• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I Don't Know Which Religion Fits Me Best?

lorelaiharlow

*note: PLEASE do not bring Atheism into this. I am not an atheist, so no need to mention it.

I usually wouldn't ask this sort of question to a bunch of strangers, but since you all have so much knowledge I thought it'd be a great idea. I feel so lost. I tried to be a Christian, however I feel like there's got to be something out there that is better for me. EVERY religion has it's flaws though.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My strong beliefs:
-Afterlife. I 110% believe in afterlife, due to many reasons. I don't want to make a debate out of it though, so I will keep those reasons private.

-God. I think God is love, life, science, & beyond. However I don't believe that God is personable like the Christians seem to.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not really keen on the whole Jesus thing.

If you believe in Jesus, I am sorry if this offends you. For all I know he could be real, very real. It's just I've never felt his presence.

Im new here, btw. Sorry if I seem uptight. The last forum I was on attacked me for tiny minor reasons.

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
You don't have to have a title for your religion.
You could just take all of the ideas you believe
in them and simply believe them. What good
is a title anyway?

Welcome to the forums also.
:giraffe:

rojse

RF Addict
You don't have to have a title for your religion.
You could just take all of the ideas you believe
in them and simply believe them. What good
is a title anyway?

Welcome to the forums also.
:giraffe:

Hannah has actually said something that is not about Baggins!

I agree with Hannah - why constrain yourself with labels?

Alceste

Vagabond
Hi lorelai. You sound like a pantheist or panentheist to me (depending on whether you think God IS the universe, or entwined with the universe but extends beyond it).

They're both good descriptions for a person who is keen on God but not so keen on the constraints and dogma of organized religion.

If you like the communal aspect of belonging to a church but the one you went to didn't do it for you, you could always try a non-dogmatic church like the Unitarian Universalists or United Church, where it's not necessary to believe that Jesus is / was a living God. Lots of Christians just think of him as a human teacher and don't believe the miracles and resurrection and all that jazz is literally true.

I am an atheist, by the way. I don't know whether or not that counts as "bringing atheism into this". I'm not going to try to convert you though - there's nothing an atheist can convert someone to. :D

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I Don't Know Which Religion Fits Me Best?
Me either. :hug: Good luck getting there though! Oh, and welcome to the forum, hope to see more of you! It's nice to see where others are going. :)

Sorry to hear you were attacked on another forum - I know how that feels when you come somewhere looking for answers!

Lemme see... pantheism or panentheism might go well with you, or maybe Deism?
What kind of afterlife do you believe in? Reincarnation? One life, that's it?

Perhaps you should check out some of the Dharmic Religions, such as Sikhism (which is a religion I adore! - though I don't think I could do the "no cutting your hair" thing), Hinduism (there's lots of different Hindu groups, most are not polytheistic)

I understand where you're coming from with the whole Jesus thing, but not all faiths regard Jesus as divine :D For example, Islam believes Jesus is human (albeit, a prophet, which is probably not something you're interested in if you don't regard God as personal :D).

Have you tried the "Belief-o-Matic" quiz?
Belief-O-Matic - Beliefnet.com

If you're up to it, post your faith choices up! If you can or if you feel up to it, that is. :)

The Neo Nerd

Hi Lorel,

There seems to be two different considerations when talking about a religion.

1. How you see the 'Higher Power'

and

2. How you interact/manipulate it.

Figure out that then find a path that suits you

-Q

GiantHouseKey

Greetings

Personally, I am athestic, but I will leave that possibility at the door as you've said you're not interested. My own beliefs can be interpreted theistically, although I doubt you'd get very far that way.

I feel that religion should be about what YOU believe, rather than about what someone else believes. For me, I found that I didn't like any organised religion in its entirety, but I liked some aspects of several religions, so I established my own religion (Current Members: 1 ;)). My point is that if you feel you aren't hitting the nail on the proverbial head then maybe nothing is exactly right for you?

