• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I caught a 16 pound bass this weekend and the judges in the bass tournament refused to believe me!

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Well, this weekend, my family and I participated in a bass tournament on Lake Fork. Using my favorite lure, I caught a 16 pound bass! Is that amazing or what? Believe me, it was a history making moment!

Lots of people saw me catch that bass, and some of them took pictures. But you know...I didn't feel right about keeping that bass, so after I wrestled the hook from his bloody mouth, I let him go.

Here's where things got really weird. When I told the judges that I had caught a 16 pound bass and deserved to win first place, (get this) - they refused to give me my prize! I mean, even after I told them that I had pictures, they didn't believe me! I mean, surely they understand why I am not going to show them those pictures right now - they're pretty gruesome and I'd hate to upset anyone. But I have pictures. I really do. I may even show them these pictures in a few days - but maybe not.

I am so mad. I mean, for the life of me I can't understand why these judges are doubting my word! What are they - paranoid? Conspiracy theorists? I don't get it. I TOLD them I caught that huge bass, and I TOLD them I have pictures, and I TOLD them why I threw him back - and they're still saying they're skeptical.

What is this world coming to. I deserve that prize doggone it. I don't understand all the skepticism.

A

angellous_evangellous

My original response:

This analogy might not work in this case. Many people have seen the DNA evidence and the pictures - the judges and only the judges. It's not very democratic, but all the evidence will be made known eventually.

That's why the conspiracy theory doesn't hold water. IF the US government created this whole thing, it's only a matter of time before it's leaked... and it will happen faster than usual because of the easy access to sensitive evidence via the internet in general and websites like wikileaks.

Also we have a daughter of bin Laden who saw her father get killed -- and that's coming from Pakistani intelligence.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
eh, Kaythrn? You understand that fisherman and liar are considered synonyms in most countries, right?

(not saying you're lying, just that I can understand why the judges wouldn't take someone's word on something like this).

Obviously, I have no idea at all whats going on here. Don't mind me. :p

Kathryn

Did you injure the wife of the bass?

No, but the bass was unarmed when I caught him.

He was right smack dab in the middle of a school of fish, but when questioned, they all seemed to have been totally oblivious to his presence. Weird.

I do have some pictures of some other bass I caught that day, but they were small fry compared to the one I threw away.

Kathryn

My original response:

You're missing my point. I'm not saying that Osama WASN'T killed in a raid this past weekend. He may have been - and I may have caught a huge bass in a bass tournament this past weekend. Neither scenario is beyond the scope of possibility.

My point is that if I am going to claim that I caught a 16 pound bass in order to win a bass tournament, it would be a good idea to hang onto the body, rather than dump it before I even get back to shore.

No one would blame a judge for being skeptical - whether I caught the bass or not. Just as his skepticism wouldn't change any facts, my weird behavior would not win me any bass tournament prizes.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You're missing my point. I'm not saying that Obama WASN'T killed in a raid this past weekend. He may have been - and I may have caught a huge bass in a bass tournament this past weekend. Neither scenario is beyond the scope of possibility.
Obama?

A

angellous_evangellous

While I have no reason to doubt that Osama was killed on Sunday, it does bother me that the same people who said that there were WMDs in Iraq are saying now that Osama is dead.

Hopefully they learned something from Iraq and didn't lie about Osama. We'll know soon enough if the White House's story matches the evidence that they presented or the evidence that's leaked.

Personally, I don't think that Obama would commit political suicide.

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
Since when have pictures been proof of anything? The Soviet Union doctored the infamous photo of Red Glory hanging high above Berlin and it went unnoticed for years. Crazy people exist everywhere who will reject WHATEVER evidence is released, and DNA evidence sure makes a more convincing argument.

I don't believe for a second that releasing pictures is anything more than bloodthirsty people reveling in a man's death, albeit a bad man.

Kathryn

I'm not saying that photos will prove anything. In fact, they absolutely WON'T prove anything, especially not at this point.

It's the whole "burial at sea in order to be respectful of Muslim traditions" thing that is absolutely ridiculous - and which shouts "really stupid idea" at best and "what's there to hide?" at it's worst.

Kathryn

And it's not a "Muslim tradition".

Bismillah, please tell us more. I thought that sounded weird - not that I'm an expert on Muslim tradition, but I have done a lot of reading on the subject of Islam and I had never heard of such a thing. Is there any Muslim teaching which would imply that this supposed "burial at sea" would be required or expected?

Here's my other question, directed at the administration:

Why, after you storm a safehouse and assassinate an unarmed enemy and several others, are you suddenly concerned with offending Muslims? Seems a bit of a twist, sort of like firing someone with a disability and then worrying about whether or not you followed correct ADA procedure for filing the paperwork after they've already cleared out their office and wheeled down the wheelchair ramp out the door.

You think they're not headed straight for their attorney's office even if you politely hold the door open for them?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Is there a difference? :)
As much as I despise Obama, even I wouldn't rate him down there with Usama.

For me, publishing the pic of his corpse means little.
But the prohibition of its publishing strikes me as a denial of legitimate closure to a decade long hunt of worldwide interest.

Last edited:

Bismillah

Submit
Bismillah, please tell us more. I thought that sounded weird - not that I'm an expert on Muslim tradition, but I have done a lot of reading on the subject of Islam and I had never heard of such a thing. Is there any Muslim teaching which would imply that this supposed "burial at sea" would be required or expected?
The closest thing to a tradition in Islam is the Sunnah which is the sayings and actions of the Prophet.

What you are talking about is the specific rights of the dead, burial at sea is not found within those dictates unless that person is either killed at sea and there is no place to bury the corpse or the corpse runs a risk of desecration.

Furthermore a body that was killed while fighting should not washed and there should not be any prayer uttered over the grave, both of which were ignored.

The fact that Osama was given a burial at sea serves only to heighten the mystery of his death, I won't say why I think he was deposed of in this manner but to add that they also decided on doing so to deny his status as a martyr.

Whatever the controversy over this label being applied to Osama, it is not for us to judge as a martyr is defined by his taqwa and iman unto Allah.

In other words it was an attempt to deny Osama of such claim and to try and hamper any supporters a change to congregate among their hero's grave.