thats doing it right.?
I'm referring to the primary #1 teaching in Christ, which nobody has mentioned, yet. Arguments do not win souls, cannot win souls. They trap people, but where the 'Spirit of the LORD' is there is freedom according to what I understand. I have references, but mentioning them in conversation would reduce them to arguments. You'd be in awe of me rather than God. No matter if I know all things and can fathom all mysteries I cannot win a soul through arguments, even if I have know the tongues of angels or can summon God's own voice to my ears. Its not how things work. It is an empty gesture. You'd be better off marrying into Christ than argued in. You'd be better off joining Christ because you were high on marker ink.

My dad said that Ecclesiastes 12:7 and 2 Corinthians 5:6-9 point to the idea that the soul survives bodily death.What should I say to him?:(.Because my dad likes the christian religion.And I like the jehovah's witness religion.:(

"Fighting" is inherent to the myopic bible just as it is to modern nuclear proliferation. Same hands, different weapon but not for entirely different reasons. The reasons remain reflective of a pubescent society.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
My dad said that Ecclesiastes 12:7 and 2 Corinthians 5:6-9 point to the idea that the soul survives bodily death.What should I say to him?:(.Because my dad likes the christian religion.And I like the jehovah's witness religion.:(
May I ask why this difference matters to you?

1. If either one of these is true, you will ultimately still be judged sooner or later for your life.

2. If there is no afterlife at all, and this life is all we have, living in obedience with God, and having faith, is still the greatest quality of life that we can have. It gives our lives meaning. It makes us healthier, happier, longer lived, and provides some protection against depression. Talk about quality of existence.

Hawkins

Your dad is right. God made us in His image. God is a Trinity, so we are.

I post this in another thread,

===========
God gives everyone a spirit to carry what is necessary for a human to live an earthly life, including one's conscience. The spirit will return to God upon your death. Your soul represents the real you which lasts for an eternity in order to stand a continuous witnessing. If you are discontinued along with the decay of your body, no one (except for God) knows whether the you is still the same you before the resurrection. You are the same you as can be witnessed by the angels and chosen saints only when you have a soul to represent the real you, such that an open and legitimate Final Judgment can be facilitated after the resurrection. Or else no witness can tell whether the you is the same you to stand trial after the resurrection. A close analogy is, you committed a murder but died in a car incident, someone with scientific ability has clone another you, the same you in terms of DNA, to stand trial. Is it legitimate? The answer is no, even when he's with the same DNA as you are, he's still an innocent. He's not the real you in terms of legitimacy to stand trial for a crime not committed by him.

In a similar manner, only God knows is not a legitimate witnessing generally speaking, though God Himself can stand valid witnessing as God is a Trinity. However if "only God knows" applies to each one's judgment then no one can tell whether the judgment is a fair judgment and God is a fair God as only He Himself knows without another valid witness. In order for others besides God to tell whether a judgment is open and fair, your soul is required to be witnessed (by the angels and chosen saints who have the ability to reckon a soul) in order for such a Final Judgment to be carried out legitmately.

Since a human is designed to go through different stages (earthly stage and heavenly stage at least), your spirit is needed to carry something specific to a stage. Say, your earthly emotions only remain in your earthly stage. After your death you no longer have the same affection for your parents or your children. They are more or less like your ex-girl friends or boy friends. You can still remember them but your love for them are gone. This cannot be achieved without a spirit. With the spirit "storing" your emotions. Your love for your parents and kids only remains here on earth. After death your spirit returns back to God as said. It's gone with your love for your parents and kids. In Heaven then, you will be given a new body perhaps with a new spirit which "stores" only the love for your brothers and sisters in Heaven.

Muffled

Jesus in me
and yet you are still going to die . and be dead .....for who knows how long. ??
the issue is ''will you then be saved from death " either from a resurrection or if you should happen to live through and into the kingdom of Jesus here on earth

I believe you have a narrow view of death. The spirit can have death even while it exists or it can have life. That is the case whether it is in the body or not.