Would you be willing to elaborate on what you mean when you say 'God'? Obviously there are so many different views on what God is that nowadays, when somebody tells me 'I believe in God' i'll be like 'Yeah well...What God?' you know?

As Odion says, Panentheism or Deism might be worth checking out, depending, again, on your view of the God you believe to exist

Good luck towards Ourd

GhK.

The_Evelyonian

Old-School Member
Hello lorelai, welcome to the forums!

From the sound of it I would have to agree with those saying Pantheism, Panentheism, or Deism.

However, if you don't find a particular religion that lines up perfectly with what you believe in, that's okay too. As whereismynotecard said, it is really just a title. You know what you believe in and that's the important thing. Not some name that others attach to your beliefs.

Peace be with you! :)

Last edited:
Well , lorelaiharlow , Religion is not the thing which one can accept by just thinking what he thinks better , ones thinking might be right or might be wrong. A person can not judge by its own what is right and what is wrong. It might be possible that you think a particular thing good but i will not OR i think a particular thing very good but for you its very wrong/bad.

so who will tell us what is right and what is wrong ? Surely our Creator Allah (GOD) , let suppose you have to operate a machine in a factory and while operating you seen some fault in it , what will you do , Did you decide by your own that how this problem can be solve just on your belives , of courcse not you will contact to the manufacture of the machine because the person who build this machine better knows what to do with this and if you are going to repair this machine by your own surely you will be at a loose position

Similarly , Allah (GOD) our creator knows best about us , what is good for us and what is bad for us is decided by Allah and not you and me , so the best answer to your question "I Don't Know Which Religion Fits Me Best?" is only what our creator choose for us and that is "Islam"which means complete submission to the will of Allah.So 'Islam' would mean the path of those who are obedient to Allah and who establish peace with Him and His creatures. Its follower are called Muslims.

And for your information Islam is not a new religion. It is, in essence, the same message and guidance which Allah revealed to all prophets before Prophet Muhammad peace be upon him. Allah says in the Qur'ân:

Say: "We believe in Allah, and in what has been revealed to us and what was revealed to Abraham, Isma'il, Isaac, Jacob, and the Tribes,and in (the Books) given to Moses, Jesus, and the prophets, from theirLord: We make no distinction between one and another among them, and to Allah do we bow our will (in Islam)."

If anyone desires a religion other than Islam (submission to Allah), never will it be accepted of him; and in the Hereafter He will be inthe ranks of those who have lost (All spiritual good). (Qur'ân Sura 3- ayat 84/85)

rojse

RF Addict
Well , lorelaiharlow , Religion is not the thing which one can accept by just thinking what he thinks better , ones thinking might be right or might be wrong. A person can not judge by its own what is right and what is wrong. It might be possible that you think a particular thing good but i will not OR i think a particular thing very good but for you its very wrong/bad.

so who will tell us what is right and what is wrong ? Surely our Creator Allah (GOD) , let suppose you have to operate a machine in a factory and while operating you seen some fault in it , what will you do , Did you decide by your own that how this problem can be solve just on your belives , of courcse not you will contact to the manufacture of the machine because the person who build this machine better knows what to do with this and if you are going to repair this machine by your own surely you will be at a loose position

Similarly , Allah (GOD) our creator knows best about us , what is good for us and what is bad for us is decided by Allah and not you and me , so the best answer to your question "I Don't Know Which Religion Fits Me Best?" is only what our creator choose for us and that is "Islam"which means complete submission to the will of Allah.So 'Islam' would mean the path of those who are obedient to Allah and who establish peace with Him and His creatures. Its follower are called Muslims.

And for your information Islam is not a new religion. It is, in essence, the same message and guidance which Allah revealed to all prophets before Prophet Muhammad peace be upon him. Allah says in the Qur'ân:

Say: "We believe in Allah, and in what has been revealed to us and what was revealed to Abraham, Isma'il, Isaac, Jacob, and the Tribes,and in (the Books) given to Moses, Jesus, and the prophets, from theirLord: We make no distinction between one and another among them, and to Allah do we bow our will (in Islam)."

