• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I got into a fight with my dad about the bible

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I see when one fights over God's Word then both parties are wrong.

The idea is to find the good within, not for it to become a cause for division.

In the end though, we will most likely choose the later.

P/S the soul lives on.

Regards Tony

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
My dad said that Ecclesiastes 12:7 and 2 Corinthians 5:6-9 point to the idea that the soul survives bodily death.What should I say to him?:(.Because my dad likes the christian religion.And I like the jehovah's witness religion.:(

You're talking about "like", IOW feelings. Feelings are usually deep rooted. Not likely to uproot them by a scriptural debate. So, it doesn't matter what you say. What matters is how you make him feel. If you can make him feel comfortable with certain ideas, he is more likely to be acceptable of them.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I grew up mostly as an agnostic atheist with very Catholic parents.

I learned to keep my mouth shut and just be ready for 9am mass on Sunday.
Tom

sealchan

My dad said that Ecclesiastes 12:7 and 2 Corinthians 5:6-9 point to the idea that the soul survives bodily death.What should I say to him?:(.Because my dad likes the christian religion.And I like the jehovah's witness religion.:(

Why does it matter? And where it does matter one can only say one hopes that whatever the case may be that it will mean more hope and joy than expected for either one of you.

dianaiad

Who cares?

What your Dad CAN say is this; whichever one of you is right (assuming of course that one of you actually is right ) then he's the only one who can say "I told you so."

And then hug him.

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
@Frank Goad -

Given that you’ve demonstrated time and again that you really don’t have a solid grasp of Jehovah’s Witnesses doctrine and their understandings of scripture, the best thing you can do, for the moment at least, is to avoid discussing/debating/arguing religion with your dad.

Of course, if you want to pay the airfare for @Deeje to fly over to talk with your dad, I’m sure she would be glad to talk with him. If that’s not feasible, then why not take the time to study and learn and do whatever else is necessary to truly join the Witnesses?

The fact that at age 31 you are apparently living at home, dependent upon your mom and dad for support, have indicated in the past that you have some sort of memory problems, leads me to suspect that you have been less than forthcoming about issues that affect your ability to be the self sufficient, mature adult that you, no doubt, aspire to be.

Last edited:

lostwanderingsoul

Number 1. I think JW's are Christian. Number 2. The same word in Genesis that says Adam became a living soul, is also translated as animal or beast or creature. So it is just a livivg thing that dies. Maybe you should look at the idea of "spirit" instead of "soul".

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
@Frank Goad -

Given that you’ve demonstrated time and again that you really don’t have a solid grasp of Jehovah’s Witnesses doctrine and their understandings of scripture, the best thing you can do, for the moment at least, is to avoid discussing/debating/arguing religion with your dad.

Of course, if you want to pay the airfare for @Deeje to fly over to talk with your dad, I’m sure she would be glad to talk with him. If that’s not feasible, then why not take the time to study and learn and do whatever else is necessary to truly join the Witnesses?

The fact that at age 31 you are apparently living at home, dependent upon your mom and dad for support, have indicated in the past that you have some sort of memory problems, leads me to suspect that you have been less than forthcoming about issues that affect your ability to be the self sufficient, mature adult that you, no doubt, aspire to be.

This is a well delivered and thoughtful reply. Thank you RabbiO.

@Frank Goad if you live under your parent's roof, then your father is entitled to believe whatever he wishes. If you choose to hold a different view then do not get into conflict over it. Respect your father;s right to believe whatever he wants to as you would like him to respect your beliefs when they differ.

If you like the beliefs of JW's then study the Bible with the Witnesses in your location and get to know what we believe. There is no cost or obligation and because the study is conducted wherever it is convenient for you (it could be a cafe or even a park bench if it is not possible to study at home....) knowledge is what you need...not arguments and questions repeated on an internet forum that invite conflicting ideas.

Make up your mind...its as simple as that.

Invisibilis

Arguing comes from fear, which has nothing to do with truth, love, and faith. In fact, our fears drain our life energy for evil to feed of.

Love your father, unconditionally, and that sort of love can only come from truth and faith. Truth restores and heals anything in disharmony. Over time, such harmony unravels all discord so truth can flow (the way) through us.

'Knowing' what is true is beyond language, meaning, reasoning, logic, and knowledge. Worrying about the soul does not benefit the soul, but truth, love and faith nourishes it _ that is what is important.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

OK... love never fails... we can agree on both religious viewpoints. Let the mature one love the most. :)

But, if you believe that the soul sleeps... did God wake up Moses and Elijah, and then put them back to sleep again?

Matthew 17:3 KJV
3 And, behold, there appeared unto them Moses and Elias talking with him.

Vichar

Keep an open mind, listen to what your parents have to say, but believe what you want to believe. There isn't really a need to argue, right? Your parents are taking care of you, pay them the respect parents deserve, but they don't control your mind. Only insecure people argue and have to be "right," so just listen to what others say politely and then follow your own way.

By the way, I'm not Christian, but even I know the soul survives death of the physical body. It's not faith on my part, but working knowledge.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Sorry to hear about the fight.
I remember when I was first learning, I got into "fights", but I learned that it's best not to fight. It's not easy when you are now learning though, so it's best to learn all you can, first, so that you don't fight, but question.
Questions like, "What do you think?" "Is this the case?" etc.
I think it's good you want to share. That seems to happen automatically when you learn something new. We can't help it, so try this... be patient. Don't expect people will see what you see.
Just ask them, if they see it. If they don't, don't get excited. Just wait patiently.
They may not see that. They may see something else.
For example, they may see a new Frank - the patient, gentle kind, and that may be more important than the idea that the soul survives bodily death.
In time, they may see something different.
So put on your tie, get your Bible, and keep learning. ;)