If anyone desires a religion other than Islam (submission to Allah), never will it be accepted of him; and in the Hereafter He will be inthe ranks of those who have lost (All spiritual good). (Qur'ân Sura 3- ayat 84/85)

So... pray to God and go with whereever that leads you, then?

What if it isn't Islam?

Don't take islam means peace's advice to seriously.

He may be biased

-Q

Quaxotic

what made you feel this that i may be biased?

rojse
So... pray to God and go with whereever that leads you, then?
yes ,pray to Allah to show you the right path ,I also pray for you, and what is the right path that is what Allah says and not what you and me think? isn't it simple.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Well , lorelaiharlow , Religion is not the thing which one can accept by just thinking what he thinks better , ones thinking might be right or might be wrong. A person can not judge by its own what is right and what is wrong.
Its always disturbing to read that people have been led to believe that they are incapable of critical thought and personal judgment.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
My strong beliefs:
-Afterlife. I 110% believe in afterlife, due to many reasons. I don't want to make a debate out of it though, so I will keep those reasons private.

-God. I think God is love, life, science, & beyond. However I don't believe that God is personable like the Christians seem to.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not really keen on the whole Jesus thing.

If you believe in Jesus, I am sorry if this offends you. For all I know he could be real, very real. It's just I've never felt his presence.

Im new here, btw. Sorry if I seem uptight. The last forum I was on attacked me for tiny minor reasons.
Are you sure its religion you seek and not spiritual practices, or [spiritual] philosophical study?

Im not saying you are wrong in your thinking, but I'd still like to ask, what leads you to believe you need to be a member of religion to further progress your spiritual beliefs?
also, are you looking to be a member of the mainstream religion or are you feeling more comfortable with the more eccentric and universal side kicks of a mother religion?

dgray

Dear lorelaiharlow,

Have you heard about the Baha'i Faith? Baha'is believe that Baha'u'llah hath "shed upon the world a radiance, the like of which bygone ages have never witnessed."

'Abdu'l-Baha, the eldest Son of Baha'u'llah, wrote that "Love is the secret of God's holy Dispensation, the manifestation of the All-Merciful, the fountain of spiritual outpourings. Love is heaven's kindly light..."

There is an analogy in the Baha'i Teachings about how in this life we are developing spiritual faculties that will assist us in the next world, analogous to the preparation in the womb before the life in this world.

'Abdu'l-Baha wrote: "Unquestionably there must be agreement between true religion and science." "Religion and science are the two wings upon which man's intelligence can soar into the heights, with which the human soul can progress."

Baha'u'llah taught that God is "immeasurably exalted in His Essence above the descriptions of His creatures...The birds of men's hearts, however high they soar, can never hope to attain the heights of His unknowable Essence."

I hope these passages and links below help you in your search, and I would be happy to answer questions.

bahai.org
reference.bahai.org
info.bahai.org
bahaullah.org

mary16

Hi there
Have you ever tried looking into Islam
Islam is the truth it is the way of living life. In Islam we believe in Jesus but we believe he was the messenger of God not son of God or the God just like Moses,Abraham,David,Jacob and so on we believe that they all were Prophets and messengers of God and also the last Prophet was Muhammad (peace be upon them all)we believe in only one God and his name is Allah he is the all mighty the all powerful the all hearing the all seeing of everthing he has no beginning and has no end he created us for a reason and that reason is to worship him and him alone so please just try and do some more research about Islam and i promise you that you wont be disappointed Islam is the fastest growing religion in the world i hope i have helped you and i really wish you all the best.Try listening to this video on you youtube its called The Purpose Of Life by Khalid Yassin he was a priest once but he then converted to Islam.I pray to God that he guides you to the straight path.GOODLUCK:)